You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

buzzsaw wrote:

Didn't Hillary have a blackface picture?

No.

https://www.politifact.com/facebook-fac … blackface/

I saw some people sharing it on Facebook during 2016, and immediately called bullshit on it. Anyone can look at it and realize it’s not the Clintons.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

No.

I saw some people sharing it on Facebook during 2016, and immediately called bullshit on it. Anyone can look at it and realize it’s not the Clintons.

I hadn't seen the picture in ages and honestly didn't pay attention to it at the time because I don't really care.  I thought we were past worrying about stuff like that, but apparently not.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

No.

I hadn't seen the picture in ages and honestly didn't pay attention to it at the time because I don't really care.  I thought we were past worrying about stuff like that, but apparently not.

I mean...i know you want to be past it. But let’s be honest, you were never really concerned about any of this were you?

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

No.

I mean...i know you want to be past it. But let’s be honest, you were never really concerned about any of this were you?

You genuinely think people dressing in black face is a serious issue in 2019?  Out of all the realities minorities face for various reasons, black face is up there?

You show me some asshole dressed as a gang banger on Halloween shouting out slurs, and I’ll agree he’s a dickhead. Some 20 something dressing up as crazy eyes from OITNB isn’t a problem deserving widespread outrage or condemnation.

There was an article out of Phoenix a few weeks ago because someone was offended by a photo of early 20th century coal miners covered in coal dust. We’ve jumped the tracks here.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

No.

Nope.  Nor am I bothered by white people being called "offensive" names like cracker or honky.  We've completely jumped the shark on this PC bullshit.  Nothing has any meaning anymore and now the things that are actually offensive get lost in the noise of the stuff that's no big deal.

Go watch shows like All in the Family or The Jeffersons.  Great shows that wouldn't even be aired today.  Pussification of America is continuing and people are getting tired of it.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Nope.  Nor am I bothered by white people being called "offensive" names like cracker or honky.  We've completely jumped the shark on this PC bullshit.  Nothing has any meaning anymore and now the things that are actually offensive get lost in the noise of the stuff that's no big deal.

Go watch shows like All in the Family or The Jeffersons.  Great shows that wouldn't even be aired today.  Pussification of America is continuing and people are getting tired of it.

Those shows were all about how poorly this country is handling race. Those shows might be the first time people saw the whole spectrum of American responses.

It’s pretty terrible that we haven’t grown at all since the 70s....not one bit.

If i have to pick a side i don’t choose yours. If by pussification you mean that we all have to tolerate your indifference and your insensitivity then no...that’s not happening anymore. It’s far more complex than PC culture. We seek to exterminate you and those like you from our political party and replace you with the 50 percent of people in this country who disengaged from the political process and don’t feel represented because we were willing to tolerate the Ralph Northans and buzzsaws of the world in exchange for a win at the ballot box.

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Those shows were all about how poorly this country is handling race. Those shows might be the first time people saw the whole spectrum of American responses.

If i have to pick a side i don’t choose yours. If by pussification you mean that we all have to tolerate your indifference and your insensitivity then no...that’s not happening anymore. It’s far more complex than PC culture. We seek to exterminate you and those like you from our political party and replace you with the 50 percent of people in this country who disengaged from the political process and don’t feel represented because we were willing to tolerate the Ralph Northans and buzzsaws of the world in exchange for a win at the ballot box.

I’m genuinely trying to learn here. What is so problematic about our race relations in this country? I get that there is a disparity among, income, poverty, crime, property, and education between the various ethnic groups. Everyone agrees on that. Anyone who calls a black person the “N” word, is going to be universally admonished. Same thing for anyone who would use a similar slur for any other ethnic group, religious sect, or sexual persuasion. Everyone agrees that degrading people based off those characteristics is wrong. Some asshole who drives past the migrant workers at a Home Depot and yells something is a prick. No one is going to argue with you.

Any kind of violence against any race is also met with outrage and punishment. The kid here in Pittsburgh, Antwon Rose, was involved in a drive by shooting, had the gun powder residue on his hands, a magazine in his pocket, and the gun with his prints under the seat of the car he ran from, was shot in the back by the cop. Wide spread outrage and condemnation. The officer was arrested and is on trial for murder. This was a bad kid who had just minutes earlier attempted to murder another person. Yet, the officer was properly arrested and is being prosecuted to the greatest extent of the law. The people collectively expressed outrage at the officer’s actions, despite the quality of person Rose appears to have been - he attempted to kill people in cold blood. I’m just saying he’s the worst example you’d want to pick for an example of police brutality, and our society is putting the officer on trial for murder that could result in him spending the rest of his life in prison. This is exactly what you’d expect in a society that abhors institutional and legal racism. We do that.

I don’t know what else you’d expect our society to do in that situation.

Many people are going to disagree on how best to resolve the agreed upon disparity. There’s going to be disagreements on the source of the problem. But, we are objectively at the best place we’ve ever been. Every demographic is better off today than it was at any other point in time. It’s been that way for a very long time.

There’s an argument, and I believe you’re articulating it, that this nation is embroiled in a revival of institutional racism. That things are somehow getting worse. I don’t know how this opinion is qualified. I don’t understand the standards to which it is evaluated from.

Maybe you can enlighten me. But I genuinely believe that there’s an incentive to seek outrage so one can be offended in our public discourse, particularly on social media and televised media. By being offended, it’s assumed you have a right to seek removal of the offense. It’s a form of power, as evidenced by the monopoly of opininions by the loudest platforms and personalities. If you disagree, you’re shunned by your opponents as have given offense by holding a conclusion that is itself, offensive.

Racism is the worst thing you can accuse someone of, save sexual assault. And since racism is an idea, it’s much easier to be tossed around.  I think a lot of people seek out things to be offended by, and quickly find a way to interpret it as some sort of “ism” so they can gain power to feign offense and demand some sort of compensation.

It’s a lot easier to yell “racist” in a discussion, then formulate a strong argument. I just see more and more of this behavior in our society.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I thought Trump did well in the SOTU. Still not a fan but when the women were standing up giving high fives etc there was no going back to a 'We're going to impeach the motherf****er' type attitude. Not last night at least.

It was like having your NBA team go up against Kobe & hating the Lakers, but Kobe lighting it up for 60 or 70 on the road & the other teams fans just being amazed & giving 5's whenever he hits a 3 or nails a good shot. You can't hate anymore, not that night at least. The Dem response was good but I felt there were some things that could've been omitted since the tone was different as a result of that moment.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I’m genuinely trying to learn here. What is so problematic about our race relations in this country? I get that there is a disparity among, income, poverty, crime, property, and education between the various ethnic groups. Everyone agrees on that. Anyone who calls a black person the “N” word, is going to be universally admonished. Same thing for anyone who would use a similar slur for any other ethnic group, religious sect, or sexual persuasion. Everyone agrees that degrading people based off those characteristics is wrong. Some asshole who drives past the migrant workers at a Home Depot and yells something is a prick. No one is going to argue with you.

Any kind of violence against any race is also met with outrage and punishment. The kid here in Pittsburgh, Antwon Rose, was involved in a drive by shooting, had the gun powder residue on his hands, a magazine in his pocket, and the gun with his prints under the seat of the car he ran from, was shot in the back by the cop. Wide spread outrage and condemnation. The officer was arrested and is on trial for murder. This was a bad kid who had just minutes earlier attempted to murder another person. Yet, the officer was properly arrested and is being prosecuted to the greatest extent of the law. The people collectively expressed outrage at the officer’s actions, despite the quality of person Rose appears to have been - he attempted to kill people in cold blood. I’m just saying he’s the worst example you’d want to pick for an example of police brutality, and our society is putting the officer on trial for murder that could result in him spending the rest of his life in prison. This is exactly what you’d expect in a society that abhors institutional and legal racism. We do that.

I don’t know what else you’d expect our society to do in that situation.

Many people are going to disagree on how best to resolve the agreed upon disparity. There’s going to be disagreements on the source of the problem. But, we are objectively at the best place we’ve ever been. Every demographic is better off today than it was at any other point in time. It’s been that way for a very long time.

There’s an argument, and I believe you’re articulating it, that this nation is embroiled in a revival of institutional racism. That things are somehow getting worse. I don’t know how this opinion is qualified. I don’t understand the standards to which it is evaluated from.

Maybe you can enlighten me. But I genuinely believe that there’s an incentive to seek outrage so one can be offended in our public discourse, particularly on social media and televised media. By being offended, it’s assumed you have a right to seek removal of the offense. It’s a form of power, as evidenced by the monopoly of opininions by the loudest platforms and personalities. If you disagree, you’re shunned by your opponents as have given offense by holding a conclusion that is itself, offensive.

Racism is the worst thing you can accuse someone of, save sexual assault. And since racism is an idea, it’s much easier to be tossed around.  I think a lot of people seek out things to be offended by, and quickly find a way to interpret it as some sort of “ism” so they can gain power to feign offense and demand some sort of compensation.

It’s a lot easier to yell “racist” in a discussion, then formulate a strong argument. I just see more and more of this behavior in our society.

Fine...I'll make an attempt to respond to this in a way that might help you understand. First of all, you have to understand this is only a piece of the puzzle...you need all the pieces to to see the whole picture.

It first starts with what racism is and how it's defined. I am of the belief that racism has never left our society...institutional racism does still exist and you mentioned the demographics and disparities already. I don't know if we're capable of accepting our past and moving forward as a society. You have many people who say there is no such thing as racism anymore. You have people who are bothered by any minority that receives any benefits from the government. We had a significant number of people who were convinced that Obama wasn't a US citizen and it seemed obvious to me that one big reason for that is that he's black. They cannot accept a black man as president.

The core of the conservative base has been really exposed by what they're willing to overlook. I am uncertain if they really don't see his flaws or they just don't care. Doesn't really matter though because the results are the same, are they not? Either way, a blind eye is being laid upon sexual assaults, racial injustices and economic injustices. Their unwillingness or inability to see these flaws is an endorsement of them.

This is all being done (in my opinion) to bring back a way of life that mostly hasn't existed for maybe a century. The same old, patriarchal, deeply religious  America that really hasn't existed for at least 100 years. An America that was deeply founded on injustices to a majority of Americans. Some of those injustices still exist today. The right's defense and support of Trump and people like him show me that they don't care about the victims of people in power.

I don't believe the word 'offended' is being used properly. I am not offended. I'm outraged at the lack of caring by people who are not directly affected by problems that actually exist. How are we all supposed to unite under the banner of being "Americans" when so many of them dismiss or don't care about injustices to fellow Americans.

The particular situation you're talking about in Pennsylvania is one I am not particularly aware of...what I do know about the situation is that there is always a significant number of people who back the police no matter what they do. That alarms me....and while there aren't tens of thousands of cases like this every day, it still happens enough where it seems like it's in the news almost every week. A cop going too far and a bunch of conservatives rallying around the police without any understanding of the miscarriage of justice that has occurred.

Yes...mistakes will happen, but why do they occur so consistently in certain places and certain contexts? Ever more, you have the people that support law enforcement no matter how it's done, especially when a minority is involved.

I am no inspired with the apathy and the shoulder shrugs. I am not impressed by people overlook these things. I am not swayed by people who overlook Trump's behavior both present and past.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I thought Trump did well in the SOTU. Still not a fan but when the women were standing up giving high fives etc there was no going back to a 'We're going to impeach the motherf****er' type attitude. Not last night at least.

It was like having your NBA team go up against Kobe & hating the Lakers, but Kobe lighting it up for 60 or 70 on the road & the other teams fans just being amazed & giving 5's whenever he hits a 3 or nails a good shot. You can't hate anymore, not that night at least. The Dem response was good but I felt there were some things that could've been omitted since the tone was different as a result of that moment.

I didn't watch...he's been giving the same speech for at least 3 years now. I don't need to see it anymore.

I do find it alarming that he basically threatened to not cooperate regarding governing with anyone who investigates him. He used the SOTU to deliver a thinly veiled threat. He was laughed at.

Board footer