You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: Rock In Rio 2017 | Sept 23

zombux wrote:

when was the last time where the proshot was more or less without both technical and voice problems? probably RAR 2006? (and that one was maybe the only one during post-1993 era? yikes )

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

axl is only on point when he has something to prove. when he turned up on stage with billy joel, he sang the best performance of highway to hell he's ever done. with ac/dc, he knew angus and the entire fanbase would not allow him to get on stage and bust through some whole lotta mickey. right now, this tour is clearly about just loading up their bank accounts. with slash & duff in the mix, axl's voice is pretty much irrelevant in terms of selling tickets. only marks like me are going to avoid going to shows because his voice is shot. the only way i'll get a ticket at this point is if they start busting out some new shit. i have no interest in seeing a half-assed (quarter-assed?) performance from axl with the same setlist from last year.

i wonder if the problems with his voice are starting to spread into the casual fanbase. "mickey mouse" was trending on the brazilian twitter during the rock in rio performance. i've also noticed that the gn'r snapchat tends to avoid clips where you can clearly hear axl singing like shit.

zombux wrote:

when was the last time where the proshot was more or less without both technical and voice problems? probably RAR 2006? (and that one was maybe the only one during post-1993 era? yikes )

yeah, that's the last one i can remember. what's really weird is the other pro shots from '06 weren't that strong. i remember being incredibly disappointed during the rock in rio show back then. if only bucket was still in the band for that rock am ring show... we would have the greatest new gnr show ever captured on camera.

i'd bet axl's nerves has something to do with it as well. when i'm really nervous, my voice can tremble. i'd imagine that would have an affect on singing as well, no?

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

yup, agreed. but BBF did hell of a job, absolutely nailed IRS or Nightrain, so even without BH it was a ride!

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It's insane to think there's tracks with Axl vocals from 1999 sitting around waiting to be worked on and the politics of releasing them sorted out in 2017. There's entire albums. There multiple tour documentaries and amazing pro-shots never released. The amount of cool suff they hoard is crazy, and that's without thinking about what they might have done.

It's tragic that Axl has spent the bulk of his professional life semi-retired when for most of it he could do mind-blowing-world-conquoring stuff on a whim if he had chosen to. Think of the throw away moments - think of Axl doing the cover of "Sailing" in 2006 and that wasn't even really his prime. Even now with an older damaged voice you see Flashes of brilliance when he does Axl/Dc. It's his life to live but the overwhelming waste of his abilities is hard to watch.

And /thread.

Very nice put, monkey.

monkeychow wrote:

Perhaps he is ill too. But it's funny how it's always the proshots and the professional recordings where there's suddenly technical issues and illness.

Anxiety and stage fright, perhaps?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
otto wrote:

Anxiety and stage fright, perhaps?

I think that's a factor at times.

Re-watching the infamous raincoat Rio12 performance it reminds me of when someone gets on "tilt" in poker.

For those not into it - Tilt refers to when anger and frustration at some bad luck cause a person to start playing below their normal skill level.

In Axl's case you could kind of see he was upset and frustrated at messing up in 2012 and it seemed to be causing him to compound it. From memory he ended up not even singing the outro of NR.

Plus it's likely a lot of his historical late starts were related to anxiety, he talked a lot of having to get into the right mindset etc.

That said...it's clear he uses his scream a lot more in Ac/Dc than he does in GNR at the moment...and I think part of it is that he knows he can get away with less in GNR.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Anyone of you actually believe stage fright horseshit 14 ?

Funny how waxy never runs out of excuses.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I believe it.

It seems like he alternates between hyper confidence and insecurity with his work in general.

I don't think it's the solution to everything but I do think some of his behaviour over the years could be attributed to mental health issues.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Isn't anxiety a mental health thing too? Like rich or poor or rockstar or not you can still get butterflies and have issues mental health wise.

And maybe that's why the late starts happened, I don't know. Only Axl knows. But he has cut that shit out.

Does his voice suck here? Probably haven't watched it. As not really interested in a set list that adds Black Hole Sun to the list.

Axl can have a shit night once in a while.

He can shut us all up, by getting those creative juices rolling and releasing new music with Guns. That's how you shut up the haters.

It is good to see Axl looking happy. And having his pals back.

Now is the time for the "Brian Wilson" of Hard Rock to get his redemption album.

I'm not holding out, but it would be nice.

Don't release a turd, but, also don't hold back in fears of failure. Cough Pet Sounds was a failure at the time. Don't think. Don't rest on the past. Don't recycle old producers. Work with a musician that knows your shit. Not someone that is not real rock but, rock.

As I've said before: Lindsey Buckingham is where the gold is at. Also, Tom Petty knows how to produce albums, too.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I believe it.

It seems like he alternates between hyper confidence and insecurity with his work in general.

I don't think it's the solution to everything but I do think some of his behaviour over the years could be attributed to mental health issues.

This reminds me of Patience for some reason. In 02 before the infamous Philly riot-no show, everything seemed to be going okay, then he fucked up Patience badly. He ended the concert and stormed off, not to be heard from again for 4 years.

The Yellow Jacket incident show he fucks up Patience again, badly... Had the crowd not been so awesome and actually started singing it for him as he just stood there, staring off, which ended up being an actually sweet moment, I think he would have stormed off again.

It seems something is up when he starts forgetting words.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

I believe it.

I really don't like it when people start speculating about Axl's mental health – it's not something we know anything about, it's not our place to, and it's his own business.

Board footer