You are not logged in. Please register or login.

auad
 Rep: 3 

Re: Blind item on crazydaysandnights.net

auad wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

If it isn’t Mike Clink, I would love for GNR to maybe talk with Bob Rock. One of the finest Hard Rock producers ever.

And yes, on TSI I loved the mix. Sorum sounded huge and Slash’s tone and this Mix on Ain’t It Fun was damn perfect. Sonically it is THE best GNR sounding album.

I Agree with U man.
TSI have the best sound in terms of sound and mix. it sounds heavy, fat and cohesive.

I do not believe in any rumors any longer.
That Frank is inadequate to GNR, everyone knows. seems to be that good employee who claims nothing. Sorum has never been a puppet, and has always played very well in the band.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:

I think the band has way more songwriting potential then many people would think. They were on a list to release something, be it an album, live cd, who knows. So that happened. This band named its tour "Not in This Lifetime", came back out of nowhere on APRIL FOOLS day. Most of there promotion has been fucking with the fans, and its my opinion that's why an album will come out. Because no one expects it and have written them off again...that means no media trying to tear it down before it comes out. If and when Slash just goes back to conspirators after the tour ends, and Axl does nothing, and Duff does what Duff does, then okay. Which so far they haven't, i will accept that i am wrong. But i think they know this is there chance. None of there solo adventures would ever be able to top what a new GNR album could do. Either they put something out soon or i would have to think they are done. Why the fuck would you wait a couple more years to do something, it would make no sense. Axl said two things at the China Exchange 1: He didn't want the old lineup to end, he basically said he favors it. CD2 was heavily rumored to be near a release before the reunion. So the lineup implodes for whatever reason, Slash and Duff come back. 2: He said "i've got a lot of stuff together, i've played it for Slash and Duff and they might be on it, idk if soon is the word" To me that implies his focus is on finishing CD2 regardless of whats happening. And i think soon now is the word (that was in 2016). I know before he took forever to record and that's what a lot of people are saying, but if you put Slash and Duff in there it's not going to matter. Its Slash and Duff and it's Guns N' Roses. They just record parts that follow the same song structure as whats already there and improvise where they will and done. For CD2 its not like there are vocals and synth and keys etc, i'm sure that's done already. Probably has been for awhile. They know they have a rabid fan base online, they know there are sites that will pick up on little discreet comments, like when DJ Ashba's FB comment or whatever basically acknowledging he left for Slash to come back. Duffs wife friend going "Guns n Roses are back motherfuckers" or something like that. And everything now. It's all planned. I wouldn't be surprised if we got an album completely unannounced at this point. My prediction: Chinese Democracy 2 with some retrospective title that's some kind of exclusive product, produced by Caram/Axl, this year.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
DtM51 wrote:

My prediction: Chinese Democracy 2 with some retrospective title that's some kind of exclusive product, produced by Caram/Axl, this year.

Broadly I agree with most of your points. I suspect it might be a bit later though.

My timeline:

1. Band records now. Probably records some new jams as well as Slash and Duff putting down stuff on existing CD2 stuff. Some songs may be altered (similar to the way Slash and Duff re-jigged better).

2. European tour happens to close off NITL shows. Basically the existing tour. New stuff is mostly things like a new cover song or perhaps unplayed (this tour) CD cuts like Street of Dreams or something else from UYI. There's a possibility they shock everyone with a new song similar to Madagascar in 2001 but I think it's more likely in this era they'd hold fire on it and just do the NITL tour show.

3. Post the tour (4th Q this year) tinkering recording session. This is a chance to polish off anything that didn't get done before the shows and to alter the new material now it has sat with them for a while. Axl could finish off any vocal parts he wants to alter here too now everything else is basically in the can.

4. Jan- Feb 2019 - Album is mixed and mastered. Delivered to label who commences to warm up the hype machine for 2 or 3 months.

5. Summer (northern hemisphere) release and new huge tour commences in support.

So that's my guessed timeline - mid 2019 - later if absolutely anything goes wrong.

However I do agree that something will happen.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I broadly agree with monkeychow, but I suspect they're going to take more of an balanced approach to the recording; everyone brings the ideas they've been working on to the table, the band democratically agrees what to work on, with the producer acting as final arbiter. Throw everything into the mix; CD2, Fortus' hotel-room jams, unused Velvet Revolver riffs, etc etc.

They then re-record the tracks from the ground up, for a more organic, spontaneous feel (also because I very much doubt that an A-list producer is going to want to work on decade-old recordings that have been reworked and reworked over the years).

I could also see them dropping a new track at, say, Download – the publicity it'd get would be enormous. If not that, then at least make an announcement that they're working on an album (though I could see Axl being leery of promising new material, given his past experiences).

Also: there's a (slim) possibility that they could get the record out for the 2018 holiday season rather than summer 2019 – maybe do some promo like a NYE gig ahead of a summer tour in 2019?

The other big question is, could Izzy or Adler (or, hell, Sorum or Tommy) drop in for a guest slot? UYI had plenty of guest performers, after all.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Because if you take a good Slash riff and some Axl lyrics and bodge them together in Audacity you get this:

That's a good song, and it's just the accidental synergy of riffs and lyrics that happen to be in the same key and tempo. Now imagine what they'd do together if they were actually recording from the ground up, with a professional producer.

The thing that's always been missing from each one's solo work is the other. Axl has a great lyrical turn of phrase and passionate vocal delivery. Slash has an ear for a good riff, an immediately recognisable guitar tone and emotive solos. Both of them have been storing up riffs and song ideas for years; we know there's an entire Velvet Revolver album with Corey Taylor sitting in the vault, and at least one finished GN'R album on Axl's hard drive. They've been jamming together over the course of the tour; they have on-stage chemistry. I'm confident that at the very least they can deliver a Black Ice, a late-career album that reminds everyone why they were great. And who knows, they might whip out an Estranged or a There Was A Time.

Other than a song or two, I think it will mostly be reworked vault tracks. I'm not complaining about it either. I'll take it.

The time is now. Rock is dying. Music is becoming less important. No one buys...they stream.

Metallica has the right idea. Start unloading the vault while there's still an audience to unload it to. It's time for GNR to take the same approach.

It does look an awful lot like their respective solo projects were working on the assumption that there would be a six-month window for recording, tours and promo after the NITL tour went on hiatus... and then suddenly Slash and Duff became unavailable. For some reason.

Yep....previous schedules have been altered for something. It could be more touring or whipping up an album to help push the next monster tour. if they want to maximize tour profits in the coming years, an album as promotional tool would be necessary.

We may have reached that point.

TheSundanceKid wrote:

I want Lindsey Buckingham ha.

In a fantasy scenario its the perfect choice.

In reality....I don't want the guy responsible for Tusk working with the guy responsible for Chinese Democracy.

We don't have enough time left....

misterID wrote:

I hope it's true, but my first thought is Deep Purple with Bob Ezrin. Ezrin is the only producer with the balls to make stipulations like that outside Mutt Lange. Blackmore approached David Coverdale not long ago to make an album, and Ezrin is slated to make that new Deep Purple album.

A new GNR album will most likely be Caram or someone like Brendan O'Brien. I don't see Axl giving up control to someone barking orders at him.

No one cares about Deep Purple....especially as a "blind item". They're not a major band anymore either.

Brendan O brien? I'll take it and its probably best case scenario.

elevendayempire wrote:

I could also see them dropping a new track at, say, Download – the publicity it'd get would be enormous.

Not as much as hardcores would like to believe.

If going the new song approach, release it to youtube, spotify, etc. where it will actually make waves and not just performing it at a show where the news is just mixed in to a review.

This is a major band and it needs to be treated like one.  The "play Maddy at Rio, Better at Hammerstein" approach is for the birds. Go big or go home.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I suppose an argument could be made that Axl is warming to being a public-facing persona but the new music thing needs some combination of interview rounds, the award shows circuit, and a non-iconoclastic music video, all of which are borderline sacrosanct to Axl's personage.

He will have to be in the right headspace, offload some to his cohorts, and probably dig deep into the cellar in the personal fitness department.

It'll be interesting.

elevendayempire

James Lofton wrote:

Other than a song or two, I think it will mostly be reworked vault tracks. I'm not complaining about it either. I'll take it.

The time is now. Rock is dying. Music is becoming less important. No one buys...they stream.

Do they? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38487837

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter … 35131.html

Streaming is huge, no denying it, but there's still a place for physical media. Really, GN'R just needs to get smart about how to release music – to get on board with all the integration of social media and streaming services and physical media, making sure that they have a (gag) "holistic approach to their marketing".

And I dunno about the whole "it's just going to be the vault with overdubs" thing. Something about the fact that they're clearing their schedules for studio time, deferring to the authority of a producer etc, makes me feel optimistic that we might get some more jam-based tracks created from the ground up. The challenge, as always, is for Axl to come up with lyrics and finishing touches – and to rein him in from studio tinkering.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I don’t get the Rubin worship. I want Clink or Bob Rock. Rubin has the resume but he makes me nervous like he might try to make GNR something they are not. I could be way wrong. If it is him I will support it for I do want an album.

elevendayempire

Smoking Guns wrote:

I don’t get the Rubin worship. I want Clink or Bob Rock. Rubin has the resume but he makes me nervous like he might try to make GNR something they are not. I could be way wrong. If it is him I will support it for I do want an album.

I think it's mostly the fact that Rubin has mainstream name recognition where Clink, Rock, Lange etc don't. Ask the man in the street to name a famous producer and they'll probably say Rick Rubin. He's worked across genres, he's worked with big acts like Metallica, Sabbath, the Chilis etc. And he single-handedly revived the career of Johnny Cash with a stripped-back, lo-fi "respectable" suite of albums. So GN'R teaming up with him would be pretty big news. Like you say, though, there's a concern that he might try to twist the band into something it's not.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

One of my favorite ever produced albums is Shake Your Money Maker by the Black Crowes. It sounds amazing and of course it has great songs. He wasn’t the “producer” but added his name to the liner notes as “executive” producer. I like the actual producer of that album

http://www.feelnumb.com/2010/01/20/the- … dit-fight/

Here you can see where they even fought with him. Corey Taylor from Slipknot said he showed up 4 times etc and was extremely expensive and would never use him again. He is also accused often of being a big contributor to the “Loudness Wars”. GNR are not the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Rick is 54 years old. Younger than Axl older than Slash. I think he “could” be good. He has the resume. BUT, he also has a huge ego. That scares me. GNR is like Stones/Led Zep level classic band.

Board footer