You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

Re: Eagles may predict the future?

DtM51 wrote:

Something I was thinking about was how much thought Axl has put into the reunion, over the course of several years. Basically i believe Axl had an idea of how a reunion type deal would play out years in advance. Is it coincidence that it happened after 20 years and near AFD 30? I believe Axl knew what he'd do back when he said the famous quote that became the tour name, just like The Eagles did years before.. nothing to keep that allure alive then stir the pot every now and again, convince people it would never happen. Albums don't sell but documentaries and boxsets that come with NITL footage and maybe, an album do and im starting to think everyone is doing there side projects now before the last leg and then they maybe will try and wrap something up and release something and continue the NITL based on said release.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It's possible, I suppose.

But Marc Canter and others in the know have said a reunion was always what was planned. CD was to be a three-album affair, then reunion.

Baz said the reunion was earlier than he thought, Tommy painted a picture of a stranded Axl after Bumblefoot and DJ departed into the hereafter.

Work on the album likely hit a record company stand-still. No band, you say? CD sequel, you say? I think we seen that movie too. No dice, Axl san!

Necessity is The Mothers of Invention.

The fate of the CD2 stuff will be interesting.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Basically i believe Axl had an idea of how a reunion type deal would play out years in advance.

The moment he uttered "not in this lifetime" he knew exactly what he was doing.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Love you guys but I think it's the exact opposite.

That he was in a petulant mood and said "Not In This Lifetime" to an annoying question from Paparazzi wasn't some master scheme.

This is a guy that fires half the crew each night and then rehires them in the morning. Hell he did that to the band members a bunch of times too.

GNR since Axl got control is the story of half baked ideas that never quite happen as they should.

That's what happened to his 3 album cycle, that's what happened to the 2 or 3 documentaries they filmed about the CD era, that's why the "surprise reunion" april fools show was anything but a surprise after stinging hardcores for both Coachella and Vegas. That's why the fan club goodies never quite seem to add up to what they say they will be.

It's why the deluxe AFD 30 edition is being secretly released during AFD's 31st year!

Obviously Axl has known all along that reunions were on the table, it's why he rallied hard against selling out writing prostitute and ranting on stage. Sold out to a reunion anyway. In fairness to him, so would anyone.

This band couldn't plot or manage it's way out of a paper bag - there is no master plan in action.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I don't think it was a master scheme. He simply knew how marketable that term was going to be when it was time to cash in the chips.

Everyone knew it was gonna be the 21st century's Hell Freezes Over. You think the guy who said it didn't know?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It depends what you mean.

I mean it was obvious to all of us, and thus i'm sure them, that the way to PR handle it would be to do something like the Eagles "make it funny" approach.

In fact i've noticed Axl often handles difficult questions with humour too. So i'm sure he always figured if he decided to go back on his word and reunite then the easy way would be to make light of how dramatic he had been in the past.

But if you're saying that he said in April 2012 because he was planning a 2016 this reunion, prior to doing the 2012 london dvd gig, the two vegas residencies in 2013 and 2014 or whatever and the whole up close and personal ttheatre our and all that - I say no - it's clear Axl does not plan that far ahead.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't see Axl running this ship for as long as Henley has The Eagles. There's alot of diehard Eagles fans still in shits that Vince Gill is out there touring with them right now, and not Don Felder or Bernie Leadon.

I think Axl genuinely has re-sparked his musical juices with this AC/DC thing. Living a dream so to speak. I think Axl will have no problem releasing catalog titles with bonus material, live albums, etc. while Slash tours with The Conspirators, and Axl runs off and records with AC/DC, then tours for 2-3 years on it, while GN'R is just a studio band pumping out back catalog shit.

Unless Axl completely vocally breaks down, or throws his mic at Angus... very soon... I would not be shocked if he becomes "Axl Rose... exclusively lead singer of AC/DC" for many years to come, until Angus gets ready to hang it up.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

GNR since Axl got control is the story of half baked ideas that never quite happen as they should.

This.

When you lack internal plans and schedules, you're just reactionary towards anything that gets thrown your way. Take RIR3 in 2001. There was no album ready - Bucket and Brain were in the mix writing new songs. An offer was sent, big money coming in. Axl took it up and paraded his colorful posse in an admittedly energetic show.

There are always offers for a band like Guns. But their own situation has been so tangled-up that it has been impossible to consolidate any of the success that has come from these off-shoots.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I still personally feel Axl has A-LOT of animosity towards the business itself. I think he was done in 1994. Cooked. Burnt. Toast. Fucking done.

The Sympathy For The Devil cover was throwing something together, easy, they all knew and could do (ala the current setlists), and flew off the shelf and made it easy. I have begun to think over the years that the whole "Axl's a genius" thing was all a myth and over-blown. Axl just didn't care. He wanted it to happen. But his way, in HIS time. Problem is... nobody keeps that kinda schedule. Not to mention, in defense of Axl, Axl could not have predicted the DRASTIC change in the business in the late 90s/early 2000s. Nobody would've.

Look at today. GN'R drops a new single. Significance? A Spotify alert. A YouTube/Google-algorithm recommending the new Lyric Video.

That's it.

When "Oh My God" was on the End of Days soundtrack in 1999, the rumor mill was insane. What was it? Who was it? What would it sound like? Would a new album be on the way.

Axl waited so long, the business changed 10 times over by the time he got his boots and hat on.

I don't think there ever was a masterplan, because by the time the plan was made... the business around them changed. And by the time Axl was ready to push new Guns and had the right group of guys to do it on a mass-level (DJ/Bumble-era), the business NEEDED old Guns. There was no money there. Artistic merit? Maybe. But no money.

Look at this GN'R tour. No promo. No interviews. Old school Zeppelin-word of mouth type shit...

Overnight they went back to being the biggest rock band in the world. That was a fluke. No big plan.

Board footer