You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Ragnar wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

http://nypost.com/2017/08/19/man-stabbe … -neo-nazi/

This is what calling everyone who doesn't group think with Sanders and Warren a "nazi" results in.  But don't worry, SLC will be here soon to make up statistics because he saw a funny segment on TBS last night.

The GAO doesn't even calculate "left-wing" violence.  Not even an entry for it.  But some black guy is added in to stats about White Supremacy violence.  I know that makes a whole lot of sense to me.

It`s mind-boggling how much shit antifa scum get away with in the States.

Antifa wasn't even a word a month ago

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I am not a violent person. I've thrown a punch exactly twice in my life. I've been injured more often trying to stop fights than being in one.

I am a black belt in Tae Kwan Do, as is my wife and son. We spar and practice, more often a couple years ago, and I adhere to the TKD philosophy of using my skills only in self defense.

I don't understand the need to be violent to advance your cause. You've already lost when you're resorting to use force to prove your point. That won't convince anyone. It's the same logic that has over the years proven that spanking kids does more harm than good.

The violence and hate speech being used in the current climate is not conducive to solving any problem. It's making things worse by the day. It would be nice if we had an adult on the right or left that could talk some sense into everybody, but we don't. Trump makes things worse, Obama is just divisive because he's black, Clinton (either one) has worn out their welcome, Pence is just a sycophant, Ryan is a spineless turd. We're really in a bad spot.

I don't agree with ripping down monuments. If municipalities want to do it, fine. But protesters shouldn't be out there doing it on their own. Do i think we need statues to honor people who fought against the U.S.? Not really.  Does it keep me up at night? No. But I'm an upper middle class white guy, so maybe that's my privilege showing.

Overall, I'm pretty pessimistic about us right now. This forum right here is a microcosm of everything that's wrong with America. A lot of bluster and name-calling and belligerence.

It just seems we're painting ourselves into a corner rather quickly. And once your pinned in, fighting your way out becomes option No. 1.  Everyone needs to take a step back and think about what they're doing. It's almost as if there is a snowball effect in action and no one feels a need to stop it.

I despise Trump and many GOP leaders who I think have only two main goals: make the rich richer and overtuen Roe v. Wade. I think that's the endgame. But I'm not seeing any new Democratic ideas that are going to change the game here anytime soon. I feel like both parties have just forsaken the center.

I'm not optimistic about much of anything. I'm keeping my nose to the grindstone and trying to do right by my family. But I also feel like I'm not doing enough to help solve problems. I wouldn't even know where to start, there are so many. I donate time, money, and resources to local organizations, but that doesn't change the big picture to speak of.

Anyway, a long post, I know. And since I didn't call anybody names, it'll probably be ignored. But these are the things I've been thinking about for the last few weeks. You could say I'm nearing hopelessness.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Haha, hell that was long, but I got it off my chest all at once.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Haha, hell that was long, but I got it off my chest all at once.

Great post. I agree things look pretty hopeless right now and it's not going to be easy to dig ourselves out of this mess. Im not sure exactly how we got here but we're in deep now and for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately people would rather see the opposition fail rather than the country do well so they can puff their chests out and say "I told you so". And that's on both sides. We're all to blame and until the divisiveness lessens we're destined to keep spinning around in circles and avoid making any notable progress.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I am not a violent person. I've thrown a punch exactly twice in my life. I've been injured more often trying to stop fights than being in one.

I am a black belt in Tae Kwan Do, as is my wife and son. We spar and practice, more often a couple years ago, and I adhere to the TKD philosophy of using my skills only in self defense.

I don't understand the need to be violent to advance your cause. You've already lost when you're resorting to use force to prove your point. That won't convince anyone. It's the same logic that has over the years proven that spanking kids does more harm than good.

The violence and hate speech being used in the current climate is not conducive to solving any problem. It's making things worse by the day. It would be nice if we had an adult on the right or left that could talk some sense into everybody, but we don't. Trump makes things worse, Obama is just divisive because he's black, Clinton (either one) has worn out their welcome, Pence is just a sycophant, Ryan is a spineless turd. We're really in a bad spot.

I don't agree with ripping down monuments. If municipalities want to do it, fine. But protesters shouldn't be out there doing it on their own. Do i think we need statues to honor people who fought against the U.S.? Not really.  Does it keep me up at night? No. But I'm an upper middle class white guy, so maybe that's my privilege showing.

Overall, I'm pretty pessimistic about us right now. This forum right here is a microcosm of everything that's wrong with America. A lot of bluster and name-calling and belligerence.

It just seems we're painting ourselves into a corner rather quickly. And once your pinned in, fighting your way out becomes option No. 1.  Everyone needs to take a step back and think about what they're doing. It's almost as if there is a snowball effect in action and no one feels a need to stop it.

I despise Trump and many GOP leaders who I think have only two main goals: make the rich richer and overtuen Roe v. Wade. I think that's the endgame. But I'm not seeing any new Democratic ideas that are going to change the game here anytime soon. I feel like both parties have just forsaken the center.

I'm not optimistic about much of anything. I'm keeping my nose to the grindstone and trying to do right by my family. But I also feel like I'm not doing enough to help solve problems. I wouldn't even know where to start, there are so many. I donate time, money, and resources to local organizations, but that doesn't change the big picture to speak of.

Anyway, a long post, I know. And since I didn't call anybody names, it'll probably be ignored. But these are the things I've been thinking about for the last few weeks. You could say I'm nearing hopelessness.

I don't think you should be hopeless. Both sides go for the most sensitive spots that make even the most rational among us dig their heels in the ground and refuse to move. That's the goal.  I know I fall for it. It feels like a tiger is being poked with a sharp stick. I'm showing my fangs about things I could otherwise have a rational debate about.

I pointed out earlier there are young men who are vulnerable to turning to hate groups and the intentional prodding is going to make things worse. Great post, BTW.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:
Ragnar wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

http://nypost.com/2017/08/19/man-stabbe … -neo-nazi/

This is what calling everyone who doesn't group think with Sanders and Warren a "nazi" results in.  But don't worry, SLC will be here soon to make up statistics because he saw a funny segment on TBS last night.

The GAO doesn't even calculate "left-wing" violence.  Not even an entry for it.  But some black guy is added in to stats about White Supremacy violence.  I know that makes a whole lot of sense to me.

It`s mind-boggling how much shit antifa scum get away with in the States.

Antifa wasn't even a word a month ago

Your ignorance of it doesn't mean it wasn't there or talked about.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

This is one of your longest tantrums to date...all so that you could try to make the point that white people arent as dangerous as Islam.

You just need believe that white people are the righteous ones.

He's so predictable.  Every time he demands evidence, when it's produced he writes up a 700 word tirade to try and take you off subject. That's his MO.

Various studies put up that say right wing domestic terror is more of a threat in America, and that Federal law enforcement are more concerned about right wing terrorists than Islamic. He dismisses everything, then demands answers to questions nobody is asking.

I guess I'll email everybody who put together those studies and tell them how stupid they are, since Flagg knows everything, even more than them. He also dismissed an "op-ed" which is based on these same studies.

Randall Flagg

You claimed white nationalists were more of a threat than Jihadis. They're objectively not. Anything else you say is a diversion from your ignorance of the facts.

Mitch thinks no one heard of antifa 2 months ago. 3 days ago you thought more people were harmed in the name of hitler than Allah.

You should be grateful your falsely held beliefs are being corrected.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

You claimed white nationalists were more of a threat than Jihadis. They're objectively not. Anything else you say is a diversion from your ignorance of the facts.

No, I claimed that law enforcement officials across the country saw them as more of a threat than Islamic nuts.

Randall Flagg

slcpunk wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

No, I claimed that law enforcement officials across the country saw them as more of a threat than Islamic nuts.

And you've yet to qualify that opinion from any law enforcement agency, and linked articles that objectively dismissed what you claimed they said. But if you think a study that considers a black guy shooting 9 people because he couldn't get laid as an example of white national violence, more power to you.

Board footer