You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PotatoSalad
 Rep: 0 

Re: The Best of Rough Mixes Disc 1, Elimination Series Round 7

PotatoSalad wrote:

I like all of these but I'll go with Madagascar.

Vote off your least favorite track

Madagascar 38%
Atlas Shrugged 38%
Perhaps 10%
Chinese Democracy 14%
Total votes: 29
wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

There is something strange about the two unreleased songs making it this far. But maybe they were the best at that thing but CD became bigger than that.

I guess I’ll stick with Chi dem as the other 3 are great.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
wasted wrote:

There is something strange about the two unreleased songs making it this far. But maybe they were the best at that thing but CD became bigger than that.

I guess I’ll stick with Chi dem as the other 3 are great.

Yeah I'm thinking its the honeymoon period factor. For Perhaps in particular. I can see strong potential in Atlas but Perhaps as it stands currently is bang-average stuff.

wasted

wasted wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Maddy is one of my favourite tracks imo.

The interesting thing if Perhaps wins this, is it's a track that was never mentioned. Possibly abbadoned almost 20 years ago. Never rumored and not played to the press for preview.

If it wins best track, it's quite ironic.

I think maybe they only wanted to use 1 May track at a time, or even this is a  great version but bumping it up production wise didn’t work so it was never as finished or Thal’d as Catcher or Atlas. Ron did add a solo to Atlas.

It is strange Perhaps wasn’t mentioned as it has a catchy warm piano part. State of Grace is like the Stones meets NIN, IRS 2. Actually shows off Axl’s vocal range pretty well.

It must be a combo of what worked with Ron and a balance of tracks. Bucket sorted ITW and Sorry but Ron has the difficult job of getting Catcher and Atlas on board when they were kind of fine in another form.

wasted

wasted wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Maddy is one of my favourite tracks imo.

The interesting thing if Perhaps wins this, is it's a track that was never mentioned. Possibly abbadoned almost 20 years ago. Never rumored and not played to the press for preview.

If it wins best track, it's quite ironic.

These leaks are like reading Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, you’re always referring back to the The Shining while reading Shining 2. There’s a lot Redrum moments.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Voting for Maddy again.

Regarding the two "new" tracks:  I think Atlas Shrugged it a bit more complete and polished.  I think Perhaps is a bit short and probably needs to be fleshed out a bit more.

Kinglaoi
 Rep: 0 

Kinglaoi wrote:

Am I the only that hears sweet home alabama during atlas....?

Vale

Vale wrote:

I can’t believe Atlas is still here. Honeymoon phase for sure. I doubt it would be among the final songs in a year or so..

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Oh it'll be in mine for sure. Top notch lyrics in Atlas.

If any song is in a honeymoon phase, it's Perhaps. Out of all the songs on this disc, it's the most incomplete. It's a good song but we're in final four territory here......yet it looks like it's bracing itself for a final showdown with the title track.

Vale

Vale wrote:

Yes, Perhaps is also in a honeymoon phase as I don’t think it’s a really finished version.

But on the other hand, it was (along with State Of Grace) the first of the leaks that got me really excited. Kind of reminded me a little of how it was in 2006 with Better, IRS, and TWAT. After hearing Atlas and Hard School (which I like better than Atlas) I was wondering whether we really got a best of in CD. Perhaps and State Of Grace changed that.

Regarding Atlas, lyrics are good. It’s not a bad song, but eventually just not my cup of tea I guess. In the very first round I even considered voting it off instead of Silkworms.. (I didn’t though)

Board footer