You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: GNR master recordings lost in UMG vault fire

ClaudeF wrote:

I'm shellshocked by the extent of what was destroyed.

Here's the link, and the GNR part:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/th … ar-AACIbo2

The list of destroyed single and album masters takes in titles by dozens of legendary artists, a genre-spanning who’s who of 20th- and 21st-century popular music. It includes recordings by Benny Goodman, Cab Calloway, the Andrews Sisters, the Ink Spots, the Mills Brothers, Lionel Hampton, Ray Charles, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Clara Ward, Sammy Davis Jr., Les Paul, Fats Domino, Big Mama Thornton, Burl Ives, the Weavers, Kitty Wells, Ernest Tubb, Lefty Frizzell, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Bobby (Blue) Bland, B.B. King, Ike Turner, the Four Tops, Quincy Jones, Burt Bacharach, Joan Baez, Neil Diamond, Sonny and Cher, the Mamas and the Papas, Joni Mitchell, Captain Beefheart, Cat Stevens, the Carpenters, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Al Green, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Buffett, the Eagles, Don Henley, Aerosmith, Steely Dan, Iggy Pop, Rufus and Chaka Khan, Barry White, Patti LaBelle, Yoko Ono, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Police, Sting, George Strait, Steve Earle, R.E.M., Janet Jackson, Eric B. and Rakim, New Edition, Bobby Brown, Guns N’ Roses, Queen Latifah, Mary J. Blige, Sonic Youth, No Doubt, Nine Inch Nails, Snoop Dogg, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Hole, Beck, Sheryl Crow, Tupac Shakur, Eminem, 50 Cent and the Roots.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Probably CD era. We know they still have the masters to AFD and Lies at least. Likely UYI and TSI would be with them. I bet it is CD etc

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I doubt they mastered much for CD besides what was released.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

It was 2008 - why on earth was this stuff not digitally archived by that point at least. I get the Analogue master tapes -but surely at the least there would be some digital archiving by this point?

Sky Dog wrote:

Gnr likely didn’t own them anyway...UMG owned them. On second thought, they may own Afd and Lies as they are over 30 years old. hmm

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

It was 2008 - why on earth was this stuff not digitally archived by that point at least. I get the Analogue master tapes -but surely at the least there would be some digital archiving by this point?

But I think that's it. The fact the "original masters" ie. tapes, are now gone. So all we have are the digital preserves & other saved versions. Kinda like if the Pulp Fiction master print was all gone, but we still had it on blu ray.

johndivney wrote:

Bad timing. If only it had happened 11 years ago we’d have maybe been spared Catcher in the Rye.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Bad timing. If only it had happened 11 years ago we’d have maybe been spared Catcher in the Rye.

Along with Prostitute, it's easily the best song on CD for me - a shame BBF was allowed to have it and butcher it mind.

Board footer