You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Creative Crisis of Guns N' Roses

James wrote:

There's no doubt the 2016 tour broke some records. As they say, that was then, this is now....

I realize we need the stats of more than one show but when a quarter of the audience is papered, its not a very good sign. Our culture is a lot different than it was during the GNR tours of yesteryear. Life moves fast. What trends today is forgotten tomorrow. It's situations like this(for any band) where a new song can do wonders.

By the way, the Nightrain AFD lithos have gone out to a select group. Nada special.

#AFD30

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I wouldn't worry about them running out of time;

I mean, ffs, he still has unused vocal tracks sitting in the vault from 1999 that they could rework.

I hope that's right.

I we know there's some stuff around...apparently this version of Atlas....we know silkworms sounds good....we know there's a killer TIL version with new vocals. But we've waited 17 years for some of that...I don't think they have 17 more to wait....be nice if some of this stuff could be released properly while they are alive...

I wonder about the long term health implications of the kinda like Slash and Duff led...and to a lesser extent Axl...

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

well... it's quite funny, we're talking about this now right here. because, I think it's around 10 years since Axl & co. really recorded something we know of. not sure how old are those tracks with BBF guitar in left channel, I guess those are much older and he just added the guitar track for some fiddling purpose, but that's history. we know of nothing after circa 2007 (or when exactly were Frank's and BBF's additions to ChiDem recorded?).
since then - nothing. just first a post-Finck weird tour (I hated the lightning and presentations of those shows... reminded me those retro things that musicians do on TV after they turn 70... and Axl's vocals were tragical... altough I never bought the hate towards DJ Ashba), and after that the current nostalgia tour. which is just - existing out of their past.
funny and sad at the same time. I'd like to say this is the end of the road, but I've realised the end actually already happened about 10 years ago, when the last recordings for ChiDem were made. bizzarre shit.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
zombux wrote:

well... it's quite funny, we're talking about this now right here. because, I think it's around 10 years since Axl & co. really recorded something we know of

That is abysmal, the 10 years post CD were probably worse than those preceding it. At least there was hype, OMG, VMA's, BH etc.  Last 10 years were just endless tours, the '10-14 BBF/Ashba era was the pits.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It's interesting to cobble together a timeline.

The record was arguably done by the end of 2003. Hard to do much more without lead guitarists or a studio tab. The leaks we've all heard originate from back then.

You had the cycle repeating itself. The big Rio show in 2004 to kick things off followed by a tour proper and a fall record release.

Axl had a couple days work to finish the album in 2006 and that arguably took 2 years. For what? Shackler's, Scraped, and some overdubs?

He probably did more than that, songs we have yet to hear to polish up the whole 2-disc Chinese Democracy project at a minimum. I remember reading something from Ridley Scott about him thumbing through 30-40 songs for Body of Lies although that is quite hazy.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I wonder what the date is on the 15 second TIL "remix" that leaked?

It was Axl singing over a electronic soundtrack (similar to a child's music box sound from memory). But it was NOT the album vocals - it was in his high raspy voice and with extra "ahhhhs" that were not in the studio cut.

Did Axl sing fresh on that AFTER CD was released? Or was it a case of Brain making something from hundreds of outtakes.

But to the extent you can tell from 15 seconds...it sounded like a much better vocal take than the album version. Lot of rasp.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

I wonder what the date is on the 15 second TIL "remix" that leaked?

It was Axl singing over a electronic soundtrack (similar to a child's music box sound from memory). But it was NOT the album vocals - it was in his high raspy voice and with extra "ahhhhs" that were not in the studio cut.

Did Axl sing fresh on that AFTER CD was released? Or was it a case of Brain making something from hundreds of outtakes.

But to the extent you can tell from 15 seconds...it sounded like a much better vocal take than the album version. Lot of rasp.

I'd love them to take that vocal track and get Slash to do a solo based on his Orlando performance over it, then whack it on a Best Of compilation along with Atlas Shrugged as a "new track".

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I remember reading something from Ridley Scott about him thumbing through 30-40 songs for Body of Lies although that is quite hazy.

So he listens to the vault and just so happens to pick one of the tracks that leaked and was going on the album?

tumblr_meg0gwxh9I1rdgcqvo1_500.gif

Did Axl sing fresh on that AFTER CD was released?

Definitely an alternate take....that was probably recorded before the twin towers collapsed.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

alrighty-then.gif

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Definitely an alternate take....that was probably recorded before the twin towers collapsed.

That's insane if it's an alternate take...as it's like 100 times cooler than what's on the album - and I even like the album version...but this is way better.

I was wondering if it was more modern though as it seemed to be the type of modern rasp axl was using around 2009.

Board footer