You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Sorry Mitch. Kind of surprised kids were not talking about it at school.

I remember being 8. Things I loved at 8, Poison, Def Leopard, GNR, Auburn Football, Michael Jordan, Dan Marino.. Hahaha

Thanks to all of you for listening...i know this isn’t exactly a political topic...but i feel its kinda relevant to the discussion we’ve been having about guns.

It was sobering.

Sobering how? I’m genuinely interested in your take. Sobering as in the realization how irrational people can be on the topic (threatening to suspend your 8 year old for using a word in the Ten Commandments) or sobering that you agree with your daughter’s teachers that a fellow 2nd grader could enact the carnage witnessed last week in Florida and such vigilance is warranted?

The first thing they was sobering was sharing with a kid how fukt up this world is...and suggesting that she’s not as safe as she thinks she is.

Second, yes....i mean i don’t know about all kids but this little girl is sweet and kind and the worst thing about her is she can be bratty. She has no history of violent acts and is by most accounts a teachers pet.

But i guess i also understand that the teachers don’t create policy...they just carry it out.

So those two things for starters.

Edit: I’m not sure it’s fair to call someone who is afraid, irrational.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/listening-se … 54901.html

So...this was probably pretty predictable...

I think we're going to have a pretty hard time making the distinction between school and prison in the near future.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:

I think we're going to have a pretty hard time making the distinction between school and prison in the near future.

I don’t understand why putting armed police officers or trained and armed teachers in the class room is so controversial. Either you want practical solutions or you don’t. There’s over 300 million guns out there. They’re not going anywhere.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

You think a teacher wants the responsibility of having let alone shooting a gun?

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Pure idiocy. But expect nothing less from this group.

More guns!

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Imagine all the guns we can sell to teachers and armed guards! The NRA wins again!

I can tell you, arming teachers is absolute lunacy. Why do people go into teaching? They love kids and love to teach them. Imagine that same teacher having to shoot a kid he or she loves? It won’t work. It’s not in their nature to kill. They are nurturers. The teacher will just be killed and their gun taken.

How about the first time a student disarms a teacher or one of these vets? I think it would be smarter to just have a police officer assigned to schools that don’t already have resource officers.

I’m not sure what the solution here is, but i know it’s not more guns in schools. That’s dumb.

How about tighter security? Scan IDs to get onto campus. Metal detectors. Doors only open when buzzed in. Bulletproof glass. (Could that stop an assault rifle?) And, yes, a police officer—either on or off duty. Private security perhaps. Station them outside. I don’t know, just spitballin’ here ...

I’m now in the education sector, and not one of the faculty members I work with would be able to kill a student. Some teachers have known students and their families for years. How could they be expected to kill them. You have to be decisive, and they would hesitate—and that’s all it would take.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I don’t understand why putting armed police officers or trained and armed teachers in the class room is so controversial. Either you want practical solutions or you don’t. There’s over 300 million guns out there. They’re not going anywhere.

Get a job you fucking idiot.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

The element of surprise with a killing machine like an AR 15 is virtually impossible to defend yourself from. Before you can even process what is going on,  people will be dead. Also noted, teachers aren't soldiers, nor should they be. Teachers are also buying their own school supplies, are they going to buy their own guns now too? Ridiculous.

The entire notion is asinine. Just a stupid "solution" put forth by people who are beholden to the NRA and haven't done anything about gun violence ever. Looks like our children have had enough of being shot and are standing up to these do-nothings though.

Standing ovation to these high school students. I want to be shocked by the Russian bots and Right Wing creeps attacking these kids online, but it just seems like business as usual these days.

Image-1_8.jpg

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

Time to listen to the kids...

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Only in America do you fix the gun problems by adding more guns. Fuel to the fire and all that.
Mark my words, it will only be a matter of time before, A. - A teacher snaps whilst carrying or B. - A crazy manages to get hold of one of them.

Boggles the mind. It's is like you are all from a different planet.

Board footer