You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: It's happening.

FlashFlood wrote:
wasted wrote:
vipicius wrote:

"This is from our new album..."
I even got goose bumps thinking about it.

“ This is from the new album...you’ve probably already heard it”

Nah. They play shows for 60,000 people. There’s probably about 300 people who heard the leaks.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

The usual format for an artist these days seems to be first single and promo, album and second single then tour. Doesn’t have to be this way of course but that’s the usual formula. The fact the tour seems to start in only a few months and there’s nothing so far new material wise is a bit of a concern. Maybe they’ll release it whilst on the road uyi style?

I hadn’t really expected anything at this point and was thinking maybe end of 2020 for new music anyway but as they’re on the road for most of the year it means they probably need an album basically complete by spring?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

wasted wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
wasted wrote:

Once they drop a single then that new Axl/Slash Song moment is over, so when album drops media won’t be as interested. It all has to happen in a two week window.

Yup, the second Axl says "This is from our new album..." on stage it'll spread round the internet like wildfire. They have to be ready to move straightaway. Actually coming up with a coherent promo plan, like normal bands do, would go a long way towards eliminating the sour taste left by the fiasco that was Chinese Democracy's release.

What is a basic promo plan these days?
Single on iTunes, do they do a video? Or is streamed on FB? Would I get it via Apple Music?

I was listening to Body Count’s Blood Lust album. I only just realized it was out. 2 years late.

Apple Music/Spotify promo already queued up with teasers etc. Digital outdoor ad spots booked well in advance. Single (well, album preview track) ready to launch at the click of a button the instant Axl says "This is from our new album..." up on stage. The track drops on streaming services as the news that holy shit, GN'R has new music is reported across music sites. Maybe a follow-up interview with Axl, Slash and Duff a few days later with like Rolling Stone or one of the late night shows, or something. "The inside story of the new album" that's largely a teaser piece. Etc etc.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

A Private Eye wrote:

The usual format for an artist these days seems to be first single and promo, album and second single then tour. Doesn’t have to be this way of course but that’s the usual formula. The fact the tour seems to start in only a few months and there’s nothing so far new material wise is a bit of a concern. Maybe they’ll release it whilst on the road uyi style?

I hadn’t really expected anything at this point and was thinking maybe end of 2020 for new music anyway but as they’re on the road for most of the year it means they probably need an album basically complete by spring?

They only really need one new track to kickstart the promo push. Toe in the water stuff. A lot of the cynicism about "I'll believe there's a new album when I see it, lol it's been four years and no new music, lol Axl took a decade to release Chinese Democracy etc" will evaporate as soon as there's concrete evidence of new music in the form of a new track.

vipicius
 Rep: 6 

vipicius wrote:

Does anyone remember if Shadow's impact was very relevant when it was released? Since people in general didn't know it was an old song. Could this give us any notion of what the current reaction would be like?

Another question, does anyone remember when was the last concert of the tour? I do not memorize. I keep thinking about Axl's voice. Really wanted him to sound more solid. I don't even mean the rasp.

McGann
 Rep: 0 

McGann wrote:

Interesting times.
Signs point to activity...
I’m optimistic.

Splash

/Mike

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
McGann wrote:

Interesting times.
Signs point to activity...
I’m optimistic.

Splash

/Mike

Holy shit... another blast from the past.

jimmythegent wrote:

so... South American leg announced... which pretty much covers March/April

I think we are getting something soon...

So when would it be likely to have a North American leg amongst all this? Cos my guess is that's when an album will drop? With a single/EP early 2020?

Yeah....US dates is what we need to watch for. No point in releasing a song/album if they're not doing anything here

vipicius wrote:

Does anyone remember if Shadow's impact was very relevant when it was released? Since people in general didn't know it was an old song. Could this give us any notion of what the current reaction would be like?

Apples and bowling balls.

Shadow did hit the rock charts but they were smart and didn't give it a massive promo push like they would with a real comeback song.

wasted is right.... they've got a small window to knock it out of the park when it's time. I really hope that the "big 3" are willing to do some real promo for it instead of just tossing it out there. Real interviews, do various tonight show type promo, and have the other members speak on forums, podcasts,etc. They could do something with iTunes like performing the single at the iTunes studio and a few bonus tracks live and release that as well.

They could really turn this into something special.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
wasted wrote:
vipicius wrote:

"This is from our new album..."
I even got goose bumps thinking about it.

“ This is from the new album...you’ve probably already heard it”

Nah. They play shows for 60,000 people. There’s probably about 300 people who heard the leaks.

It would be a downloading mofos type intro. I remember Axl saying I think sarcastically the tour was based off the Better leak. It got some kind of reaction. Maybe news reports is how everyone knows but they weren’t putting the Betterleak on repeat.

But this does lead to the impact of the leaks. Do they keep things going with no album out or is it that leaks go into the same box as no interest in music. Like when Metallica played Cyanide live before an album I was like holy shit but then I realized oh Metallica nerds aren’t that surprised.

Axl also talked about the rec comp and old band members live. I’m not sure they really knew what he was talking about.

Sky Dog wrote:

I’m not sure he really knows what he is talking about! Bat Shit Crazy! axl

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

True Axl was only ranting about his perception of whatever was happening. But he did acknowledge stuff like leaks even though only about 3 per show heard them. I guess they were a thorn to recomp but Axl said he was ok with them. They probably put pressure on the rec comp in some way.

Board footer