You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Your Favorite B-Sides / Rare / Unreleased Songs

James wrote:

Even though I love Buckingham(probably the most underrated guitarist in history) I wish he would've not wanted to control every aspect of Fleetwood Mac's recording. You Make Loving Fun one of my favorite songs, yet it only materialized while he wasn't there to guide the songwriting process.

Speaking of songs being "Catchered", FM fans are damn lucky that they never had to endure a Chinese Democracy saga. It never would've lasted as long thanks to a more stable lineup but something just as wacky could've happened to them. Tusk just begs for such a saga. It was too ambituous. Had they not hit the road to road test some of the material, it might've happened.

Another thing that stopped it was the various solo ventures. When the three main artists in the band are all on the top of the charts within a two year period with.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojGKSgug_FM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO1sQPs3U8k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHYoq4f6sXM

....it kinda prevents such nonsense from taking shape.

James

James wrote:

Speaking of Fleetwood Mac outtakes.....

They were crazy for not working more on that track and putting it on Rumours. Its better than Oh Daddy and Songbird.

Only reason to exclude it IMO is they didn't want Stevie getting another song.

She finally worked on the track for her solo album Trouble in Shangrila in 2001 and the track was nominated for a Grammy.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Well James, I'm a believer now.

I listened to Rumors again and I very much enjoyed it. The difference between half-interestedly listening on YouTube and listening hi-fi with headphones is needless to say a stark one. I still wish the vocals had a little more verve to them but the instrumentation is top notch.

I listened to Tusk as well and plan on giving it more spins. Definitely Fleetwood's UYI with too many styles and too many tracks. One of the songs seemed to have influenced Modest Mouse on their Good News record.

Speaking of Chinese Democratis, I listened to the Trouble In Shangri-La record and the underbelly riffing on the title track reminds one of the Riad intro riff. I enjoyed most of the rest of it even if some songs were a little paint-by-numbers. I'd be curious whom those songs were written about. Lindsey's guest spot could just be a guest spot but one wonders how long ghosts doth linger.

I'm gonna check out the last Fleetwood record on my list and a couple of Stevie's other solo stuff. This girl I have a thing for looks like her doppelgänger and an old flame shared her namesake. Life is weird. Is this universe thing recording my calls?

James

James wrote:

Belladonna is the creme de la creme of Stevie's discography. I'd like to see the alternate universe where she takes those songs to FM and it becomes a FM album. She wouldn't do it though. She was dying to go solo.

She deserved an even better career. As incredible as she is, her songwriting talents don't measure up to the incredible voice. She started to lose the plot in the late 80s. She was on major drugs so maybe not too surprising.

Its interesting how around the period of Shangrila Sheryl Crow got into the mix and a few years later almost joined Fleetwood Mac. I don't know the full story behind it but it got close to happening. There's also conflicting stories on what really happened but I believe it. They didn't know what to do late in the game so considered bringing her in to light a fire under the band.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I was underwhelmed by Belladonna to be honest. It'll probably get another spin but outside of the iconic Edge of Seventeen it seemed pretty ho-hum. Even Tom Petty couldn't jazz up my enthusiasm.

James

James wrote:

It brings back great memories for me. Tail end of kindergarten/first grade it was the soundtrack on the drive to and from school until my mom finally got sick of it.

Certain music does that. I cant listen to MJ's Off the Wall or the Doobie Brothers Greatest Hits Vol. II without thinking of being in Texas the summer of 82. Its ALL we listened to in the car.

Not sure why she gravitated towards it. She wasn't a FM fan...at least to the point of buying their albums. My aunts were more into that type of music. FM, Heart(Dog and Butterfly), etc.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Third Eye Blind has a somewhat unreleased/underground hit 'Graduate'. Not sure it was ever a single, but sorta became a well known song. Fits kinda what you're looking for.

Board footer