You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Guns N' Roses tour to continue through 2017(and beyond)

monkeychow wrote:

I'd love that too.

CD was a very important album for me, and some of Axl's best singing to me, but yeah, it's taken up so much of his career, the band actually starting a new phase creatively and writing new material, it would be wonderful. I mean it's been 20+ years.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

The reason people say "better than ever" is because its true.

The thing is it really isn't.

I enjoy what we have now, so don't mean to piss on it. But "better than ever" is absurdist hyperbole.

Here's what it really is: Best it's been since 1993.

The 1993 band would destroy the modern line up - just as you'd expect from people in the prime of life as opposed to middle age.

But it is better than nu-gnr.

You basically agreed with me in a round about way.

Best it's been since 1993.

I'd say 91 but lets not split hairs.

"Best its been since 93" in 2018 is really no different than "better than ever". Twenty five years. People swimming in daddy's balls when TSI was released are now doctors, in grad school, etc. Like I said, an entire generation came and went during this drawn out saga. They have no loyalties to 87-93 lineups, paid little to no attention during the CD saga, and know Axl and Slash from the history books and youtube videos.

TPTB were right. Adler, Sorum, Izzy, and Gilby were not needed.

Frank is the worst drummer GNR has ever had,

That's subjective and besides...other than a couple hundred people on the GNR forums, does anyone give a shit who the drummer is?

Melissa is at best unnecessary and at worst embarrassing

She brings more to the table than Pitman would in this situation and they're squandering some of her potential. She's easily marketable to the young crowd. If we ever see any type of promo blitz in the coming years, expect her to be part of it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

You basically agreed with me in a round about way.

For me it really depends on which things someone says is best ever.

To get into pointless detail for me it's more like:

Slash: Slash 2017 is a better guitarist on a shred/technical level than 1991 Slash - but then again 90s Slash played the songs with a young man's enthusiasm, at a slower tempo allowing for greater feel and emotion in the bends in certain songs and passages, and had that vintage bluesy tone and feel that made Slash famous. Both good. Hard to say what's better they both have their charms.

Axl: I think 1990s Axl was untouchable - one of the greatest frontmen ever. 2002 Axl had some great moments that stand out but a lot of off putting ones, I think 2006 Axl was much stronger than 2002 and very solid for his age. 2009 Axl was overall weaker than 2006 and showed some issues but in the good moments was still hitting incredible stuff.  2011-2014 Axl was not good - hardly any chrisma and much worse than 2002. 2016 Axl was a return to form - close to 2009 level but unable to do some of the highs achieved then - and using more tricks to protect now. Then 2017 was actively worrying - his voice actually breaking and cracking in songs.

Rest of band: I think the current band is made up of great musicians but doesn't have the chemistry that say Matt and Duff had in UYI and VR days. Richard is probably the best rhythm player the band has had but he's playing in a more mechanical band than Izzy was in 87, or Gilby did in 1993. Dizzy is always Dizzy and I still see fail to see why they need Pitman/Melissa to be a third keyboadist in the line up - but they're about equal. The band seems to make a lot of mistakes these days and there's some odd timing issues for a proline up. then again - they're also great players so they have good moments too.

So in short I see certain aspects that are strong now - but each and every player is quite a long way from their personal best or the best the group has been. Doesn't mean it's shit. But people who listen to Axl and praise him for being the best he's ever been at the moment...well....it's just not true for my ears....wish it were...

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It's not the best since 1993 in my book. By far, really.

It merely has Slash.

The fact this alone compels so many not to mention the idea of the blue haired keyboardist as some sort of paragon or marketing masterstroke because she is a woman and speaks Millenialese is deeply troubling.

But 2016 had some nice moments of Axl and Slash working hard to keep each other honest.

johndivney wrote:

Are they going to plaay My World?

Dadud
 Rep: 14 

Dadud wrote:
johndivney wrote:

My world ft Skrillex would be one fucking hell of a song. I think they definitely need to mix it up and do something outside of their comfort zone for the next album.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Dadud wrote:
johndivney wrote:

My world ft Skrillex would be one fucking hell of a song. I think they definitely need to mix it up and do something outside of their comfort zone for the next album.

Fuck that. Axl already moved Guns out of their comfort zone with Chinese Democracy. He’s got Slash back so he should stick to making a big fuck off heavy rock album.

He can leave the Skrillex shit to a solo album...

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The first 2018 show is this Sunday, June 3rd.

What do you think will happen?

Will Axl show up shredded to the bone? Will they play new songs? Will they play Shadow Of Your Love? Will Axl personally thank his dedicated team of copyright strike enthusiasts?

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

According to Mickey Rourke, Axl has been working out with his training and is looking amazing. Feel like we've heard that one before.

No new songs. Kind of have to play Shadow. I'd assume covers like Black Hole Sun will be dropped.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

- axl will sound better than 2017, but not as good as peak 2016
- they might open a few shows with shadow of your love
- wichita lineman and black hole son dropped from other covers nobody wants to hear
- chinese democracy songs dropped for more appetite material

hopefully i'm wrong, but it's hard to get excited for anything at this point.

Board footer