You are not logged in. Please register or login.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Very nice!  You using a raspberry pi?  I built something very similar a few months ago. It’s a lot of fun.

I really like your led buttons. You using Japanese or American style controls?

Have a Ryzen 3 2200g in there. Believe it or not I actually was inspired by your post some months ago when you were talking about the pi.   smile

Japanese sticks all the way for me.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Been wanting to do this for a few years and decided this is the time. Took about 2 weeks in total. 10,000+ games so far on her.

Friday drinking nights just got a lot more fun.  smile

https://image.ibb.co/c0mTzx/29511155_11 … 1088_n.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/dQQMKx/29388477_11 … 7280_n.jpg

Very nice!  You using a raspberry pi?  I built something very similar a few months ago. It’s a lot of fun.

I really like your led buttons. You using Japanese or American style controls?

Do you guys find the Raspberry Pi good to use when running a lot of games. I have so much crap like this, but I have yet to try the Pi method. I know my Ouya that I use for emulation (and my Galaxy tablet for my iCade) won't run games like WWF Superstars, which isn't a really intensive game graphically for some reason and was worried about the Pi being similar.

I already have so many ways of playing these games, even a cost effective Pi seems like a waste of money. But I still find myself wanting to get one if only to tinker with.

I built this (I don't have any good pics on my PC) 20130718_001429.jpg and it plays Virtual Pinball and I can make it run arcade and console games on the "backglass" if I so choose. I don't have a frontend set up and I feel like that'd be easy on a Pi since you can download packs with it being done for you from what I gather.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I’m using ArPiCade as my front end. I have over 1500 roms loaded into a street fighter 2 layout. But I’m using a real pcb/jamma connection that fits into an adapter that connects directly to my pi. I have a genuine 27 inch arcade monitor that connects to the pi through another adapter. I just had to buy an amplifier to to provide enough energy to the built in cabinet speakers as the pi doesn’t put out enough power.

But I just gutted a Chicago gaming company cabinet I picked up for $800 off Facebook. They sell new for $3200, so it was a hell of a deal.

The pi runs all the games I played growing up. So UMK3 is probably the most intensive game I have loaded and it runs flawlessly. I have another pi I built to emulate console games, and the only time I’ve had performance issues is emulating Mario kart 64 with 2 players. The split screen is just a tad much for the processor.

So any game less intensive than that will be fine on a raspberry pi.

Randall Flagg

I really like your pinball machine, Brett. Is it just a flat screen turned sideways?

Randall Flagg

Here's my setup:

IMG_2925.jpg
IMG_2926.jpg
IMG_2927.jpg
IMG_2928.jpg
IMG_2929.jpg

Eventually I'll change the marquee and some of the side art.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'm so jealous of you guys.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I really like your pinball machine, Brett. Is it just a flat screen turned sideways?

Yeah, it is. And for what it's worth, you can use the larger sideways screen to run vertical games like Donkey Kong or Centipede in an aspect ratio more suitable for the games, if you wanna slide a new window down to it. It's kinda cool, but I usually just run it off the "backglass" anyways.

Great to hear the Pi is even doing N64 decent enough these days. If I didn't have an iCade I bought (it's basically a mini bluetooth arcade cabinet to use with a tablet), I'd want to build a bartop cabinet, but it's overkill and wasting money at this point with the amount of stuff I have. I have a Hori Tekken fightstick that's wireless for PS3 that works with my Ouya and it's kinda hard to not want to play games on the huge screen with a wireless stick in comparison to building a smaller screen bartop.

I'm kind of surprised so many people here have cabinets though, for such a small forum. Pretty badass.

johndivney wrote:

I seem to be the only asshole in the universe underwhelmed by RDR2 trailer.
Honour system, friends, horse bonding are all throwbacks. Hunting for christs sake. Looks like a massive missed opporunity. I dont give a shit about playing cards or going hunting/fishing in a videogame. Jesus christ.
Its like everything Rockstar North dismissed as horseshit was picked up by San Diego and repackaged. I was hoping for something NEW instead all theyve offered so far is tripe holdovers from last gen. Inspired off of metrics from dullards.
Hope to fuck im wrong but this looks like a giant turd.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
johndivney wrote:

I seem to be the only asshole in the universe underwhelmed by RDR2 trailer.

It remains to be seen.

I'm interested to see how much of the game is a survival RPG/RTS and what is just talk.

I'm impressed by the animation and AI so far. I really like the world building, NPC behavior.

I mean, what are you looking for that's "new"?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

So who got Red Dead Redemption 2, and what are ur 1st weekend impressions?

I picked up the ultimate edition and im having a blast

Currently winding down Chapter 3

The strangers are alot of fun...as are the side businesses in town

Board footer