You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Football

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah I agree the NFL has alot of problems. Ratings are going down. Personally, I feel Instant Replay has become too much. It interupts the momentum of the game. 10+ years ago your team scored a TD you were jumping up & down celebrating. I swear this past weekend the Eagles scored and 3 straight times the TD was reviewed. Half the time they don't even get the replay right, and it doesn't need to take 2-3 minutes with some old fuddy duddy ref running over to some 6" monitor. Half of them could be radio'd down from NY/LA HQ within 30 seconds.
Just a gripe I"ve been having that I feel has gone underreported.

And yeah, the whole Anthem thing has been botched, probably from Day 1. I'm not sure if/how the NFL could've gotten out in front of it earlier, but maybe if they said he CAN kneel if he wants, but we feel ALL players should stand out of respect, or something like that. It's become too much. I felt bad for the guy in Pittsburgh who seemingly nearly apologized because he was the only one who stood (dumb move btw for the Steelers to stay inside lol, that just looked stupid).

My beef with it, is that there's no end game in sight for it. The issues have no 'official' ending, sure things can be done over it, but they won't "end".  Not within the next 1-2 years, so are they going to sit/kneel indefinitely?!   And if so, why no kneeling for an end to gang violence/murders etc.  Sure -1% police brutality or whatever is an issue, but thousands of people are murdered each year from crime & gangs. No ones looking out for them?

Also, I hear the Chargers have been failing bad in LA. I didn't see SF but they look depleted. As Flagg said owners still sold the tix, but it doesn't look good.  Moving the Rams, Chargers & next Raiders to Vegas was a baaaaad move imho. I think the Raiders are gonna flop. Vegas is full of people FROM other cities. It's like Miami & LA, people typically aren't from there, they're from the entire US & venture there, but they'll remain NYG, Chi, SF, ATL, GB etc fans, they're not going to convert to Raider fans. Not in a diehard season ticket kinda way, they might watch them casually on TV a bit. We''ll see, but I predict mistake.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I don't know why Kaepernick is suddenly Ghandi. Has anyone actually seen him play the last three years? He's horrendous and toxic on top of it. He wore socks with pigs with cop hats on. He praised Castro as a hero, the guy who would have put Don Lemon in a prison camp for even a hiccup in news coverage that wasn't 100% positive for him, and also for being gay... If not killed. Yet, Don is arguing you cannot criticize the protests at all. And championing Kapernick. BTW, he was brought in for the Ravens to try out, and again, he wanted starter money and his girlfriend publicly insulted the owner and Ray Lewis.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I don't know why Kaepernick is suddenly Ghandi. Has anyone actually seen him play the last three years? He's horrendous and toxic on top of it. He wore socks with pigs with cop hats on. He praised Castro as a hero, the guy who would have put Don Lemon in a prison camp for even a hiccup in news coverage that wasn't 100% positive for him, and also for being gay... If not killed. Yet, Don is arguing you cannot criticize the protests at all. And championing Kapernick. BTW, he was brought in for the Ravens to try out, and again, he wanted starter money and his girlfriend publicly insulted the owner and Ray Lewis.

He certainly is an interesting guy...remember when he was posing nude (or close to nude, can't remember) during his first season? The reason I remember him so well is because his first game was against the Bears and he torched them.

In the end, he put his money where is mouth was...

This is going to get worse before it gets better. Isn't this how Trump wants us though? As divided as can be?

I saw some great memes today about:

Vick dog fighting, Ray Lewis murders someone, Ray Rice phsyically beats his girlfriend on camera...but Kaepernick is where you draw the line?

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I saw some great memes today about:

Vick dog fighting, Ray Lewis murders someone, Ray Rice phsyically beats his girlfriend on camera...but Kaepernick is where you draw the line?

See, this is another of the NFL's problems. It isn't standalone Kaepernick.  Its the combimation of issues, from rape, assault, DUI, fights in clubs, dogfights, Replays, Nitwit commentators commenting on replays, commercials, Thursday Night Football (not), moving cities etc.  Its had a multitude of issues, so the ratings isn't any 1 thing.

I saw a meme or FB post about how its ok to owners to beat your GF ('Sure, come play on our team'), but kneel during the Anthem and your blacklisted from the league. Some truth to the badness of that. Not saying it's good to protest the anthem, more just commenting on shouldn't it be bannable offense for domestic assault.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Its been said many times but a lot of people are getting fed up with the SJW nonsense. Kappy and his GF are the sports poster child(ren) of that nonsense.

That might be why some have "drawn the line" with his bullshit.

Pasnow is right...its a bunch of problems that are now being rolled into one. They made a HUGE mistake by getting political. The country is drowning in partisan hackery. People cant go five seconds without mentioning Trump...his lovers or haters.  It became more about that than the supposed real issue they're "protesting".

Its a bunch of nonsense and once the NFL starts losing tons of money over it, you're gonna see these people go back to acting normal real fucking quick.

Money talks. It always does and it always will. When you allow your money to be your voice, the thing you have a problem with usually goes away.  Sit there like an idiot on youtube spazzing out over how the players are doing this= nothing changes.  Change the channel and don't buy tickets= normal players during the anthem.

Its not rocket science.

A lot of this lunatic fringe stuff would go away if people would deal with it properly.

James

James wrote:

I just read where Anheiser Busch is doing polling to find out how its consumers feel regarding this nonsense....and the lines crashed.

Yep....this will be ending real soon.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I dunno, mix in CTE & concussions, violence off the field, large salaries and I think the NFLs in a slow decline.  Think about it, baseball was king from the 30s-60s, Boxing ruled in the 60s & 70s, the NBA (and NHL) was nothing but a sideshow sport until the 80s. Sports go up & down, come and go. I think it's going to continually lose a portion of its base. Kinda like rock music, it's ending.

I bet in 10 years the NFL is pretty drastically less monumentally impactful on our society than it was 5 years ago. Mark Cuban was right, it's a product that you can't oversaturate to your market.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

The LA Chargers are a joke. 30,000 seat stadium full of opposing fans either visiting for the weekend or transplants living in LA. On 3rd down in the 4th quarter the Eagles Linebacker was raising his arms up & down egging the fans on to cheer & make noise. And they were the road team!!  Announcers said it was over 50% Eagles fans in the stadium.

How can a coach & GM recruit players there, and how will players ever take it seriously. They'll just phone it in by week 5 & collect their paychecks. Same with the Rams & Raiders when they move. Terrible moves.

James

James wrote:

Wow. That is a clusterfuck.

What were they thinking by moving TWO teams to LA around the same time?

I know I'm not a fan anymore and certainly no expert on the matter but here's what should've happened....

Move the Chargers to Oklahoma or some other area of the midwest lacking a major sports team(Alabama? Arkansas?). Moving them to LA simply guaranteed a best case scenario of them being the NFL's LA Clippers. Literally no one gives a fuck.

Not sure what should've been done with the Raiders...a truly historic franchise. Sending them to vegas was not the answer. Will the stadium be crowded? Of course its going to.....with papered tickets from non-fans or casual fans at best. Go spend a few hundred on the slots and then watch a Raider game before going home.

Maybe the Chargers should've been the Vegas team. if it goes to shit, better it be the Chargers and not the Raiders.

They also need to figure out the preseason issue. Should've been fixed 20 years ago.

James

James wrote:

https://nypost.com/2017/11/16/nfls-ship … -the-boat/

Awful. I already said it but I don't know how people continue to watch that mess. It's an abomination...a facsimile of what football is supposed to be.  I know people continue to walk away from it in droves but I'm amazed that there's not a complete crash.

There's also an article about ESPN's downfall...

https://nypost.com/2017/11/18/despite-c … erstuffed/

Why aren't they learning? They want to stay on course while hemorrhaging money and viewers? Who thought it was a smart idea to hire people who race bait when the majority of your viewers are white?

We truly live in historic times.  A billion dollar company so afraid to faux outrage someone that they'll continue to indulge the outer fringe while an industry goes down the tubes.

Does anyone here still watch ESPN?

Board footer