You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: Guns N' Roses tour to continue through 2017(and beyond)

I’m not sure Metallica is the best yardstick anyway. There’s crossover of course but GNR has a much more mainstream appeal than Metallica does. I’d be looking more at someone like Foos to give an indicator on album numbers. Mainstream appeal but not a young band anymore, still playing stadiums and despite regular radio play not had a major hit single for 10 years.

With all that said I’m not even sure album sales are a barometer of anything anymore. It still mattered certainly in the early CD era but in 2018 with so many different ways to consume music I don’t know if traditional album sales indicate much.

The question is can GNR tour stadiums again in 2 years time without new material? If the answer is yes then it’s unlikely there’ll be too much pressure to release anything. The unknown is whether the return of Slash and Duff has lit a fire under Axl creatively. If it has then we may get something regardless of whether they ‘need’ to in order to keep the stadium tours afloat.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I would've said that they'll just keep touring and milking the back catalogue, myself, as it's the most logical thing to do. But there does seem to be a desire among all concerned to actually do something creative. Slash is talking up the possibility of an album more than I'd ever expected on his solo tour, and we've already got plenty of statements from Fortus et al to the effect that they want to record something. The big question mark is over Axl – but I'd argue he clearly still has something to say, creatively, or there wouldn't have been a Chinese Democracy 2 ready to release a few years back. I guess the other question is whether Slash/Duff/Fortus etc have material that he actually wants to work with...

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

GnR could tour stadiums again with 2 things: reasonably priced tickets and a legit opening act. Problem is both those things cut into the bottom line and we know how TB hates that!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

FlashFlood wrote:

GnR could tour stadiums again with 2 things: reasonably priced tickets and a legit opening act. Problem is both those things cut into the bottom line and we know how TB hates that!

They should get Walking Papers to open for them.

StephenBanks
 Rep: 0 

StephenBanks wrote:
hbi31 wrote:

GUNS N' ROSES' production magager Dale "Opie" Skjerseth says that "there's no end date" to the band's "Not In This Lifetime" reunion tour, with "plenty" of shows already booked for "far into next year."
"Not In This Lifetime" sees core band members Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan on stage together for the first time in more than twenty years.
In a wide-ranging conversation with local media — including 11Alive WXIA-TV — on Tuesday before tomorrow's GUNS N' ROSES concert in Atlanta, Georgia, Skjerseth said that all members of the band are "getting along just fine" and has shot down speculation that the fact that they have separate dressing rooms means there is tension within the ranks, Skjerseth said: "Just because everybody's older, they carry their families with them. They all have to have their space.
"Everybody meets before we go on stage. It's a meeting point and that's where the chemistry happens.
Asked what brought the band back together, money or music, Skjerseth said: "I believe it starts with the love the band… And then of course — we all want money."
Regarding the band's future, Skjerseth said: "I've been told there's no end date, and I've seen plenty of dates going into next year, far into next year. Everybody's working together to keep a common goal and common direction: keep the machine going."
Skjerseth also talked about how Axl is managing to take the stage on time now as opposed in previous years when GUNS N' ROSES had a reputation for beginning concerts hours after its scheduled start time. He said: "We're all older and want to get to bed now.
"We were all young," Skjerseth said of Rose's behavior on previous tours. "Even I was young. It's his maturity and business and how it should be. Everybody feels good about it. He's here before the guys, the rest of them, some days. He comes in, he shows up, gets out of the car, goes on stage. Sometimes he stays on site."

I appreciate what we have now, so don't intend to piss on it. Be that as it may, "better than anyone might have expected" is absurdist overstatement.

The 1993 band would pulverize the cutting edge line up - similarly as you'd anticipate from individuals in the prime of life rather than middle age.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

There's not going to be a lot of footprint on the process this time, but I am fairly sure a new album will happen once all current commitments have been met.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
sp1at wrote:

There's not going to be a lot of footprint on the process this time, but I am fairly sure a new album will happen once all current commitments have been met.

It'll be interesting what they come up with.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear a heavily political record from Axl.

A Private Eye

Tour fires back up again this weekend. Not expecting anything new but a couple of different deep cuts would be cool.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I feel like they’ve put a wrinkle in every leg. Interested, as always, to see how Axl is holding up.

A Private Eye

It might be the last time we see him for a little while.

Board footer