You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: Appetite for Democracy

zombux wrote:

try Abnormal. my favourite GNR-related album of 2008, surpassing ChiDem (and second-best album of the year only after Steven Wilson's Insurgentes).
and yeah, Bucket was an insane guy, infinite well of riffs. thrown away.
lol, I've just imagined both Bumble and Bucket onstage. and THIS will never happen. fuck.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It would've been like that scene in Pick of Destiny where they're in a riff battle with the devil.

Buckethead vs. Bumblefoot with Axl in his giant throne chair, grinning maniacally.

Man that would've been a cool idea. Guitar solo battle!!!!

zombux

zombux wrote:

and now for the sober scenario (ehm... I'm not anywhere near sober at the moment, not physically as I've some strong beers within myself and not mentally as I'm fighting ridiculous shit in my personal life in the last months, but I'll make it eventually, haha!).
Buckethead is out of the band for 14 years (of silence, of pain, yada yada) and seems to be seriously ill, who knows for how long he's going to stay here yet.
Bumblefoot is doing his own thing with average solo albums and forgettable bands like Sons of Apollo and Art of Anarchy (both of them are not worth of his skills IMHO). but more importantly, he seemed to be pissed in his beginning in GNR, because the rest of the band denied him, he earned his place and seemed to be happy in the band, but since about 2013 or so he came to be bored and fucked up, because Axl gave up on the masterplan. Bumble was still loyal, but seemed extremely unhappy. he was probably out of the band after the end of 2014 tour, and then officially in 2015.
I can't really see any of these two getting back in the band, even for a short onstage guest appearance. I bet Axl would like to see Bucket someday as a guest, but I strongly doubt Bucket is interested in such thing. or maybe he is, but he has his own physical and mental issues, so he's probably afraid and still feeling betrayed by Axl or something like that. and Bumblefoot knows this is going nowhere. stupid history.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

If Axl had any fire left in his belly, he'd split time between AC/DC and a reformed CD band as a solo effort.

Angus could chat it up, Slash could guest on it, and Buckethead / Bumblefoot could get their due. It would be a brain trust, each leveraging other efforts, and form a defacto corporation. The conspiracy theorist in me thought Bucket playing with Brain and Del Ray was somehow a warm-up for bigger faire.

The tough nut to crack would be record company politics getting CD II liberated although could be lessened by a good manager or worst case scenario, subversion via leaks.

We can dream but sooner or later you must watch Avatar.

zombux

zombux wrote:

nah, that woudn't work. Bucket or Bumble would totally destroy Slash onstage. it would be like sending your favourite french bulldog to fight with a rottweiler and a mad stafford. different leagues. Slash would never allow this happening, I guess, as that would be way way out of his comfort zone. enough having Fortus sidekicking him and trying to imitate Bucket's parts (and mostly failing miserably - not because Fortus isn't a good guitarist, he is an extremely good guitarist - but a classic one, not a shredding monster like B/B - nobody amongst classical guitarist can do it properly, so no Fortus' fault at all).
+ in my opinion, Slash got very old and comfortable lately, similar to Axl. they're now clearly after their peaks - which is strange, considering Fortus is only a year younger than Slash and looks like his son, with so much more energy.
I said this already in the Ashba era - in the ideal world they would kick Axl out of the band and find some more powerful singer. in the reality of course, they can't because it is Axl's band. so they're doing what they can, with Axl and to some extent Slash are hindering it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

If they ever do record something the speed metal thing could be a legitimate avenue of exploration.

I've always wanted a speed metal record from GNR going back to the UYI days.

Hand Axl something like the music from Seasons in the Abyss and see what he comes up with.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

That'd be interesting if Axl is steering the ship.

UYI I is pretty much baby's first speed metal. I like Slash but it started me down the road of being ambivalent about Slash's writing.

I wonder if CDII is more Floydian. I mean for a supposed Dark Side influence, it was pretty non-existent. Or maybe just the spin doctors suck at explaining things.

Board footer