You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Re: 2000 Intentions

Izzyjim wrote:
James wrote:

It could actually date even further back to the jam sessions including everyone from Slash to Zakk to Kermit the frog.

GNRcentral next post: "Was Kermit the frog in the studio with GNR?"

shutout52
 Rep: 0 

shutout52 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

If the original Oh My God had Duff and Matt, I don't think Duff being on the original Oklahoma (just not on this disc) or let's say Prostitute is that much of a stretch.

By original, I mean versions we're never going to here.

I seem to remember reading/hearing somewhere about fifteen-plus years ago that writing and recording "Prostitute" was part of the final straw for Duff, that he felt it was a thinly-veiled attack on Slash (personally, I don't see it much). Granted, that same person said the song had been renamed "Substitute," or possibly renamed from that, not sure. So it could have been completely pulled from someone's ass: separating truth from fiction across 20 years of silence and secrecy is easier said than done.

atlashrugs
 Rep: -6 

atlashrugs wrote:

i asked. didn't get an answer. is there a demo of This I Love with Robin? or is there a demo of This I Love that's just piano without Robin? the version of This I Love released is the only version recorded?

AtariLegend wrote:

No demo of This I Love was ever leaked.

shutout52 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

If the original Oh My God had Duff and Matt, I don't think Duff being on the original Oklahoma (just not on this disc) or let's say Prostitute is that much of a stretch.

I seem to remember reading/hearing somewhere about fifteen-plus years ago that writing and recording "Prostitute" was part of the final straw for Duff, that he felt it was a thinly-veiled attack on Slash (personally, I don't see it much). Granted, that same person said the song had been renamed "Substitute," or possibly renamed from that, not sure. So it could have been completely pulled from someone's ass: separating truth from fiction across 20 years of silence and secrecy is easier said than done.

Is there any source for this?

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

shutout52 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I doubt it. The only new GN’R song I ever heard Duff and Matt commenting on before more stuff got out was OMG, stating how they couldn’t see the potential or couldn’t agree with the direction of it. Duff and also Slash have repeatedly stated that there were no proper left over material from before their departure apart from the Duff/Izzy session. Haven’t they at one point even said not knowing anything about TIL?
So I doubt they have worked on Prostitute with Duff.

shutout52
 Rep: 0 

shutout52 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

shutout52 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Like I said, no. I read it somewhere 15-plus years ago and it could very easily have been some message board post that someone just pulled out of their ass.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James wrote:

"I didn't write for years [after the Illusions]. [During the UYI tour, Slash, Duff and Stephanie Seymour] did damage to my ability as a writer. To those three it was all crap. It beat me down so much." (Axl, USA Today, 11/01/12)

What was all crap?

There's only one track Axl was known to be tinkering with during the UYI tour.

TIL.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:
harmon420 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

IMO for Oklahoma to show up on a set list as early as it did, I would assume that it was a song that existed for a period of time that could possibly date back to Duff's last years in the band.

It could actually date even further back to the jam sessions including everyone from Slash to Zakk to Kermit the frog.

In that 95-98 period, there are literally dozens of musicians walking through the door.

--
As the far as the songs go: 'Oklahoma' was pretty much written by the time they got to the studio... 'Ides of March' was a working title of one of the songs that came from a loop name that Dizzy came up with: I think they kept the name, but it's been years so I'm sure everything has changed by now." (Dave Dominguez, Sp1at, 02/07/05)

---

Oklahoma was written in 1994. He wrote it about the bombing and how people in the courtroom during his divorce didn’t give a shit that it happened and were only focused on taking him down. There’s an Axl quote about it. It was certainly worked on by anybody in the lineup 94-01.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Oklahoma was written in 1994. He wrote it about the bombing and how people in the courtroom during his divorce didn’t give a shit that it happened and were only focused on taking him down. There’s an Axl quote about it. It was certainly worked on by anybody in the lineup 94-01.

yet still, we got a 2000 version and it still has no vocals. what a shame.

AtariLegend wrote:
zombux wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

yet still, we got a 2000 version and it still has no vocals. what a shame.

It had vocals by late 2000 at least. Was originally on hob setlist.

Chinese Democracy rm from late 2000 is listed as version 1, yet the vocals were done with Beavan the previous year, with josh originally on drums.

The dates and mix numbers just muddy the picture even more.

Board footer