You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Skid Row reunion door closed

James wrote:

Agreed. They tried riding that band wagon and it was at a time when it wasn't really necessary. They should've realized that. The mainstream was evolving again and the mid 90s a transitional phase.

Bolan now thinks the album is a piece of shit. Too bad he didn't realize that during its recording.

The debut has way too many cheesy 80s things to do much for me. I bet the pinch harmonics make Zakk Wylde blow a load in his pants. I see the appeal though, it's something you can sing along to, as a guy it's just metal enough to pass the bar and as a girl it has the fixable bad boy thing going for it.

The debut album doesn't hold up at all. Hell, it barely held up then. 16 It has no deep cuts worth a damn. All anyone needs are its singles.

Youth Gone Wild
18 & Life
Piece of Me
I Remember You

edit: Piece of Me wasn't a legit single. Weird. I'm pretty sure it got played on rock radio in my area. Is this one of those songs that's like an 'unofficial' single? Hell.....they even played it on SNL along with Monkey Business in 91.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16bI7s7Z3R0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyGmUXvSHLE

What an odd 1-2 punch to perform at that moment in time. This was in November. They should have performed Psycho Love and In A Darkened Room....you know....their last two singles of 1991. 16  13

Great performance though....

Slave To Grind is the Skid Row record for me. I'll put Side A of that record up against a lot of albums.

That really is a strong album. Unlike its predecessor, it doesn't contain too much filler.

It was such a bold direction to go in. Almost too risky and I wouldn't be surprised if the label had complaints. The cherry on top being releasing two versions of the same album, one with a 'clean' song, the other with 'Get the Fuck Out'.

Like PAsnow mentioned, the timing was just way off but they couldn't know that at the time. It made waves right out the gates but before year's end, they are starting to quickly fade into obscurity as one of the biggest movements in history takes over a generation.

The debut was safe cookie cutter pop rock with a ballad perfect for junior high dances and proms. Two years later they're getting awfully close to megadeth/Slayer territory and being able to appeal to more hardcore rock/metal fans.

It just wasn't in the cards.

If grunge doesn't happen, they move up a notch towards legitimate headlining act territory.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Slave to the Grind is the only decent Skid Row album.

It`s a proper Heavy Rock not a hair metal shit like their debut or a B-Side compilation like Subhuman Race.

Subhuman Race isn't anywhere in the league of Slave to the Grind, but calling it hair metal? That album sounds nothing like hair metal. Sounds like the band jumping into the alternative bandwagon to me

I clearly said "their hair metal debut". did n`t I ?

Much like Motley Crue. 94 eponymous release is the only decent Crue album.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Personally I like the "hair metal" ones.

To me the first Skid Row Album is great, and Motley Crue is one of my favourite bands - they had some ups and downs but you can make great best off records and good live shows.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

The debut is my favorite album followed by slave

Forget the rest of their discog

I didnt realize there wad a reunion in the cards...and i dont think it would work out anyway... imo skidrow has been lost in the winds of time unfortunately

James

James wrote:

During an appearance this past week on the "Trunk Nation" show on SiriusXM channel Volume, Sabo confirmed that "there was definitely dialog that was going back and forth and there was talk" last year about a possible reunion with Bach. "I think everybody was entertaining the idea," he said. "And I think, really, what it ended up being was we realized that whatever it was that tore us apart years ago still existed.

"We got offered a lot of money," he continued. "There was a lot of stuff that's been said about what happened and tours being booked… That didn't happen — tours were not booked. Any offers that came in came through to me and Rachel, 'cause it's our band. So there was a good amount of money being offered. And then with the dialog that went back and forth, it got ugly again."

According to Sabo, the disagreements between SKID ROW's core members and Bach about a possible reunion "had nothing to do with money. I'll tell you straight up — no one was making was more than anybody else," he said. "That was one of the things that we said… Rachel and I and Scotti, we were, like, 'This is easy from that perspective.' I'm not gonna sit there and do it any other way. It was more about control, I think. Other people having a desire to have more control over this thing than we were willing to give. And it was not about anything other than this is our band.

"This is not ego-driven, I promise you," Sabo reaffirmed. "It wasn't about me making more money than you, or you making more… it wasn't about that at all. I guess it was the personality conflicts that existed before, 20 years ago [that are still there]."

When host Eddie Trunk pointed out to Sabo that MÖTLEY CRÜE managed to complete an 18-month final tour while traveling on separate buses and barely speaking to each other, the guitarist responded: "Yeah, but they were miserable — they were all miserable. And see, that's the thing, man… I don't know… I guess I look at it differently. I really like my life, man. I really like being happy. I have great joy playing SKID ROW music now. Not to say that I didn't before, but in this moment in time, I'm extremely happy. My life is awesome, my friends are awesome, the people I make music and jam with, they're all awesome. And so, I've gotta say, yeah, the idea, the romantic notion of a reunion and the monetary aspect of it is all well and good, but at the end of the day, man, I really enjoy the space that I'm in. I just wanna be a good guy, I wanna be a good husband, a good father, a good friend, a good brother. The way that we existed towards the end, after 'Subhuman Race' and when everything fell apart, it was misery for everybody — not just me; for everybody."

Despite his lack of interest in being in a band with Bach again, Sabo will not completely rule out a reunion with the charismatic singer. "I always never say never," Sabo said. "I guess that's like my way of not committing to saying, 'No, it will never happen.' The chances of it happening, I mean, I would say they're slim to none, but I never say never. But I will say this: in this day and age, we live in the moment, man. I mean, I'm living right here, right now in the moment. And I love having ZP in the band."

Sabo said that he looks back on all periods of SKID ROW fondly. "I'm so proud of everything that's existed between 1986 and now," he said. "A lot of people, if they're in a similar situation like we are — we have a new singer and new drummer we've had for a while — they tend to hide from their past and almost brush it aside. I embrace it. I'm so proud of what we created — the five original members. We had a period of nine, ten years that was… it was furious and crazy and awful and amazing and every adjective you can come up with, and it burned brightly. And then it died out. And sometimes that happens — it happens to athletes, it happens to artists, and it happens to bands. It happened to us — we burned out. And so when Rachel and I and Scotti started… We took a couple of years [to do] OZONE MONDAY; that was like a bridgegap. We wanted to play those [SKID ROW] songs again; we just didn't wanna put the band back together as its previous form was. And so for us, it was really… it wasn't about money — never has been.

"Happiness has always been paramount to me," he added. "And music, to me, is what has always brought me just this incredible amount of joy. It's what fuels my life — creating music, being around music. I wanna create music and play music with people that I enjoy doing it with. And I enjoyed doing it with a bunch of people throughout our career, and then it stopped being enjoyable; the joy was ripped out of it — for a myriad reasons, whatever they may be. Everyone's got their own stories. I take responsibility for my end, for whatever that might be. But at the end of the day, for better or for worse, Rachel and started the band, it's our band. Love us or hate us, it is ours, and we're gonna do with it what we want to do to make our lives happier.

"Being in a band, creating music, writing music is a very selfish thing — it's selfish act," he said. "The greatest songs are written from a selfish point of view — you're doing it to gratify your need and your desire to emote something. And songwriting, first and foremost, is selfish. And then you hope you can connect with people, but by and large, it's selfish. And so if that seems selfish how we conduct our band business, so be it — it is ours.

"I love the fact that people care enough and have a history with the band that they would wanna see that exist again — I really do; I think it's amazing, and I'm supremely flattered by that — I just can't give it to 'em right now, and that's just the way that it is."

Sabo also talked about the fact that Bach's current live set still consists primarily of classic SKID ROW songs, despite the fact that Sebastian has no less than three full-length solo albums under his belt.

"I'm cool with it," Sabo said. 'Again, we had nine or ten years of history together that were pretty phenomenal from a success standpoint. And we had a lot of good times — we did — but, unfortunately, the bad times outweighed the good times, and that's why the band stopped in that form. But as far as going out there and doing SKID ROW songs, he has every right to — he sang 'em. I'm honored, to be honest with you. Some people might look at it differently. It doesn't bother me. It helps keep our history alive. I'm cool with that."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/skid-r … ell-apart/

James

James wrote:

Former SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach was interviewed this morning (Thursday, November 30) on "KTLA Morning News", the morning television news program airing on KTLA in Los Angeles, California. You can now watch the chat below.

Asked if the elements exist for a possibility of a SKID ROW reunion, Bach responded: "Well, [they] exist 'cause we're still alive." Pressed further, the singer admitted: "That's a rough subject for me, 'cause we're trying to put it together, so I don't wanna say the wrong thing." Sebastian closed the topic by saying that a reunion "could be on the horizon."

Bach's latest comments seem to contradict SKID ROW guitarist Dave "Snake" Sabo's recent claim that the chances of Bach coming back to the band are "slim to none."

Bach fronted SKID ROW until 1996, when he was fired. Instead of throwing in the towel, the remaining members took a hiatus and went on to play briefly in a band called OZONE MONDAY.

In 1999, SKID ROW reformed and, after a bit of shuffling over the years, featured a lineup consisting of original bassist Rachel Bolan and guitarists Sabo and Scotti Hill, alongside drummer Rob Hammersmith and singer Johnny Solinger.

SKID ROW fired Solinger over the phone in April 2015, a few hours before announcing ex-TNT vocalist Tony Harnell as his replacement. Eight months later, Harnell exited the band and was replaced by South African-born, British-based singer ZP Theart, who previously fronted DRAGONFORCE, TANK and I AM I.

Sabo told the "Trunk Nation" show earlier in the month that "there was definitely dialog that was going back and forth" between SKID ROW and Bach about a possible reunion, but "what it ended up being was we realized that whatever it was that tore us apart years ago still existed… We got offered a lot of money. And then with the dialog that went back and forth, it got ugly again," he said.

Bach's autobiography, "18 And Life On Skid Row", which was originally made available last December, was released in paperback on November 14.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sebast … 6Kz0KM6.99

James

James wrote:

The door has once again opened a crack....

They have to know its literally now or never. Hitching your wagon to a future GNR tour is the last possible chance for this gaining any momentum whatsoever. After that, it's just clubs and maybe being added to a few festivals....and a lot of these big rock festivals are on the decline.

They were idiots for not pulling the trigger in 2016.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

It's just a shame that they couldn't hold it together long enough to put out more quality songs like Quicksand Jesus, In A Darkened Room and Wasted Time. Those songs are stellar, as is most of the Slave to the Grind album

It really is amazing in hindsight how quick the bottom dropped out of Skid Row. Less than two years.

Slave was an odd fork in the road in front of them at the worst possible moment. The debut sold like hot cakes 89-90 and when they released Slave, it was going in a much harder, serious direction and it lost them more than half their audience. being the opener on hot tours masked this fact temporarily.  A year later, they release that crap B-Side Ourselves EP that was dead on arrival. Literally nobody cared.

I'm amazed that they even bothered with Subhuman Race. MTV wasn't going to touch it and neither was radio.

edit: Isn't it amazing how much longer two years was back then?

I actually really love  Subhuman Race.
Unlike every other hair band trying to get grungy,  they made a very heavy record, clearly influenced by their recent tour with Pantera. This and the Corabi Crud record are wayyyyyy underappreciated.
Native Tongue it wasn't.
I'm pretty sure I wrote  2,000 word essay in the comment section of the full album on YouTube. I'll see if I can find "The Case For Subhuman Race" by Furbush later.
You guys know how I get.
Sigh.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

Dave Furbush
Subhuman Race and Corabi Crue were artistic triumphs in an era where a ton of hair bands were writing shitty grunge albums to try and stay relevant during a major shift in rock. They all sold like shit. And, because of that, the Skids (for all intents and purposes) broke up, and Crue's label (who just re-signed them for a TON of money) made them fire John Corabi (who was infinitely better that the whiny, no talent hack he replaced) and go crawling back to Vince Neil. It's too bad. Both records were diamonds buried in a huge pile of dog shit. Grunge fans hated them because they thought they were pandering, and hair band fans hated them because.. well... They also thought they were pandering. Had both camps listened with open minds, they may have done well, but the minds were made up long before a note was heard, and they tanked.

I maintain that those 2 albums, at least, were wayyyy ahead of their time, and just evolution, and if they were released 20 years later, they'd be universally praised.

Every irrelevant thing Crue has recorded since '94 with Neil was/is fucking pandering.
Blatant nostalgia cash grabbing.
Dog Eat Dog, Native Tongue, Shadowlife, Slang, and Hear in the Now Frontier were grunge pandering. Shit on them. Leave this album alone.

Board footer