You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:

I guarantee you he did this specifically to rally right wing Christian support because of how terrible he's been doing and to reinvigorate his base. Total condescending gesture. Trumps press secretary didn't know about this and can't even say if he's kicking out soldiers now.

Total cheap, shallow move...

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

yup

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

Funny a guy like Trump, who used health deferments to get out of serving, wants to ban others who are eager to serve our country.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

This has Pence written all over it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

This has Pence written all over it.

Exactly what I was thinking.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

gawd.jpg

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Let's no forget that he decreed all of this from twitter.

It's quite possible that this has absolutely no substance.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

In addition, 2 republican senators have come out against the idea. Next, you'll see the the trumpeters turn on actual heros from their comfy couches.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Twitter --> Pentagon

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

How could the real head cases who want to join the military specifically for sex change surgery make it through the initial process of joining, like the tests, and then make it through boot camp? Not everyone who wants to join actually can. I nearly joined the Army and had several people I know in the Marines try to get me to join and I have a little insight into that, so I just don't see how they could join so nonchalantly. I can assure you, one of my issues in joining had nothing to do with trans people or gays.

If you lose your ding dong and can and still want to perform your duty, I don't have an issue with it at all.

You'd be shocked at who enlists into the military and for what reason.  I had soldiers who were homeless before enlisting, soldiers that enlisted to get healthcare for their autistic child, soldiers that wanted the GI Bill, people that wanted to get US citizenship (the Vietnamese guy I went through boot with in 2000 had an 11 year old wife in Vietnam).  I never cared why someone joined.  Just that they do their damn job. 

I agree, joining solely to get reassignment surgery is a hell of a gamble.  But if being transgendered isn't a disqualifying condition, it can't be used to screen people out as long as they're otherwise healthy.  I don't even know if that would be legal, as people who hid other medical conditions that manifested during training (a previously broken leg that wasn't reported but flares up due to high impact training was incredibly common) and were caught, were quickly discharged and sent home.  I'm not concerned with that aspect.

The sole purpose of a Soldier is to deploy, to fight wars.  Yea, there is a whole lot of bullshit that soldiers do that has noting to due with the military.  I remember one thanksgiving my unit was the last to go home for the holiday because the Sergeant Major literally had Soldiers out picking dark colored rocks from the area in front of the Brigade HQ to make it look nicer.  But as I previously said, I had 3 or 4 guys I couldn't take to Iraq because I needed their equipment (and them) in remote areas of northern Iraq where I couldn't say with complete confidence they would have access to electricity 24/7, ergo I couldn't promise their CPAP machines would always work.  The Soldier can't say "I don't mind or I'll take the risk."  If the soldier has been diagnosed with a medical condition, they need to have constant support according to regulations.  I had a Soldier who had been diagnosed with depression, and while severe depression is generally a medical discharge, it's not always.  But because my unit wasn't going to be on the of the 4 or 5 major bases in Iraq, we couldn't guarantee routine access to the anti-depressants he needed.  He didn't deploy. 

People who undergo gender reassignment surgery need constant medication and constant hormone injections.  If anti-depressants and electricity aren't guaranteed,  how the hell are climate controlled liquids like hormones going to be made available?  They're not, and that's why you won't find a single example of a trans Soldier being deployed.  Sure, you have a Manning type who are "trans" but keep it hidden and haven't been officially diagnosed or treated.  But it's not as if there's this large contingent of "trans" soldiers in the military.  Could someone with type 2 diabetes or Asthma serve in the Army, probably.  But the military is the most egalitarian system there is, so as a matter of entry, no one is given special consideration.  There are waivers, but those are few and far between and generally fall under "moral waivers" meaning someone who had a DUI when they were 18 and are now 25 with years of a solid record trying to join. 

This isn't bigotry.  This is about recognizing that the military is a lethal fighting force that needs to be able to send all of its members to the worst conditions on the planet to enforce the US' will.  Sure, if you get hurt on the job they make exceptions to standards.  I fucked my knees up bad in Iraq due to an injury.  I couldn't/can't run anymore, so rather than have to run 2 miles in under 16 minutes, I had to walk 2.5 miles in under 34 minutes.  But when i was 17 in basic training, I ran the same 2 miles to standard as everyone else.

Board footer