You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: BRIAN JOHNSON: 'I Had A Great Run' With AC/DC

James wrote:

Brian Johnson has described his time with AC/DC as "a great run."

The singer was forced to leave the band in March 2016, midway through its world tour in support of "Rock Or Bust", after doctors told him he faced total hearing loss if he continued to perform live. His replacement for the balance of the dates was GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose.

Johnson joined AC/DC in 1980 following the death of vocalist Bon Scott. He made his debut with the band on that year's "Back In Black" album, one of the most successful LPs of all time.

The rock legend and car aficionado spoke to The Sunday Times about his passion for the most magnificent four-wheeled vehicles in history and he also touched upon the hearing problems that ended his 36-year career with AC/DC.

"On stage, it was getting harder and harder to hear the guitars, even hear the keys, and I was basically going on muscle memory," Brian said. "And I'm not the kind of guy who likes to cheat. The way I look at it, I had a great run."

Two years ago, Johnson said in an open letter to fans that he intended to solve his hearing problem and continue recording and touring, although he pointedly did not say whether he would be rejoining AC/DC.

The vocalist wrote: "My entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing. I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances. While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic."

AC/DC's future remains in doubt after the band completed its last world tour, a cycle that saw a massive turnover in the group's personnel. Guitarist Angus Young has not yet indicated whether the group will continue recording and touring.

The lineup that completed the tour consisted of Young, Rose, bassist Cliff Williams, Chris Slade on drums and Angus's nephew Stevie Young on guitar.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/brian- … with-acdc/

James

James wrote:

Looks like this chapter is officially over. He's speaking of his run in the past tense. We knew it was over anyways but he did have a sliver of hope ever since Axl came in and saved the tour. Things may be about to get interesting.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Was anyone under the impression his run wasn’t over?

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

FlashFlood wrote:

Was anyone under the impression his run wasn’t over?

Depends, I always got the feeling there was more to it than just the hearing thing (although based off his last few shows it was clearly an issue). Rumour has it that they all made peace at Malcolms funeral. If his hearing was something that could be fixed to a degree he could tour again and they were back on good terms then there was a slim chance of a return.

I’m cool with Axl/DC providing it doesnt obstruct GNR.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I have endless love for Brian...but yeah...both the sound mix and his performance in the last leg of the tour was noticeably worse than previously - it actually explained a hell of a lot when I found out he basically did the show nearly deaf.

Being AC/DC it was still an amazing and totally professional show and a great night, but as a long time fan you could tell something was a bit up.

That he soldiered on as long as he did is a credit to his professionalism, love brian - but I wasn't surprised to learn there was something wrong with his health.

The gossip sites here suggested that the split truely was about the hearing - but there was a bit of temporary bad blood in the way it was handled. The rumour was that brian had told angus of the problem but was expecting the band to work out a way to work around the issues and work through  treatment not just send him on his way. The rumour was that he notified angus, thought they'd work out a solution, then a couple of days later all his tour shit was just sent back to his house impromptu and it was like "you're out" type thing.

If it's true you could imagine a bit of a misunderstanding - like you can see Angus wouldn't want to be responsible for letting him get worse damage by performing - they've already lost a bit to the band over the years on a human level - but you could also see why brian might have felt a bit shafted to be abruptly let go like that after 30 years of the road lifestyle with them.

Glad if they're back on good terms anyway.

As for Axl/DC - I think the 2016 Axl/DC shows were Axl's strongest performance of anything since 2009.

He was also noticeably better in ACDC than he was afterwards for the rest of the 2017 GNR tour.

Not sure if that means he damaged his voice, was just worn out, or if he wasn't as into it or what. But it was noticeable.

Love an Axl/DC record if he can bring that 2016 rasp on it. Not so much if they're going to do anything different and change up the ac/dc style.

But the elephant in the room is always a GNR record. For the amount of talent they have. It's criminal if Axl and Slash don't work together in the studio since 1994 or whenever....shows are fun...but history deserves something recorded.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Agreed.

Depends on by what parameter you want to define ‘big’ of course but I can’t think of a ‘bigger’ musical artist/band with a smaller discog than GNR.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

This is Brian from last year. Sounds good for a deaf man. Angus treated him like shit. Oh well, fuck it. I used to be a HUGE AC/DC fan but this whole thing has rubbed me raw.

Axl does sing better with AC/DC than GNR.  Such a shame.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

A new (perhaps final) AC/DC album, with Axl as the lead singer, would be phenomenal. Not only would it allow the band to go out with a proper goodbye, but it would allow Axl to finally write and record without the burden - self-imposed or otherwise - of making a GNR album.

We've already seen how his perspective as a fan prompted the band to revive some old songs that they'd retired. He could do the same thing in the recording studio, reminding Angus, most of all, of who he used to be back when he first became a musician.

God bless Brian. He was a phenomenon, and none of us can imagine the pressure of replacing Bon. I'm getting choked up, thinking of all the great songs he's given us. A terrific talent.

James

James wrote:

Still cant believe they never busted out Girls Got Rhythm during the Axl tour. No better time to perform it. Same with Ride On.

Board footer