You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: US Politics Thread

slcpunk wrote:

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

FlashFlood wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

So the shooter was 19, enrolled in high school with the last name Cruz. Cuban refugee maybe?

You call me for injecting race?

Also, I’ve been here since...IDK. FOREVER.

How dare I make an educated guess based on his age, last name and geographic location. It’s as if Cruz isn’t a Cuban name and Florida isn’t a major destination for Cubans whom were admitted without question until the end of 2016. It’s as if 19 isn’t really old for a high school senior, implying some kind of troubled past, like someone who fled their home. Yes, yes. Any consideration of facts is racists if you acknowledge people have different appearances, culture and naming conventions.

I questioned the accuracy that a Hispanic looking guy with a Hispanic name would be in a white power militia. You pop in to accuse me of racism, then we find out my skepticism paid off for the very reasons I listed. Some guy with no connection to neo nazis and whom isn’t even white, committed a horrible massacre. Probably because he was a piece of shit loser and wanted revenge on a girl who shunned him.

The first link I saw yesterday was ISIS, just like ID said. But that was proven bunk immediately after it appeared. But the media ran full press the second it was rumored to be some alt-right faggot in his Neo Nazi glory.

I like facts. Not speculation or knee jerk reactionary bullshit. Banning assault weapons isn’t a realistic solution. It’s pure fantasy. It’d never get through Congress, because Congress could never ban all semi-auto rifles, and even if they could, you have 100 million out in the wild. And these rifles make up less than 1% of all annual gun fatalities. Banning them doesn’t even put a dent in firearm murders. It’s pure mental masturbation.

I’m not being a dickhead when I say an assault weapons ban won’t work. I’m telling you the 94awb didn’t do anything. Look at the AR-15s they designed for Massachusetts after they banned all AR-15s. The gun industry will design guns that do the same thing by engineering around the law.

The 2nd amendment is real, SCOTUS affirmed that. They also confirmed the right to own handguns, which are responsible for 90+% of firearm deaths. So the only way to change that is a new amendment. Congress can’t make a law to remove it. Good luck getting 3/4 of the States to change the 2nd amendment. That’s why I ask for solutions. Not fantasy that congress is going to magically unite with 90% of the population and sing kumbya as every American tosses their guns into a steel vat.

Yes, Mitch. Bad shit is going to happen occasionally.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

What do you know, white power wasn’t involved.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2 … 341751002/

Listen man...you and your ilk just 12 months ago closed the borders to certain countries, regions...people....because you said they were the problem. You as in...the Trump base.

That context was framed and put into focus by the current political party (and their supporters) in office. Did he not lead us to believe that if we just stop 'letting' these people into the country things will get better. Well not only have they not gotten better but the worst shootings in the countries history have occurred in the past 6 fucking months.

So if you're going to defend all this with a flippant, 'what do you know white power wasn't involved' and think that proves things are getting better or safer....good god man you're sadly mistaken.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Not being confrontational, Flagg, but genuinely wonder what you think could be done to make a difference without running afoul of 2A?

(But let’s not kid ourselves, the GOP Congress will do nothing)

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

Nothing can be done! Says the guys who don't want to do anything.

17 more dead kids is the result of doing nothing. Gun apologists like Flagg say laws won't matter, won't change anything. Same old tired argument. In the meantime...more carnage.

Such logic!

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

Anybody else read about Gates? Sounds like he's about to flip too...

Guess we'll see soon.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

bigbri wrote:

Not being confrontational, Flagg, but genuinely wonder what you think could be done to make a difference without running afoul of 2A?

I honestly think the first thing to do is put these shootings in perspective. Yes, they get huge publicity, yes they’re horrible, but they’re a fraction of 1% of gun murders. Pretending this is more than an extreme outlier isn’t beneficial.

But I’d quit glorifying these fucks for a week every time it happens. That’s half the reason they do this shit, to get the notoriety. I’d enforce our mental health guidelines and quit making excuses for everyone. Rather than call people fucked in the head, we make excuses and try to redefine mental illness as an alternative lifestyle. Some people should be locked up.

But watch how many scream when I suggest that. If school shootings are a real threat, like it’s something parents and students should realistically have to plan for, why aren’t we arming teachers and having police at school?  I grew up in red neck USA with less than 500 kids in my high school. And we had an armed sheriff on site every day.

I don’t want to live in a world where kids fear violence at school either. But if that’s the world we live in, why don’t we mitigate the risks of living in it? 

Tighten gun laws. Ban high capacity magazines. Write a new assault weapons ban. But SLC can post 20 pages of tear field responses and attack me as a naysayer, but he’s still not provided one practical solution. He thinks repeating attacks or somehow wins an intelligent argument.

I’m being a realist. People who want to cause harm are going to be fake to cause harm. There’s 300 million guns in this country and the right to own them and handguns isn’t up for debate. I don’t think banning assault weapons will stop them, but if someone can justify why banning them would lower the rate of homicide, I’m all ears.  But even in a magic world where assault weapons vanish overnight, you still have 99.x% of shootings still happening.

I don’t think guns are the primary problem. They existed before this alleged epidemic. Why can’t we talk about what changed and what we can realistically do to combat it?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

A very tiny minority of human beings are capable of this. There most definitely needs to be a profile (yes, profile) for schools and work places that these behaviors are noticed and demand a psychological evaluation. And yeah, an instant background check would help.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:

But watch how many scream when I suggest that. If school shootings are a real threat, like it’s something parents and students should realistically have to plan for, why aren’t we arming teachers and having police at school?  I grew up in red neck USA with less than 500 kids in my high school. And we had an armed sheriff on site every day.

I don’t want to live in a world where kids fear violence at school either. But if that’s the world we live in, why don’t we mitigate the risks of living in it? 

I don’t think guns are the primary problem. They existed before this alleged epidemic. Why can’t we talk about what changed and what we can realistically do to combat it?

We're all just saying the same thing in different ways. The problem here is that I can't pretend guns aren't made for any other purpose than killing. That is their only purpose. To kill.

What changed? Deep down, I don't think it's about race either. But that sure keeps us distracted doesn't it? I don't want it to be a white guys but I also don't want it to be scapegoated and the brown people either.

You said before that 90 plus percent of guns deaths occurred in gang violence (with the aid of someone else). I'd start right there. Study that shit....what went so fucking wrong a microcosm of society that people decided their best option was to get in a gang and get involved in drug distribution.

You can't just gloss over this anymore if you really want to tackle this topic. In the world of behavioral economics, many psychologists would say there is no free will. They would say that organisms simply choose the best possible options of their choices.

Take the skin out of it, the religions, the sociology, your definition of morality....simply the analysis to the individual. Ask why/how this was selected as the best choice of all the possible choices.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I honestly think the first thing to do is put these shootings in perspective. Yes, they get huge publicity, yes they’re horrible, but they’re a fraction of 1% of gun murders. Pretending this is more than an extreme outlier isn’t beneficial.

But I’d quit glorifying these fucks for a week every time it happens. That’s half the reason they do this shit, to get the notoriety. I’d enforce our mental health guidelines and quit making excuses for everyone. Rather than call people fucked in the head, we make excuses and try to redefine mental illness as an alternative lifestyle. Some people should be locked up.

Tighten gun laws. Ban high capacity magazines. Write a new assault weapons ban. But SLC can post 20 pages of tear field responses and attack me as a naysayer, but he’s still not provided one practical solution. He thinks repeating attacks or somehow wins an intelligent argument.

I’m being a realist. People who want to cause harm are going to be fake to cause harm. There’s 300 million guns in this country and the right to own them and handguns isn’t up for debate. I don’t think banning assault weapons will stop them, but if someone can justify why banning them would lower the rate of homicide, I’m all ears.  But even in a magic world where assault weapons vanish overnight, you still have 99.x% of shootings still happening.

To be fair we have been saying 300 million guns for years. How many millions are purchased each year to add to that?

We have more Fuckups than ever.

Home Life is worse than ever.

Social pressures are higher than ever.

Parents don’t monitor their kids close enough.

It is too easy to buy an AR 15 and 30 round clip.

Board footer