You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
shutout52 wrote:

The "normals" are going to back this guy?

https://www.newsweek.com/michael-bloomb … A63floIHQ8

Not a fan of anyone, as usual, but ISideWith puts me as matching closest to Yang, Bloomberg, and Steyer.  I tend to prefer Delaney, Buttigieg, and Gabbard if someone held a gun to my head and told me to pick a top three.

I'll likely end up with whoever the Libertarians trot out again. Again, as usual.

Judge Judy endorsed him...never seen that before.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I like Mayor Pete, but Democrats can't win elections without the Black Vote.  And Proposition 8 passed in CA in 2008 because Obama got out the black vote.  You can look up the polls; black Americans are not friendly to gay men.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/27/us/p … olina.html

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Joe Biden is done. There's just nothing else to say, really. I had no idea he'd be this terrible.

I have a lot of hope for Amy Klobuchar. I mean, I'm starting to think there might be a chance. Biden is running out of money, there's a real chance he's out soon. On NPR they're saying Warren is in real trouble. That could be huge for Amy. I'm seriously considering donating to her campaign.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Joe Biden is done. There's just nothing else to say, really. I had no idea he'd be this terrible.

I have a lot of hope for Amy Klobuchar. I mean, I'm starting to think there might be a chance. Biden is running out of money, there's a real chance he's out soon. On NPR they're saying Warren is in real trouble. That could be huge for Amy. I'm seriously considering donating to her campaign.

I agree with this. Biden just has too many strikes against him. The whole Hunter thing, while it may have been legal, it was a bit conniving and secretive. He sure didnt mention it. For that, lets not elect him back in. Also, hate to bring up ageism, but imho over 72 is too old for a first term President.

I'm pulling for Klobuchar. We need a moderate & if she were to get it I think she's better off not taking one of these as Veep, and not Coret Booker either  I'd like a Gov.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I agree with this. Biden just has too many strikes against him. The whole Hunter thing, while it may have been legal, it was a bit conniving and secretive. He sure didnt mention it. For that, lets not elect him back in. Also, hate to bring up ageism, but imho over 72 is too old for a first term President.

I'm pulling for Klobuchar. We need a moderate & if she were to get it I think she's better off not taking one of these as Veep, and not Coret Booker either  I'd like a Gov.

I just don’t see it...men won’t vote for women....as much as i like everything about her...

You can’t cut the electorate in half and think you have a real chance of winning.

Same thing with Mayor Pete...as much as i like him too.

With Biden stumbling....i think Bloomberg is the best bet.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I don't see how the Democrats win in November.  It's a catch 22 for them.  With Biden out, Sanders is the front runner.  He has a legion of devout followers who perform all kinds of mental gymnastics to make his platform believable; not that different than Trump.  In fact, there are a lot of similarities between them.

Sanders and the far left already believe Hillary fucked Sanders in 2016.  They're wrong, but there's no arguing Clinton's and the DNC's behavior bordered on corrupt.  If Sanders loses the nomination, in part because the DNC changed the rules to allow Bloomberg to enter, the far left wing is going to revolt and not vote.  They're going to see 2 "Racist" Billionaires on stage, and stay home.  Trump wins.

I just don't see Klobuchar or Pete getting the nomination at this point, and even if they do, the far left is so rabid that it'll harm turnout.  Neither of them are going to excite Latinos or Blacks, whom the DNC need to come out in droves if they want to win swing states.  There's just not a candidate the party can unite behind.  Sanders is too radical for most, and wants to rock the Democratic establishment. 

Maybe Buttigieg or Klobuchar can do really well in the general, and tone down some of their losing issues enough that middle America will overlook their positive situation in response to social issues.  It's a big ask, with such a good economy.  Obama had the 2008 collapse and an incredibly unpopular war to run on.  Trump's boorishness is a turn off to most, but when you actually start talking policy, more Americans agree than disagree.  The far left's position is to decriminalize illegal border crossings, and all 4 of the remaining "Moderates" refuse to take that position.  SCOTUS is probably going to rule DACA unconstitutional, so you'll need someone that can provide a realistic immigration solution.  Democrats will use that as a campaign push for November meaning no legislation will occur, so a moderate position from the front runner won't align with the propaganda being pumped out in Congressional districts, enraging the fanatics again.  Take your pick of social issue, it all ends the same way.

The pundits are talking brokered convention, but that is just more chaos in Trump's favor.  I see it as Bernie vs Trump,  and 2018 showed us that a Sanders and Trump backed candidate in Florida and Ohio goes to Trump.  Will PA, MI and WI go Sanders when his "Green New Deal" kills all their jobs and takes away their private insurance?  I don't think so.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I dont see how Dems win either. Then Trump goes and gets Barr to grant clemency for Stone.

Seriously, days after an abuse of power impeachment vote. The guy cant get out of his own way.  Good timing is all they need.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Bernie is going to fuck it all up. It's like believing in Santa Claus. He can't deliver a single thing he's advocating. There will not be a revolution. This is such a vanity project.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

I don't think his supporters expect him to deliver on everything.

I see many parallels here with 2016 and the Republicans. They shed their traditional identity for a 'winner.' Now's it's a cult of personality. I don't think much is different here. Look at Trump...look at how much bullshit he said he'd deliver and the only thing he's really delivered is the tax cut and a few shoddy pieces of wall. Now Trump is asking people to give up medicare, medicaid and other social programs while he justifies building that wall.

No one on the right is holding Trump to any of his promises.

I disagree about Hillary stealing the 2016 nomination. The perception is all that matters and that's the perception. There's no reason super delegates should exist unless they want to quell the will of the party.

Here's what should concern you if you're a conservative:

There's not a logical reason for Bernie to be the front runner anymore. If people followed the conventional wisdom we've all grown up with, there'd never be a Trump. There'd also never be a Bernie.

This is a rematch of the 2016 election if you ask me. Only this time the number one contender will probably make it to the real fight.

Too few are looking for centrists. If they wanted a centrist, Hillary would have won.

We are truly in uncharted territory. Nothing that has made sense in the past will make sense again. Being in the center implies compromise and no one is interested in that.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The only person that can stop Trump is Trump.  This is an epic debacle for the Dems.

Board footer