You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I've been abstaining from the discussion because tax law is something I am very ignorant on, but I was listening to McConnell's press briefing yesterday and his comment was if we grow the economy

I honestly believe the left isn't interested in making America a competitive country. 

Putting America first doesn’t necessarily mean putting everyone in America first.  There some big winners and some losers in this new deal.

If the tax cut was a little bit more equal in its treatment of everyone and their supposed tax cut then I can get much more on board with this but I don’t see that happening. It is not objectively true that everyone is going to receive some form of a cut. There are some tax brackets that went up a ticker two.

Now here’s the part where he says  “the standard deduction is doubled right? And then I’ll come back and say well then the whole thing is a fucking wash then isn’t it?

There are many different ways to put America first. This put some Americans first not everyone.

The majority of Americans are going to pay less in taxes.  So when a majority think that they're going to pay more, that's a sign of ignorance and misinformation.  I've yet to see an article claiming more Americans will pay more, specifically those making less than 50k.  If an article exists making the claim, I'd love to see it.

Single people with no children are one type of American who won't really feel much benefit.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/08/chart-s … t-you.html

I like how this graphic shows it. There are a few people that will actually move up a tax bracket by as much as 5-6%. Single filers making between 112k and 190k will be moving FROM the 28% tax bracket to the 33%.

This article is admittedly a bit old....and they didn't reduce the tax brackets in the way the article was hypothesizing...but tax brackets did change.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

What entitlements are you guys worried about?  Social Security?  Medicare?  What exactly do you guys have your panties in a bunch over?  Why do you really think there's going to be enough support from the public to get rid of those things?  If they cut those things, they are all out of office in a heartbeat.  Use your heads for something other than a hat rack.  However...

Some sort of reform is needed.  It should happen.  No more free rides for the lazy.  The problem is going to be how to establish who is lazy and who genuinely needs the help.  I don't have an easy answer for that.  Full drug testing isn't cost effective, though some sort of random testing (just the threat of it) would be okay in my book.  There's a solution somewhere, but someone smarter than I am will have to figure it out.

My only problem with drug testing is how it impacts children.  Mommy smokes a joint (not even considering the states where it's medically or recreationally legal), fails her test, and is denied assistance.  What about her kids?  We have a huge opioid crisis in this country and while I have little sympathy for those who go down this dark path (and my own brother has done so), letting people die in the streets isn't a real answer.  People with nothing to lose tend to act on it. 

That's why to your point, the left pretending Republicans are going to end entitlements and millions will be lined up at soup kitchens is hogwash.  It's not going to happen.  But if we could bring some sanity to how we dole out money and what strings are attached to it, I'm all about having that discussion.

Are you okay with deporting the illegal kids?  I am, but given your stance above I am curious as to your thoughts on kids and immigration.

If we're playing my perfect world, marijuana would be legal and taxed, so the kid would be fine.  If you're doing stronger stuff, the kids are going to be taken away from the mother anyway.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

What entitlements are you guys worried about?  Social Security?  Medicare?  What exactly do you guys have your panties in a bunch over?  Why do you really think there's going to be enough support from the public to get rid of those things?  If they cut those things, they are all out of office in a heartbeat.  Use your heads for something other than a hat rack.  However...

Some sort of reform is needed.  It should happen.  No more free rides for the lazy.  The problem is going to be how to establish who is lazy and who genuinely needs the help.  I don't have an easy answer for that.  Full drug testing isn't cost effective, though some sort of random testing (just the threat of it) would be okay in my book.  There's a solution somewhere, but someone smarter than I am will have to figure it out.

My only problem with drug testing is how it impacts children.  Mommy smokes a joint (not even considering the states where it's medically or recreationally legal), fails her test, and is denied assistance.  What about her kids?  We have a huge opioid crisis in this country and while I have little sympathy for those who go down this dark path (and my own brother has done so), letting people die in the streets isn't a real answer.  People with nothing to lose tend to act on it. 

That's why to your point, the left pretending Republicans are going to end entitlements and millions will be lined up at soup kitchens is hogwash.  It's not going to happen.  But if we could bring some sanity to how we dole out money and what strings are attached to it, I'm all about having that discussion.

Are you okay with deporting the illegal kids?  I am, but given your stance above I am curious as to your thoughts on kids and immigration.

If we're playing my perfect world, marijuana would be legal and taxed, so the kid would be fine.  If you're doing stronger stuff, the kids are going to be taken away from the mother anyway.

I think we should just end the drug war...what an immense waste of time. It’s a complete epic failure and would save a lot of money.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Putting America first doesn’t necessarily mean putting everyone in America first.  There some big winners and some losers in this new deal.

If the tax cut was a little bit more equal in its treatment of everyone and their supposed tax cut then I can get much more on board with this but I don’t see that happening. It is not objectively true that everyone is going to receive some form of a cut. There are some tax brackets that went up a ticker two.

Now here’s the part where he says  “the standard deduction is doubled right? And then I’ll come back and say well then the whole thing is a fucking wash then isn’t it?

There are many different ways to put America first. This put some Americans first not everyone.

The majority of Americans are going to pay less in taxes.  So when a majority think that they're going to pay more, that's a sign of ignorance and misinformation.  I've yet to see an article claiming more Americans will pay more, specifically those making less than 50k.  If an article exists making the claim, I'd love to see it.

Single people with no children are one type of American who won't really feel much benefit.

I like how this graphic shows it. There are a few people that will actually move up a tax bracket by as much as 5-6%. Single filers making between 112k and 190k will be moving FROM the 28% tax bracket to the 33%.

This article is admittedly a bit old....and they didn't reduce the tax brackets in the way the article was hypothesizing...but tax brackets did change.

I'm single with no children in the income bracket you mentioned.  My taxes are estimated to go down about $2500 according to the NY Times calculator.

Randall Flagg

buzzsaw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

If by illegal kids, you mean DACA, I'm open for a discussion.  But yes, I am fine deporting the hordes of unaccompanied minors coming to the border.  We can't accept them, and just because they're caught doesn't mean mommy or daddy didn't already sneak over or are hoping to use them as a means to get access.  Chain migration needs to end.  That it ever went beyond juvenile child or spouse leaves me speechless.  Nephews and cousins shouldn't gain you access.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I'm single with no children in the income bracket you mentioned.  My taxes are estimated to go down about $2500 according to the NY Times calculator.

Can you link the calculator?

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

My free articles are up for the month, but I think this is it:  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 … 60&gwt=pay

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

My free articles are up for the month, but I think this is it:  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 … 60&gwt=pay

It says in the article that 3/4 of Americans are getting a tax cut so some aren’t.

Cool little toy though. Wish the had one for LLCs/sole proprietors.

Lol...i put in my info and it says no data fits your scenario/ no estimate

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

It says in the article that 3/4 of Americans are getting a tax cut so some aren’t.

No one said everyone was.  But my comment was that half the country thinks they'll pay more, when that's not true at all.  And it's going to help out people who make under 100k and have children more so than it does now.  So the middle class and the poor are going to end up paying less in taxes, unless they're part of the crazy few who have a million itemized deductions.

My point only was that this tax bill helps most Americans, and just because the ignorant masses don't know that to be true, doesn't make it any less so.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

No one said everyone was.  But my comment was that half the country thinks they'll pay more, when that's not true at all.  And it's going to help out people who make under 100k and have children more so than it does now.  So the middle class and the poor are going to end up paying less in taxes, unless they're part of the crazy few who have a million itemized deductions.

My point only was that this tax bill helps most Americans, and just because the ignorant masses don't know that to be true, doesn't make it any less so.

Im not ignorant man...what i said was i have a problem with how the benefits of this new plan disproportionately help certain people in society. Not just a little...a lot. And there’s no garauntee how these sects of society will use it.

I’m guessing this could be up to a $25k reduction for me. I ain’t struggling and i didn’t need this...but of course I’ll take it.

Board footer