You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:

Beat me to it.

The security guard didn't vanish after all.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor … eres-show/

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Hmmmm.

Question, the Supreme Court said what part of the Trump Travel ban were legal. But now 2 more judges are blocking it. What the fuck is the point of the Supreme Court if any regular judge can shut the thing down again? I am not saying if the Ban is good or bad, but why do these lower judges keep doing this when the SCOTUS already addressed this??

It all depends on the language, besides this is a new executive order from Trump, so a new round of scrutiny. He brings this shit on himself by basically calling it a Muslim ban.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Beat me to it.

He did stand up Hannity and more news type shows and went with the easier talk show.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Hmmmm.

Question, the Supreme Court said what part of the Trump Travel ban were legal. But now 2 more judges are blocking it. What the fuck is the point of the Supreme Court if any regular judge can shut the thing down again? I am not saying if the Ban is good or bad, but why do these lower judges keep doing this when the SCOTUS already addressed this??

There’s no recourse for activist judges who violate and distort the constitution. SCOTUS blocker lawsuit shopping last year which will hurt the litigious, but each federal court covers an area. Unfortunately Hawaii and the West Coast courts are incredibly out of touch, and rule with little regard for constitutional text.

They’ll get their hands slapped again and Trump’s ban will continue to be enforced. This is why Trump wants to add more judges and has talked about adding more federal courts. I have mixed feelings on it, but we need some mechanism to remove judges and districts that are abnormally overruled by SCOTUS.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Beat me to it.

He did stand up Hannity and more news type shows and went with the easier talk show.

It could be he was offered a lot of money for the exclusive interview.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Hmmmm.

There’s no recourse for activist judges who violate and distort the constitution. SCOTUS blocker lawsuit shopping last year which will hurt the litigious, but each federal court covers an area. Unfortunately Hawaii and the West Coast courts are incredibly out of touch, and rule with little regard for constitutional text.

Couldn't the west coast and Hawaii courts say the same thing about Trump being out of touch? Interestingly enough...shouldn't the states get to decide some of this? Or is that only left for things like Obamacare? You act as though the law isn't a fluid thing.

Now we see why it was so important to block the judge nomination that Obama put forth...what a stupid fuckin' game.

Let's not forget to mention that it's stupid and based in malice and anger. Also, the immigration problem comes from nobody wanting to work together to find a reasonable solution to this...this problem goes back decades. This solution is hateful and shortsighted.

They’ll get their hands slapped again and Trump’s ban will continue to be enforced. This is why Trump wants to add more judges and has talked about adding more federal courts. I have mixed feelings on it, but we need some mechanism to remove judges and districts that are abnormally overruled by SCOTUS.

Right...just continue to change the rules when you don't get what you want. More of the same....seriously...if we're gonna do it like that let's just abolish the congress and supreme court and just let Trump decide everything.

It all amounts to a pathetic game and makes a mockery of our government. I have less reason to trust it every day lately.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Hmmmm.

Couldn't the west coast and Hawaii courts say the same thing about Trump being out of touch? Interestingly enough...shouldn't the states get to decide some of this? Or is that only left for things like Obamacare?

Let's not forget to mention that it's stupid and based in malice and anger. Also, the immigration problem comes from nobody wanting to work together to find a reasonable solution to this...this problem goes back decades. This solution is hateful and shortsighted.

Right...just continue to change the rules when you don't get what you want. More of the same....seriously...if we're gonna do it like that let's just abolish the congress and supreme court and just let Trump decide everything.

It all amounts to a pathetic game and makes a mockery of our government. I have less reason to trust it every day lately.

The Supreme Court should get the say IMO in this case. We have national boarders and must have a national immigration policy. Can't have one state doing one thing and another state doing something different. The is one of the few items that is the federal gov't responsibility along with National Defense.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Couldn't the west coast and Hawaii courts say the same thing about Trump being out of touch? Interestingly enough...shouldn't the states get to decide some of this? Or is that only left for things like Obamacare?

The Supreme Court should get the say IMO in this case. We have national boarders and must have a national immigration policy. Can't have one state doing one thing and another state doing something different. The is one of the few items that is the federal gov't responsibility along with National Defense.

Aren't these federal courts that are blocking these orders? There must be some sketchy things about it...it's strange to me that he selects the countries that he does.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Aren't these federal courts that are blocking these orders? There must be some sketchy things about it...it's strange to me that he selects the countries that he does.

There really isn’t. The federal courts have been overruled at nearly every step on this. Immigration is a federal domain. States can’t dictate who gets to be a citizen, as they fundamentally lack that power, and free movement and full faith would require other states to recognize them.

There’s nothing really controversial about Trump’s EO on this. Intelligent, skilled workers aren’t coming from these countries. These countries have piss poor infrastructure and records so they’re prime candidates to exploit. At the end of the day, the counter argument is Trump is “mean”, and that doesn’t have much legal framework. This ruling will be appealed and SCOTUS will stay it just as they did the last time.

The President doesn’t have the power to confer legal status, but he can influence who gets to enter the country.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

The Republican party attracts such creeps

Board footer