You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: 2000 Intentions

AtariLegend wrote:

If the original Oh My God had Duff and Matt, I don't think Duff being on the original Oklahoma (just not on this disc) or let's say Prostitute is that much of a stretch.

By original, I mean versions we're never going to here.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

If the original Oh My God had Duff and Matt, I don't think Duff being on the original Oklahoma (just not on this disc) or let's say Prostitute is that much of a stretch.

IMO for Oklahoma to show up on a set list as early as it did, I would assume that it was a song that existed for a period of time that could possibly date back to Duff's last years in the band.

atlashrugs
 Rep: -6 

atlashrugs wrote:

why is everyone so big on instrumentals? do these instrumentals have recorded Axl vocals on them? if they don't the instrumental is boring to me.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
atlashrugs wrote:

why is everyone so big on instrumentals? do these instrumentals have recorded Axl vocals on them? if they don't the instrumental is boring to me.

Some people enjoy music without vocals. Ever heard of classical music? It’s existed for hundreds of years.

Me, I find most vocalists garbage with lyrics that are even worse.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

Speaking of fantasy booking, Sorry and Better  would've really strengthened the album but we don't know how early these two tracks got lyrics/vocals, especially Better since it has the Pyramid title.

Considering the same scratch vocal take for Quick Song is still there on the 01 dated Quick Song disc that is on the March 00 RM2 disc, I wonder if he even tracked any vocals between 99-01. Sorry, Better and a lot of these instrumentals may have only got vocals between 02-07.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

That's a great observation although I'm pretty sure that in a Fortus interview from a few years ago he said Axl spent a week on vocals in either 2001 or 2002.

No matter how that cookie crumbles, we do have enough evidence to show he did not spend a lot of time in ANY year focusing on the vocals. From the Beavan era onwards likely saw a huge drop in recorded vocals.

99-00,  01 or 02, and 2007 appear to be the key periods for vocal tracks.

I'd love to know what finally motivated him to lay down vocal tracks. It will forever blow my mind that Moby is there during preproduction for the album (1997) yet it never gets further than some instrumentals and fucking around with samples/loops. Axl is into Moby's involvement until he inquires about vocals. Then he quietly exits stage left.

Moby did rave on the material they were working on.

I was trying to find the exact date of Moby's departure but I found this...

Guns had been paying rent on studios for three years now - from 1994 to 1997 - and still did not have a single song.

Yikes.

Also found this about the 98 version of the (instrumental) album....

The record just needed a lead vocal and a mix. [...] If Axl had recorded vocals, it would have been an absolutely contemporary record in 1999." (James Barber, Poptones, 10/16/05)

PotatoSalad
 Rep: 0 

PotatoSalad wrote:

There was an interview with Moby where he talked about one of his suggestions that didn't go over well was that they rent a cheap studio for a short amount of time, record, and release what they recorded in that short amount of time.  He really put emphasis on that suggestion not going over well.  So given the time frame from when Moby was still working on the album and how it doesn't seem Axl did many vocal recordings, should we assume that Axl's voice was even worse than people considered it to be in 2002?

James

James wrote:

For anyone who's never read Chinese Whispers but has wondered about the origins of the 'shadow lineups' concept....

---

Axl appeared to have acquired a certifiable 'shadow' band to work on demos. Matt and Dizzy had contributed to the recording of The Real McCoys' sophomore album, and a favor was returned in the host of bassist Krys Baratto and drummer Sid Riggs.

"I was down in a rehearsal studio recording ideas with a couple other guys, a guy named Paul Huge who was in the band for a little while, and basically that's what I did five days a week.  Five or six days a week, I was just down there recording ideas. A lot of great songs came out of that. It's all still there. Something will happen with that stuff eventually. That was a very cool creative period and it was great working with Paul." (Dizzy, Rock Journal, 07/11/04)

---

"You played in a rather bizarre version of Guns n Roses in the mid-90s - Sid Riggs was on drums I believe, who else was involved? Paul Tobias?

KB: Well now, keep in mind Sid and I were recording on demos. Paul was involved. If you talk to him, tell him to call me too. He’s a great guy. As for the recordings, across the mixer were such people as Slash, Zakk, Matt, Duff, Dizzy, and a host of others. We were all a part of putting tracks down on the demos. So, it was never a "version" of the band. It was fun though... The only time I really talked to [Axl] was up at that particular Halloween party at his house. He was never there when I was doing any playing. He told me he liked the bass parts and asked if I was getting paid on time, gotta love that. " (Krys Baratto, Sp1at, 04/15/05)

James

James wrote:
PotatoSalad wrote:

There was an interview with Moby where he talked about one of his suggestions that didn't go over well was that they rent a cheap studio for a short amount of time, record, and release what they recorded in that short amount of time.  He really put emphasis on that suggestion not going over well.  So given the time frame from when Moby was still working on the album and how it doesn't seem Axl did many vocal recordings, should we assume that Axl's voice was even worse than people considered it to be in 2002?

Yeah Moby loved the material, was ready to rock and roll, but once realizing the time that would be required, walked away.

He didn't do ANY vocals during that period.

Not sure if the quality (or lack thereof) was the issue...it was the fact he had went so long without singing and didn't have the confidence. Youth mentioned this back then.

---

"Youth from Killing Joke was hired and fired. I met him before he was hired and never saw him again." (Dave Dominguez, 2004)

"[Youth] had "four or five" spells working with Rose in [1998]. [...] 'I went to his house and we started writing songs, strumming guitars in the kitchen', says Youth. 'That was a major breakthrough because it got him singing again which he hadn't done for a long time.' (Q Magazine, 05/01)

"He hadn't been singing for around 18 months. I think the record had turned into a real labour. He was stuck and didn't know how to proceed, so he was avoiding it." (Youth, The Times, 03/18/05)

Alluding that Axl hadn't recorded new vocal tracks for the '98 Appetite as of yet.

---

Edit

Check this out....

---

At the last minute, another batch of jam sessions happened.

"When I left town, Axl and Matt and Duff and I had worked on new material... [Axl] was there while [the rest of us] were fucking around jamming." (Slash, Metal Hammer, 11/95)

"We've been jamming a bit, but there isn't any actual songs." (Slash, Aftonbladet, 04/02/95)

"We did do some... like, off-the-wall kind of writing and recording and this and that and the other." (Slash, Canadian Radio, 04/20/95)

"Right now, there seems to be a fucking confusion about what "a good Guns-record" is." (Slash, Aftonbladet, 04/02/95)

"And they're still trying to work on things." (Slash, Canadian Radio, 04/20/95)

"We've got tapes of what Axl considers great songs, which from my point of view is just me playing the guitar! ... I hadn't heard Axl sing anything... I haven't heard any lyrics or any vocals, so I don't know what a song is until then." (Slash, Metal Hammer, 11/95)

"I didn't write for years [after the Illusions]. [During the UYI tour, Slash, Duff and Stephanie Seymour] did damage to my ability as a writer. To those three it was all crap. It beat me down so much." (Axl, USA Today, 11/01/12)

"When Zakk Wylde arrived at the Complex, where Axl was rehearsing, he was slightly surprised. 'There were never any melodies,' Wylde recalls. 'There were never any lyrics.'" (Rolling Stone, 05/11/00)

"I'd say 'Dude, did you come up with any lyrics yet?'
And he's just like, 'Dude, I got people suing me right now.'"

(Zakk Wylde, Spin, 07,99)

James

James wrote:
harmon420 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

IMO for Oklahoma to show up on a set list as early as it did, I would assume that it was a song that existed for a period of time that could possibly date back to Duff's last years in the band.

It could actually date even further back to the jam sessions including everyone from Slash to Zakk to Kermit the frog.

In that 95-98 period, there are literally dozens of musicians walking through the door.

--
As the far as the songs go: 'Oklahoma' was pretty much written by the time they got to the studio... 'Ides of March' was a working title of one of the songs that came from a loop name that Dizzy came up with: I think they kept the name, but it's been years so I'm sure everything has changed by now." (Dave Dominguez, Sp1at, 02/07/05)

---

Board footer