You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: guns n roses record label situation

monkeychow wrote:

Makes me wonder if it was the other way around though.

Like Axl just woke up and decided it was time for a reunion?

Or did it seem like a good idea when the record company wasn't interested in another CD album, and the band was getting forced into smaller and smaller venues.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Or did it seem like a good idea when the record company wasn't interested in another CD album, and the band was getting forced into smaller and smaller venues.

Axl was always going to reunite GN'R.

It was originally going to be 3 CD albums, then a reunion on an anniversary of AFD, I think it was the 25th, I cannot remember, but there was a plan in place.

Obviously things did not pan as planned, and I guess it was the money offered by Coachella that kicked the reunion into gear.

Randomly, I am probably looking more forward to an Axl autobiography rather than any new GN'R material. For me, I would like to hear how the last 15 years panned out from his perspective, I would find that more interesting.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

I think it was a confluence of events. The band had been playing smaller and smaller venues for years. Tommy having to bail created a window of opportunity for Duff (you'll never in a million years convince me that hotel meeting was entirely coincidental). Duff coming in created the circumstances under which Slash might come back. Axl and management start to see the possibility of a partial reunion and the corresponding payday and potential for playing bigger venues after years of diminishing returns. Bumblefoot, already frustrated over years of not cutting an album, hands in his notice. The Slash thing suddenly becomes a real possibility. Once that happens, everything clicks into place nicely.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
sp1at wrote:

Randomly, I am probably looking more forward to an Axl autobiography rather than any new GN'R material. For me, I would like to hear how the last 15 years panned out from his perspective, I would find that more interesting.

imagine how chaotic an axl biography would be. i'd doubt he'd want any editors. the whole fuckin' thing would read like this n' shit.

according to sebastian bach, axl has over 12,000 pages already written. i can't find it right now, but i swore there was an actual quote from axl about his autobiography. if i remember right, he said it was all about the breakup from his perspective.

if it does ever come out, it'd get us closer to the truth, which would lie somewhere in between slash and axl's take on things.

i'd take a documentary of the cd saga over anything, though. give me footage of the band rehearsing unreleased songs, show us axl cracking jokes in the studio, buckethead playing ungodly solos in a chicken coop surrounded by husky shit, etc. that period of the band was way too entertaining not to be captured on film.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

dalethirsty wrote:
sp1at wrote:

imagine how chaotic an axl biography would be. i'd doubt he'd want any editors. the whole fuckin' thing would read like this n' shit.

Going by the Oh My God press release and those essays in the expanded Chinese Democracy booklet, he could really do with an editor:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news … t-19990922

He's definitely a wordsmith when it comes to lyrics, but his prose rambles on a bit and could do with tightening up. I'd volunteer my services, but he'd probably just tell me to fuck off.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I've mentioned it before, but unfortunately I can't say Tom Petty anymore.

Axl just needs to rerecord stuff and if he has some new shit do it with Lindsey Buckingham as producer. No fucking Brendan O'Brien Bon Jovi fuck or any other assholes. That have no idea what it is like to be in a band that was huge / has expectations.

He needs a professional musician with credentials as producer.

The Buck is where it is at. Or Mike Campbell.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I still think if they want to capture the best sound of Guns N’ Fuckin Roses, they need Mike Clink. Each album with him captured them perfectly, and got better with each release. TSI, though not many like the album, the band sound absolutely killer. Drums are punchy and in your face, Slash’s guitars are clear, sharp and fat with killer tone, Duff’s bass melodies shine through, and Axl’s voice is the crown on top of it all.

I see no other producer capturing pure GNR other than Mike Clink.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

who needs a record label, if you don't want to record (not even talking about release) anything?

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I still think if they want to capture the best sound of Guns N’ Fuckin Roses, they need Mike Clink. Each album with him captured them perfectly, and got better with each release. TSI, though not many like the album, the band sound absolutely killer. Drums are punchy and in your face, Slash’s guitars are clear, sharp and fat with killer tone, Duff’s bass melodies shine through, and Axl’s voice is the crown on top of it all.

I see no other producer capturing pure GNR other than Mike Clink.

Yes, absolutely. The mid-90's Mike Clink stuff sounds absolutely amazing, the production on IFOCS is one of my go-to examples when discussing the topic with other recording enthusiasts.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

No fucking Brendan O'Brien Bon Jovi fuck or any other assholes. That have no idea what it is like to be in a band that was huge / has expectations.

Brendan O'brian has worked with some massive acts....Ac/Dc, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, Audioslave....they're not exactly unknown bands.

Black Ice and Rock or Bust for Ac/Dc are the good example...modern albums that were embraced by fans and the media yet still sounded like the classic stuff....

I think he would be a good choice. I know he was associated with Libertad..but I think the problems there were the bands not his...especially as he came in late to the party on that one....

But I agree with Alex that Mike Clink would be idea if he's still working.

Board footer