You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:

I’d love to see it. What’s your Twitter handle?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Anyone see Trump’s tweet calling Kim “short and fat”. How fucking low can he go. We have a 7th grader as president.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I missed it. But that’s pretty tame considering. Still, I’m sure Kim saw it and is fuming. That’s not the type of thing that would start a war, but there’s no redeeming value to doing it. It does just show that type of man he is. He degrades and insults and humiliates because he can. I don’t think anyone tells him “no.”

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

*removed*
I started out snarky, he gave me a snarky response. He actually made a good comparison about Kylo Ren and The First Order with young white men and white nationalism, but made a pretty superficial conclusion. Then tried to pivot that it was just an article about Ren's entitlement issues and nothing deeper, when the whole reason I read the article was that he framed it as a deeper look into Ren as an insight to our politics. And he still got Ren's psyche wrong with how superficially he looks at him. Which is the whole point!!

misterID

misterID wrote:

The more I think about it, Kylo Ren is not an entitled brat, but a confused, sad, angry, damaged and alienated kid with a shitty father who got into a predator's van. You had an uncle trying to force an ideology in this kid, to strip away his identity and become part of something else, and not encouraged to find himself. And he was seduced and manipulated by that predator to turn those feelings of anger into hatred and twisted it into his own perverse ideology by simply saying: you matter.

People want their monsters and villains. Conservatives villainize Muslims the way liberals villainize white men. In reality, extremists represent such a tiny, tiny fraction of the population. But those groups need monsters, they amplify their voices and act as if they're something bigger than they are for their own self absorbed reasons, to elevate their own identity and beliefs. Seriously,csomeone calling themselves a Nazi today is the equivalent of calling yourself a vampire. If you marginalize and villify people, why are you surprised when one gets into a predator's van? Does it even matter?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Kylo killed his father. He massacred the new Jedi order. He allied with Snoke and cheered as the first order blew up 5 planets.

Kylo is certainly a conflicted character, but this isn’t just some daddy issues.

But my personal theory is Kylo isn’t interested in being a sith. He just understands to truly understand the force, you need to embrace both aspects of it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Well yeah, but his issues definitely transcend him being an entitled brat also.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Is this Star Wars stuff?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Best conversation in the whole thread...

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Is this Star Wars stuff?

DNC shake up.

Board footer