You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Bobby "the brain" Heenan has passed

misterID wrote:

Yep, Coverdale was in Deep Purple.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

It really amazes me they couldn't find a place for Brain. I guess he was considered old, but he could have been a great fit on Smackdown. I might have actually watched it.

Under no circumstances whatsoever, even the end of the world, do they put him on TV in that condition. He probably wouldn't have wanted to anyways.

That's a helluva lifestyle.

But damn Vince was just a machine.

Indeed it was and yes he is.

I really need to read a book(does one exist?) that goes into that whole operation. I think its fascinating. I've watched various wrestlers interviews talking about it and I believe its more of a grind than what rock stars endure. A lot of wrestlers couldn't handle it. A majority of those who left WWF to go to WCW left because of the insane schedule. They loved WWF money but couldn't hack the schedule.

Flair LOVED it. He was living that character though and such a schedule is tailor made for the Nature Boy.

On topic, there will never be another Bobby Heenan.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

James...i take it you haven't listened to "something to wrestle with" yet...they peal back the curtain in unbelievable ways.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
misterID wrote:

It really amazes me they couldn't find a place for Brain. I guess he was considered old, but he could have been a great fit on Smackdown. I might have actually watched it.

Under no circumstances whatsoever, even the end of the world, do they put him on TV in that condition. He probably wouldn't have wanted to anyways.

That's a helluva lifestyle.

But damn Vince was just a machine.

Indeed it was and yes he is.

I really need to read a book(does one exist?) that goes into that whole operation. I think its fascinating. I've watched various wrestlers interviews talking about it and I believe its more of a grind than what rock stars endure. A lot of wrestlers couldn't handle it. A majority of those who left WWF to go to WCW left because of the insane schedule. They loved WWF money but couldn't hack the schedule.

Flair LOVED it. He was living that character though and such a schedule is tailor made for the Nature Boy.

On topic, there will never be another Bobby Heenan.

Of course not without his jaw! I meant with the acquisition of WCW in 2000.

James

James wrote:

Someone found a youtube video showing how Elizabeth was a slightly different character when she first came to WWF to be Savage's valet. I'm one of the people who remember this but most wrestling fans think you're full of shit when you bring it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY4wuo93_68

I wish all the promos would surface. While Savage was ranting and raving, she'd have a devious smile on her face.

It couldn't have lasted longer than a few weeks. They must have realized it wasn't working and she needs to be a saintly character so you sympathize with her and causes Savage to get even more heat.

Watching it now also feels unnatural due to the image we've had of her all these years.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Where'd they find Russell Brooks?  Eating a double  cheeseburger at the bar next door? 16

I watched WWF as a kid but tuned out for the most part in the 90s. What are you saying James, was she more active & involved here? I thought there was something to it like she didn't recite/act well, so they kept her quiet (if that's what you're referring to. Yeah, they probably had to adjust & make some changes to her character in whatever way. She was the first.

Did you watch Glow, on Netflix? You should check it out, I think you'd like it.

James

James wrote:

She grabs the mic and asks Hogan why doesn't he face better challengers. That is totally out of character for her.

You're right...she was a TERRIBLE actress and that might have also played a role in tweaking the character. I'll never forget that SNME when Savage turned on Hogan. Elizabeth is supposed to be injured and is in the dressing room on that bed. She's supposed to be in pain but laughs a couple times while Hogan and Savage were arguing.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

She grabs the mic and asks Hogan why doesn't he face better challengers. That is totally out of character for her.

You're right...she was a TERRIBLE actress and that might have also played a role in tweaking the character. I'll never forget that SNME when Savage turned on Hogan. Elizabeth is supposed to be injured and is in the dressing room on that bed. She's supposed to be in pain but laughs a couple times while Hogan and Savage were arguing.

omg...she was fukin' terrible at acting. I remember that whole summer of love/marriage stuff...jake roberts sent them a snake in a gift box for a wedding gift. She opens it and she's supposed to look and be terrified. Instead she rolls around on the ground almost looking like she has no use of her lower extremities. She lays there while a snake is only a few feet from her. She look as afraid of the snake as she would be of a kitten.

James

James wrote:

You also have to take into account that she was basically forced into the role. WWF was going to go with someone like Missy Hyatt as his manager but Savage vetoed the idea and instead went with his own wife. Smart guy....kills two birds with one stone...keep tabs on his wife while also bringing in two hefty paychecks instead of one.

He's lucky Vince even allowed it although it didn't take long for Vince to see her potential and he pushed her to the moon.

I still say Vince should've offered her a blank check to come back during the Attitude era. WCW was wasting her and she was going nowhere quickly.

He would've known what to do with her in that environment.

Board footer