You are not logged in. Please register or login.

auad
 Rep: 3 

Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About 2002 MTV Video Music Awards

auad wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=KVGI7Z6EUcA

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Pretty interesting. I don't think anythings mindblowing or unknown.

Hidden Text:

The first 2 seem to just relate to him being a surprise/not on the list type issue. And I think he embellishes it a bit. The last one, Slash & Duff, remember it was 2002, there was no youtube & little internet video so its likely if the missed it they'd have to borrow a VHS copy from a friend. I could envision them passing & just saying Nahh, that's ok.

. The radio interviews are cool to listen to.

I still remember fortunately I happened to watch it that night, great memory. I saw Jimmy Fallons intro, saying 'We've tried to get this next performer on for years' and I'm thinking blah blah blah... then I noticed his T shirt hidden behind his jacket, but I could make out the GnR logo. I began saying out loud "No way. No way!  No way!!!" and literally was jumping up & down full of adrenaline celebrating. Haha, what a dork but I became passionate about them again. TBH probably moreso since than 87-93.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:

I already knew all of those lol

There were rumors GNR was playing the VMAs so I remember all of the gnr forums watching, then when it started the band sounded amazing, and Axls opening scream was amazing then he opened his mouth to sing and everyone was in horror and shock.

Then the fuckery began.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I remember Pink on the preshow saying something about Buckethead. Full circle!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I've read there were rumors of a Guns appearance. I think James has mentioned it. I didn't hit HTGTH till about 04-05 for some reason, can't even remember why. I think I was just curious what they were up to since the post 2002 cancellation disaster. What boards or types of forums/communities were active 01-02?

I do recall searching the internet to see what Adler was up to. Didn't hit a board I don't think but I came across an article & I think Adlers Appetite might have had a small website back then. Would've been between 00-03 based on where I was living at the time, so it may have been before or after, but I think it was before.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Everyone from grannies to gangbangers were snake dancing down the street. Other than the reunion last year, it's the only genuine buzz GNR had in the 21st century. Yeah the media was giving killer reviews for HOB/Rio in 2001 but the spotlight was on them at the VMAs. Unfortunately it was temporary.

It still amazes me that they would bother to go public without an actual plan of attack. He said years later that he was pretty much forced into doing the 2002 period. I believe him. There was no method to the madness.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Not like there was method to 2006 either.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Funny, for all the criticism of Axl’s voice during the VMA performance, I thought he knocked it out of the park with Madagascar. It’s almost like he wanted his new material to outshine old GNR, so he sang it better

I wouldn’t put it past Axl...

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

I already knew all of those lol

There were rumors GNR was playing the VMAs so I remember all of the gnr forums watching, then when it started the band sounded amazing, and Axls opening scream was amazing then he opened his mouth to sing and everyone was in horror and shock.

Then the fuckery began.

Dude...
I wasn't even internet capable at home. I had zero clue.
It was in the local newspaper the next day. I bought the paper on my way to work, and read it during my lunch break.
I completely marked out and when I left work, I immediately went to Wal-Mart, bought a blank VHS, went home, popped that puppy into my VCR, and waited for the replay.
I shit you not.
I recorded it. And must have wore out that tape over the next few years. A kid at work had what he called "The Leaked Chinese Democracy" that he downloaded from Napster or some shit, and burned me a copy of what was, essentially demos and live shit with OMG to boot.
Better
TWAT
IRS
Catcher
The Blues
CD
RATB
Silkworms
OMG

My fucking god. Popping that CD into my car stereo and hearing Better for the first time was like a religious experience.
Imagine.
Remember?
I didn't even get a PC/ an internet connection for like...2 or 3 more years.
But that VMA tape and bootleg CD got me through.
I still have the CD in my truck.
smile

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Everyone from grannies to gangbangers were snake dancing down the street. Other than the reunion last year, it's the only genuine buzz GNR had in the 21st century. Yeah the media was giving killer reviews for HOB/Rio in 2001 but the spotlight was on them at the VMAs. Unfortunately it was temporary.

It still amazes me that they would bother to go public without an actual plan of attack. He said years later that he was pretty much forced into doing the 2002 period. I believe him. There was no method to the madness.

axl seemed to be riding a high after that performance as well. a few months after the show, he did a rare interview with the wrif radio station in detroit.

during the interview, he actually brought up his plan for the next couple years. revisionist history states that sebastian bach was the only one to ever mention the whole multiple albums thing, but axl was the first one to ever bring it up, way back in 2002!

Axl, November 2002 wrote:

When we do drop the record, the plan is to drop the record, have a bunch of extra tracks... about a year or so down the road, drop another record, and drop a third record. It's a three stage thing and we'll be touring for a real long time.

at least the last part is true. 14

Board footer