You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Richard: 'Get An Album Out Soon'

Duff's weighed in, too:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi … um-799258/

Duff McKagan wrote:

“Oh, it’s real, but the fun part and the cool part about Guns N’ Roses is we don’t really talk about it, and what happens next just happens [...] It’s never been that band that there’s a direct schedule of how we do things. I’ve heard some magnificent stuff that Axl has, really cool stuff he’s been working on. So I’m excited about the possibilities with that, of course. I don’t mean to get anybody rabid. Our day will happen when it happens, that’s for sure.”

elevendayempire

The cynical part of me is thinking, "It's the same old puppy-like optimism of Axl's band members trotting out the usual quotes, but it's refreshing to hear it from Slash and Duff instead of DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot."

The optimistic part is thinking, "Well, at least a reunited Axl, Duff and Slash coming off the back of one of the biggest tours of all time will have a bit more clout and ability to get it past the record company suits than Axl And His Funny Friends circa 2010."

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The cynical part of me is thinking, "It's the same old puppy-like optimism of Axl's band members trotting out the usual quotes, but it's refreshing to hear it from Slash and Duff instead of DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot."

The optimistic part is thinking, "Well, at least a reunited Axl, Duff and Slash coming off the back of one of the biggest tours of all time will have a bit more clout and ability to get it past the record company suits than Axl And His Funny Friends circa 2010."

Slash and Duff spent a few years saying they were getting a new lead singer for Velvet Revolver, too.

elevendayempire

FlashFlood wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Slash and Duff spent a few years saying they were getting a new lead singer for Velvet Revolver, too.

To be fair, I'd argue that "getting a new lead singer" is a substantially more difficult task than "writing some songs." You've got to find someone who has talent and charisma to burn, who isn't otherwise occupied singing for another band, and who clicks with you. I mean, look at Queen – it took them nearly 30 years from Freddie Mercury's death (and a couple of false starts) to find a new lead singer who ticked all the boxes.

With Velvet Revolver it was doubly challenging because you needed someone who could step into the shoes of two of the most charismatic, iconic rock singers of all time – Axl Rose and Scott Weiland. Which basically meant you either needed to have the luckiest break ever with the open auditions, or poach a top-tier singer from another band (or their solo career). Also you needed someone who could take VR's distinctive style (STP + GN'R) and evolve it without pastiching either of the "parent" bands.

It's howlingly obvious what they should've done, of course – they should've grabbed Chester Bennington, who was basically the only person with the vocal range, vibe and stage presence to go toe-to-toe with Rose and Weiland (hell, STP thought so too). But that ship sailed.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Heck, albums are just an excuse to go on tour these days for the bigger acts. Would think the record company is very much in favor of releasing something. Gives them a valid excuse to go on another big tour with large audiences, even if the setlist is 80-90% classic material. Merch sales and whatnot are a lot more lucrative than record sales at this point.

elevendayempire

tejastech08 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Heck, albums are just an excuse to go on tour these days for the bigger acts. Would think the record company is very much in favor of releasing something. Gives them a valid excuse to go on another big tour with large audiences, even if the setlist is 80-90% classic material. Merch sales and whatnot are a lot more lucrative than record sales at this point.

Really, they should take a leaf out of Ariana Grande's book and just release music in an ad hoc way instead of carefully structured album releases. The music industry's moved on:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi … xt-763458/

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I think Duff saying positive things about Axl’s new songs is a pretty encouraging sign.
Didn’t Axl get a bit of self doubt back in the mid-90’s due to Slash and Duff supposedly always telling him his songs sucked?

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Really, they should take a leaf out of Ariana Grande's book and just release music in an ad hoc way instead of carefully structured album releases. The music industry's moved on:

You are absolutely correct, and there's precedent for it, especially in terms of GNR releasing songs for movie soundtracks ("Oh My God," "You Could Be Mine," etc.). Axl seems to get way too uptight, ambitious, and ultimately overwhelmed by albums. I'd be happy to get a song a year from the guys for the next 10 years than wait for a GNR album they will never finish.

Sky Dog wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I think Duff saying positive things about Axl’s new songs is a pretty encouraging sign.
Didn’t Axl get a bit of self doubt back in the mid-90’s due to Slash and Duff supposedly always telling him his songs sucked?

What? No....Slash wasn’t in to the long piano type ballad stuff so he allegedly resisted songs like November Rain and Estranged....he also didn’t like Scom! History has shown who was on the right side of that ideological war! axl

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

I'd be happy to get a song a year from the guys for the next 10 years than wait for a GNR album they will never finish.

Yep, that would be cool. smile

Board footer