You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash in California

James wrote:

CALABASAS, Calif (FOX 2) - NBA legend Kobe Bryant was killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, Sunday morning, according to TMZ.

TMZ Sports reports Kobe was traveling with four other people in his private helicopter when it crashed in Calabasas. TMZ said Kobe's wife, Vanessa, was not among those on board.

The Federal Aviation Administration told Fox News the Sikorsky S-76 helicopter crashed under "unknown circumstances." The FAA said it was informed by local authorities there five people onboard at the time.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.

Kobe's death comes just hours after LeBron James passed him for third on the NBA's all-time scoring list. He sent a tweet late Saturday congratulating James on the feat. It would be the final tweet he would send.

Originally from Philadelphia, Kobe was drafted straight out of high school by the Charlotte Hornets with the 13th overall pick in the first round of the 1996 draft. The Hornets traded him to the Lakers, where he played until he retired in 2016.

In the 20 years in the NBA, he won 5 NBA Finals including being named Finals MVP twice. He also was voted to the All Star team 18 times and scored 81 points in one game against the Toronto Raptors in 2006. That was the second-highest point total in NBA history behind only Wilt Chamberlain's 100 points.

Kobe also won two Gold Medals in the Olympics, in 2008 and 2012. After he retired in 2016, the Lakers retired both number 8, the jersey he wore for the first ten years of his career, and 24, the number he wore for the final ten years. He's the only Laker to have two numbers retired.

TMZ reports that Kobe often used a helicopter to travel and when he played for the Lakers, he would fly from his home in Newport Beach, Calif., to the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles in a helicopter.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/kobe-bryant … california

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

While I haven't watched basketball in like 15 years or so, this is shocking. He was pretty much the Jordan of the generation after us.

I might YouTube some of his early games tonight. I remember how crazy it was watching a teenager playing in the NBA.

RIP

First shocking death of 2020.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Prolly most shocking death in a long time. Yeah, he was great. Hated by alot of us in the 'older' generation who favored Jordan and old school.  I admit, I was never a huge fan, when he started winding it down I ultimately gave him credit as 'Top 10' level player, but still didn't like him much.

Gotta admit tho, he was lethal on the court. When it comes to Jordan, there was none better. But Kobe was lethal.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Yea i heard about this...pretty sad...ive never been much of a basketball fan, but it is shocking

AtariLegend wrote:

Sympathies to his friends and family.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I would guess the reason it resonates so much with everyone is Bc a) every one knows him and b) he was quite young

Board footer