You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: The Creative Crisis of Guns N' Roses

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I think the bullying of Bucket is the most shameful thing about the whole saga.

So many disgraceful things have occurred it's hard to pick....but I agree that was absolutely shocking. Interestingly bumble revealed he took some shit too when he joined but I think he said he eventually got physical and made it clear that he wasn't leaving.

The question is - who exactly was behind that? Tommy? Richard?

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It was Del and Tommy bullying Bucket.

Bumble said neither Richard or Robin wanted him there because he was treading on their territory. I think him and Frank were tight but that's all I know.

Tommy seemed to bully everyone lower in the pecking order, a problem compounded with drink.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Sometimes I wonder how the band would have gone down with just Bucket on lead (and then bumble).

I mean these songs were written for (and often by) Slash so there's no one that will fit quite like him for the AFD sound, but that said, I can see a band where Bucket and Bumble did most of the lifting as working on the 'guitar hero' level - that was always one of the parts of the old formula.

The other key problem though was axl wanting to change the sound in the 2002 era. Which might have been cool if he'd followed through but instead just doing the old songs with bad solos didn't cut it. It would have been interesting if he'd got Doug Aldrich or a similar slash-like blues player early and instead done a straight up rock record rather than the new stuff being like OMG and Silkworms (even though I like those songs.

I think the public may have accepted something like that a lot more. Also may not have lost Duff and Matt quite as fast.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

It was Del and Tommy bullying Bucket.

That's messed up. I could see the drinking being a factor. If you look at most boots Tommy was getting like 80s Duff...looked like a drinking level beyond fun and healthy to me.

But the whole thing is absurdist to me as well to be honest.

Like Bucket could play circles around Tommy on any instrument..

Mind you I've always wished Bucket would drop the gimmicks a bit. Like he's clearly great at guitar...he doesn't need a raincoat, mask, bucket, toys or mental illness act in order to distinguish himself....he would do fine amongst the guitarists like Vai, Gilbert, Malmsteen etc without it.

In a way it damages his credibility, cos like you have to look past the bullshit to notice he's got the chops to back up the antics. If i could play that well i'd have it hanging front and centre....

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

Slash is a shite rhythm player. And songwriter. You may only need a guitar hero to sell a band but it turns out you need a stalwart rhythm player to write your riffs so you can make music.

Bucket is an average bass player. Tommy is pretty damn good and an underrated songwriter to boot.

The songs weren't the problem. Some so-so or some not great but not the problem. The problem is that it was a vanity record and it wasn't Guns N Roses.

I think Axl filibustered so long he had to change the mode. The 99 very mid-90s experimental, the 01 new metal, the 04 leaks very early aughts alternative, the finished 08 record just bland and "classic". You could argue the whole project was a giant pyramid scheme.

A smart person would've given him a 75/25 mandate. You're going to deliver 75 % classic guns and 25 experimental computer jerking yourself off whatever. And if I hear you moaning over a piano more than once I'm shipping you back to Indiana in a crate you crazy ranga!

Bucket had a chance to de-Bucket when Ozzy wanted him but thank Christ he said put it in your pipe gramps. Bucket is a genius and if people can't take genius from a guy with a horror movie fetish then they don't deserve it. Career moves and popularity be damned.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

As great as Bucket is, he is n`t a band material. He`s too erratic and unpredictable almost a lunatic. Two basketcases in one band does n`t work.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

People always say slash is a bad songwriter....but realistically he's in demand as a guest guitarist because he elevates every single song he plays on... Meanwhile remove slash riffing and solos from afd and I doubt the album would even be famous...

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

supercharged... like that word. spot on for, for example, Nightrain. back in the day, it was a cool jam thing. but in 2001, Bucket made it his own and since 2002 it became a big ride on steroids. a showcase of all 3 guitarists. one of the strongest songs in the setlist.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

We don't know that Bucket was unpredictable. He could've been.

But he could have been a guy tired of Axl's bullshit, bullying from other members, and the inability to and unlikelihood of finishing an album.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

I guess everybody who ever was in GNR was tired of inability to and unlikehood of finishing anything, since UYI was released. only the guys with little impact for recording or guys with flourishing side projects stayed for a long time. I think Bumble's case might be the best example - he really wanted to record and release stuff and increasingly became frustrated as hell.
I don't think Bucket was that much frustrated - it wasn't the recent time when he keeps releasing albums like a madman, but still when he was in GNR, he also released a couple of albums a year - doesn't feel like a frustrated guy to me... he was just, yeah, way too weird. the tales about a chicken coop in the studio are just unbelievable, but if I consider the whole picture - all that seems perfectly believable to me...

Board footer