You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/average- … 36423.html

This is exactly what Americans deserve...especially trump supporters

Did you pay less in taxes?  My refund was roughly the same. And I paid less in federal taxes.

If you paid less in taxes, it stands to reason your refund would be smaller too. If you want a windfall each tax season, you can increase your withholdings to give the government a tax free loan for 12 months.

Like i said all along....this wasn’t a tax cut for most of us. Just because they make something simpler doesn’t mean it’s better.

I think bigbri and many others are finally experiencing what i feared from the get go...they said, let’s increase the standard deduction but take away a bunch of write offs. I thought....at best this sounds like a wash. With my taxes nearly finished it looks all be paying around 1-1.5 percent more of my income in taxes than i did before. I keep hearing....sorry you can’t write that off anymore....sorry that doesn’t exist anymore. Sorry you make too much to count that anymore.

This was a tax cut for millionaires and billionaires. The republicans shifted MORE of the tax burden off of the uber rich and more back on top of the shoulders middle class and labor.

This was their genius legislative accomplishment?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Our tax preparer says we lost about $20,000 in deductions. But, hey, I got $8 or $10 bucks more per paycheck twice a month.

I will admit, the amount I owe went down but I made less. I’m not sure how 2 months of unemployment affects my taxes. Next year i might have a clearer picture.

I don’t like refunds, actually. Like Randall said, you’re just giving away your money for a year when you could be doing with it what you choose. I pretty much owe something every year, and that’s by plan.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I don’t like refunds, actually. Like Randall said, you’re just giving away your money for a year when you could be doing with it what you choose. I pretty much owe something every year, and that’s by plan.

Well I don't think anyone does...but I'm not sure what the gov. does with it any of it anyway. I'm not sure where tax money for the NEXT fiscal year goes until that fiscal year comes.

Either way...I see what's coming (or at least what they'll attempt). They are going to want to dip into social security and whatever else soon. At some point, I expect Republicans to tell me even though I've paid into SS all these years I'll never see that money again.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

What has trump accomplished other than this tax cut and all this nonsense at the border?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:

What has trump accomplished other than this tax cut and all this nonsense at the border?

How about instead of someone posting some figure, say unemployment and average wage, and everyone arguing if it’s Trump or Obama or Jesus, you tell me what’s gotten worse.

Like how your life is demonstrably worse in the past 2 years independent of whatever mental anger/angst the reality of a Democrat not being in office has resulted in.

Internationally, it’s not even a contest. By any metric other than how many world leaders in Europe speak favorably of our president, our position is stronger. Sanctions in Russia have been implemented under Trump. We’ve armed the Ukraine to stand up against Russian aggression under Obama. China has agreed to a brand new trade deal that allegedly protects American IP. Mexico and Canada have agreed to a new NAFTA. North Korea hasn’t fired a missle in almost two years and have at least come to the table. ISIS has largely been removed, an entire organization that entirely created under Obama’s watch due to his pullout of Iraq and refusal to acknowledge ISIS as a threat for years.  Trump owns all of that, because his policy people made that happen. We pulled out of a non-binding climate accord and removed our support from the Iran deal that was bipartisanly opposed by Senators and would never have been ratified.

Obama gave up control of the internet to the international community, directly created ISIS through his Iraq policy and “JV Team” comments when they first moved into Syria. He allowed Russia to annex territories of two countries and influence our 2016 election. North Korea developed an ICBM and was firing missiles every other week. China continued to expand into the South China Sea unimpeded and flaunt US copyright laws. His actions in Libya directly led to the Arab Spring that resulted in radical Islam movements to grab power in multiple ME nations.  He was president while Osama Bin Laden was killed by Navy Seals.

Trump’s foreign policy chapter isn’t finished, so he could totally botch it. But I don’t see how anyone can argue our standing isn’t objectively better in nearly every metric save likability. 

So tell me domestically, how you’re worse off under Trump and not objectively better.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

How about instead of someone posting some figure, say unemployment and average wage, and everyone arguing if it’s Trump or Obama or Jesus, you tell me what’s gotten worse.

Like how your life is demonstrably worse in the past 2 years independent of whatever mental anger/angst the reality of a Democrat not being in office has resulted in.

Internationally, it’s not even a contest. By any metric other than how many world leaders in Europe speak favorably of our president, our position is stronger. Sanctions in Russia have been implemented under Trump. We’ve armed the Ukraine to stand up against Russian aggression under Obama. China has agreed to a brand new trade deal that allegedly protects American IP. Mexico and Canada have agreed to a new NAFTA. North Korea hasn’t fired a missle in almost two years and have at least come to the table. ISIS has largely been removed, an entire organization that entirely created under Obama’s watch due to his pullout of Iraq and refusal to acknowledge ISIS as a threat for years.  Trump owns all of that, because his policy people made that happen. We pulled out of a non-binding climate accord and removed our support from the Iran deal that was bipartisanly opposed by Senators and would never have been ratified.

Obama gave up control of the internet to the international community, directly created ISIS through his Iraq policy and “JV Team” comments when they first moved into Syria. He allowed Russia to annex territories of two countries and influence our 2016 election. North Korea developed an ICBM and was firing missiles every other week. China continued to expand into the South China Sea unimpeded and flaunt US copyright laws. His actions in Libya directly led to the Arab Spring that resulted in radical Islam movements to grab power in multiple ME nations.  He was president while Osama Bin Laden was killed by Navy Seals.

Trump’s foreign policy chapter isn’t finished, so he could totally botch it. But I don’t see how anyone can argue our standing isn’t objectively better in nearly every metric save likability. 

So tell me domestically, how you’re worse off under Trump and not objectively better.

1) "By any metric other than how many world leaders in Europe speak favorably of our president, our position is stronger."

What metric are you using? What European leaders are speaking highly of Trump?

2) "Sanctions in Russia have been implemented under Trump."

Here you'll see that this statement is completely inaccurate: https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-amer … 50ruw.html

Here as well: https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-polic … 8f189dee5c

Oh and here: https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/425 … -sanctions

Should I go further?

3) "We’ve armed the Ukraine to stand up against Russian aggression under Obama."

Why is this even important? What do you care about Ukriane?

4) "China has agreed to a brand new trade deal that allegedly protects American IP"

After doing some research, I see you have VERY LITTLE to back up this claim.

Trump did remove some tariffs: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-46413196

5) "Mexico and Canada have agreed to a new NAFTA."

16 This is pretty funny. NAFTA 2.0 looks a lot like NAFTA 1.0. This is all spin doctoring and an effort to look good in public. A simple claim that "he did it" doesn't do much for me. The changes were minor. Hardly the big change he was touting.

Here's an article saying it's not even popular with congress: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/06/busi … -deal.html

Tell me more about Obama's executive overreaches.

6) "North Korea hasn’t fired a missile in almost two years and have at least come to the table."

So what? They're still Communist (something I assume you don't support). They're still run by a benevolent dictator. They're still no Democracy there (although I question you really believe in Democracy). All these summits are aimed to do is be fancy PR and photo opps. NK hasn't committed to anything but being legitimized by a US president.

7) "ISIS has largely been removed, an entire organization that entirely created under Obama’s watch due to his pullout of Iraq and refusal to acknowledge ISIS as a threat for years."

16:haha::haha: This is the funniest one yet. Are you in favor of being in these middle east wars for decades and even centuries?

Here you'll see that they have most definitely not been 'removed': https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … paign=1490

Is this why you believe ISIS is defeated? because Trump said so?: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/trump-says-is … 00178.html

I could go on but I know you won't read it. These claims are nothing more than your opinion. If by success you mean the Trump admin has escalated conflicts that lead to American deaths, then bravo you have me on that point. And you call SLC and others dishonest roll

How has this personally affected me? None of that shit directly or even indirectly impacts me. The stuff about perpetual global war does nothing for me. All of these things are being done so that the 1% can continue to get richer. NAFTA doesn't impact me, Ukraine doesn't impact me. ISIS is still a legitimate threat to American safety. China will agree to a lot of things eventually that will have little to no impact because we have no way of enforcing these things.

Most importantly, after being told I was going to receive a tax cut, I didn't. Healthcare is still a giant mess. Trump's back in bed with big pharma after saying he was going to stand up to them. There's been no infrastructure. There has been racial tension like never before.

You were saying?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

I wonder when this little bitch of a president will declare his state of emergency.

Can’t possibly look weak so let’s shit all over American political traditions and contrive an emergency.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Aw shit...found some of that voter fraud y'all were so worried about.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-caroli … 35225.html

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Aw shit...found some of that voter fraud y'all were so worried about.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-caroli … 35225.html

I saw that. Seems like anytime they actually catch the one person who commits voter fraud every now and then, it's a Republican.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Mueller is recommending that Manafort be sentenced up to 24 years just for this part of his crimes. He has more trial dates ahead of him for other offenses. 

The latest bombshell (which there is no shortage) is that Roger Stone is believed by prosecutors to be have been communicating directly with the same Russian intelligence officials who hacked our election. Not only this, but this case filing shows that his arrest is linked to the indictments of a dozen Russians by Mueller previously. Those GRU officers were charged with stealing docs from the Democrats and releasing them at strategic times to undermine our elections.

This last week: Roger Stone's judge basically told him to STFU and issued a gag order. Then this idiot goes on social media, posts a photo of the judge in the cross-hairs. He's now being taken back into court in the next few days, where frankly he should have his bail revoked. Guess we'll see what happens with that.

We're also finding out that Sarah Huckabee was interviewed by Mueller. Wonder if she lied to them like she does to this country every day?

Board footer