You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham

johndivney wrote:

I just can’t imagine Axl hanging out with the AFD band y’know.. the girl plays keys/effects ffs get over yourselves. Pitman was a prat.

I saw Peter Green in concert about a decade ago & he was absolutely brilliant. Like witnessing a genius at work. Privilege to be there. 
Lindsey Buckingham can suck my dick.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Oh, I can.  But it'd only be for a night and she'd be on her way with the rest of the groupies.  I don't fault her for taking the gig; it's an amazing opportunity and anyone would be a fool not to take it.  I just don't understand why they needed a synth/extra keyboard player and what was wrong with Pittman?  Not that I am some Pittman fan, but he put in the time and actually helped write parts of CD.  Frank and Richard stayed, so why not Pittman?  Maybe I missed something when the reunion broke, but I never understood that decision.

I agree.

Personally I'd prefer to go back to the AFD era days where it was more straight up rock - or maybe some UYI style band where they occasionally bust out a Teddy or someone but he's not on every single song.

She's sort of needless on the AFD stuff, and while it shouldn't be about image, the whole J-pop thing sits absolutely horribly with the rest of GNR's style - I mean richard and Slash channel some type of biker 70s rock stuff and she looks like she's from a cartoon. Not only that but it's not really a musical improvement for me - i've thought since Rio3 that synth sounds horrid on AFD/UYI songs - and stuff like the melissa/brain remixes sound bad to me too - the only bit that sounds cool to me is the samples of Axl.

As for pitman - again I don't really feel he needs to be in GNR, like surely between Axl doing keys on NR, and Dizzy smashing out a host of piano parts - then dizzy could just randomly trigger effects on the occasional CD stuff too. But then i'll give pitman that at least he was a composer with Axl - so I can deal with him being around if we have to....

There's just something awkward about it. Like Slash rocked up that solo on SCOM to make it still rock enough when Axl was doing ballads. Now we have melissa dancing along to ISE and doing nothing...it's just sort of embarrassing to me. GNR are a famous guitar rock band....just be what you are.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I don't mind the added synth on the older songs; and I like the fact that there's a female voice in the mix on the backing vocals. And really, who gives a shit about image? They're not the scruffy 80s rockers who hung out in the Hell House any more, so why bother pretending? The band has had (at various times) a man wearing cycling shorts and a combat jacket, a guy with a KFC bucket on his head and Robin Finck dressed like a Tim Burton character in it. If you really want to play the image card, she's a hell of a better visual fit than DJ Ashba, because at least her look is authentically her own, and not a contrived poseur's impression of a Sunset Strip rocker.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I never set too much importance by the synth guy and nor do I now it’s the synth girl. Don’t have an issue with her being there but equally the band doesn’t fall apart without her.

This generations Tracey, Roberta and Teddy all rolled in to one.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Frank sucks and out side of backing vocals Melissa is pointless. She sings nice so I don’t mind the background vocals. To me Frank is far worse than Melissa. Sorum and Adler  with Izzy and Melissa and I am just fine. Fortus does nothing for me. Amazing player but doesn’t move me.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Lindsey Buckingham spoke about his firing from Fleetwood Mac for the first time when the guitarist performed Friday night at a California campaign fundraiser.

"It's been an interesting time on a lot of levels," Buckingham said at the fundraiser supporting Democratic congressional candidate Mike Levin (via Jeremy Roberts).

"For me, personally, probably some of you know that for the last three months I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was really my doing or my choice."

"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective," Buckingham continued. "The point is that they'd lost their perspective. What that did was to harm – and this is the only thing I'm really sad about, the rest of it becomes an opportunity – it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."

Buckingham, who weaved his remarks about the Fleetwood Mac firing into a speech supporting Levin, remained diplomatic about the rift with his now-former bandmates, even sidestepping an audience member who yelled "Fuck Stevie Nicks."

The brief comments were Buckingham's first on the matter since Fleetwood Mac announced in April that the band recruited the Heartbreakers' Mike Campbell and Crowded House's Neil Finn to replace Buckingham, who reportedly didn't want to embark on a Mac tour this year.

"Words like 'fired' are ugly references as far as I'm concerned," Mick Fleetwood told Rolling Stone in April. "Not to hedge around, but we arrived at the impasse of hitting a brick wall. This was not a happy situation for us in terms of the logistics of a functioning band. To that purpose, we made a decision that we could not go on with him. Majority rules in term of what we need to do as a band and go forward."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news … ve-w520246

----------------

What's the real fucking problem?!? Everyone knows Lindsey isn't opposed to touring.  Fleetwood Mac has been on several UYI/NITL level tours....and Lindsey does solo tours between Mac tours.

He should stop being diplomatic and just come out and say it. It more than likely has to do with his desire to do a new/final Fleetwood Mac album, other members like Stevie opposed to it, and this created a line in the sand. When push comes to shove, eve though Lindsey is one of the main writers, a nostalgia tour sells better without him than it does without Stevie. No Stevie is a no go and IMO she took advantage of this.

They were too close to the finish line to pull this shit.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Best of all worlds: New GNR music with Duff and Slash.

My preference between new GNR music with Pitman in the band vs. a nostalgia tour that adds nothing to the band's songbook: Pitman!

Axl's a frigging genius, and to have him just do the same songs over and over is like Einstein writing "E=MC2" on a chalkboard a thousand times. We need another album from the man, regardless of which musicians are the ones to bring it out of him.

Regarding Fleetwood Mac, my wife and I saw them with the original five members a few years back. Really good show, and they played for a long time. The basic core of the band is still Mick and John. Without them, it's not Fleetwood Mac whether on a name level or musical heritage. Stevie, Christine, and Lindsay seem to rotate in and out every few years!

If they ever do a final tour I hope it will be a true career retrospective going back to the Peter Green era.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Matt Sorum's grandpa is suing Fleetwood Mac for giving him the boot

https://ew.com/music/2018/10/12/lindsey … c-lawsuit/

Board footer