You are not logged in. Please register or login.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

Re: Will new music be released in 2020?

wasted wrote:

I do think there will be an album if nothing else because if they don’t it will embarrass Slash and Duff.

20 years of everyone shitting on Axl then they can’t even write a song? But maybe the touring is so great no one cares. Nobody said much about Locked N Loaded.

I can’t see them doing a press conference about their new big deal album like the Stones or U2. Are they going to play a song on Kimmel?

I think the album coming out just before Rock In Rio 2021 is how they do it. But even that seems too showy. They might downplay it and release a kind of understated album.

Will new music be released in 2020?

Yes, Q1 26%
Yes, Q2 7%
Yes, Q3 2%
Yes, Q4 12%
No 52%
Total votes: 42
misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It's pretty clear Axl wanted CD II out and the label wouldn't release it. He talked about negotiating with the label on the release whenever it was brought up. Desire was never an issue. All that had to be done was work out the details with Slash and Duff on how it would be done, ie, re-recording stuff, art, release, and adding whatever they felt like. This is something the label wants to release. The timing makes sense, (and as Slash would say) all things considered.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I seriously hope it’s more than Slash and Duff pasting in parts and there is at least some material written by this lineup - that said I’ll be happy with anything as long as it sounds cohesive

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Considering how Axl writes, is even one original song plausible?

wasted

wasted wrote:

How the writing is done is interesting. Axl said at CE that he didn’t want to do it like UYI and CD with the band laying down tracks for him to sing over, he wanted to work from vocal melodies like AFD was made. After some crying and sorrowful thoughts I decided this meant all the material they had would be used as suggestions and maybe the vocal melodies would be used as starting points. So Slash reworks songs with vocals.

Whether CD II was ever finished and up to the standard of CD is another question. If so, then you’d expect them to be left aside and newer stuff written, or newer older stuff used.

The story we’ve been told is that Axl has a plan and works on things for years. I tend to believe that, he has something to say with a song like Catcher, in the CD era it was more like coming together of the music and lyrics. Seems like with some vocals/lyrics around Slash and band can be more organic and cohesive. It’s almost like the way Slash would take an Izzy idea like Brownstone or Nightrain and work it up with the band. That didn’t happen with CD. I think it was more like using parts from different eras. So even if you have a CD era song it could still be reworked by the current band, the vocal might be the same and the riff remains the same but it’s played in that classic GNR way, like how songs were GNRized on Spaghetti Incident. Once you have Slash and Duff the songs go through a different filter.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Well all signs point to everything on cd being recorded piecemeal and axl splicing together parts to make songs

I'd be surprised if they have decided to scrap everything and start from scratch...maybe we will get a new song or two, but we are still waiting on these supposed Big A tracks

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

They are mainly reworking Axl songs.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
sp1at wrote:

Thanks - makes sense I guess . Is stuff from 95/96 sessions considered Axl stuff ?

Any word on covers?

wasted

wasted wrote:

Given the magic worked on Shadow I would think the reworking or even adding parts and digital editing might work and large parts of CD were cohesive, only really Scraped and Sorry popped out and that’s kind of cool. Like if Slash and Duff dropped a couple new things into CD II nobodies going to care. An album is just a playlist of tracks. You just hit different areas with different tracks.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

sp1at wrote:

I was really hoping we were going to get some Fortus/Slash co-written stuff, but oh well.

Board footer