You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

The only person that can stop Trump is Trump.  This is an epic debacle for the Dems.

Not saying i think Bernie can win....

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Bernie won't deliver on anything. They honestly believe there will be a revolution. He wants to take over the Democratic party, and change it to the Bernie party. He doesn't have the support for a general election. He's a niche candidate who fell apart with Hillary, who beat him by millions of votes. This is Bernie territory right now.

People were voting for Trump, coming out and lying to pollsters who they voted for. I see that happening again.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Bernie won't deliver on anything. They honestly believe there will be a revolution. He wants to take over the Democratic party, and change it to the Bernie party. He doesn't have the support for a general election. He's a niche candidate who fell apart with Hillary, who beat him by millions of votes. This is Bernie territory right now.

People were voting for Trump, coming out and lying to pollsters who they voted for. I see that happening again.

Like I said...this is Trumps too lose and it pains me to say...but there are two things he could deliver on that I think would matter.

1) Absolving student loan debt

2) Healthcare

And again it's not about what delivers...it's what he promises and tries to appeal to...

Try this on for size...what if Bernie becomes to the sure nomination in like...June....in July he does the unthinkable and officially declares as a Democrat.

Could that heal the party?

misterID

misterID wrote:

Healthcare, and saving SS and Medicare.

I don't think Bernie can heal anything with his following.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I would take saving entitlements vs tax cuts for the rich and corporate welfare any day of the week. All you have to do is not go crazy.

But Bernie will go crazy.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Also, Trump will have to once again hide his tax returns, and lie about why he's not revealing them.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Also, Trump will have to once again hide his tax returns, and lie about why he's not revealing them.

I've read so much garbage as to why he's hiding them....why is he hiding them?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I would take saving entitlements vs tax cuts for the rich and corporate welfare any day of the week. All you have to do is not go crazy.

But Bernie will go crazy.

It will require Bernie to go crazy.

misterID

misterID wrote:

No, I mean crazy as in turning off rational people. That's not good!

Amy Klobuchar will finish in third place in NH, w/ roughly double the vote shares of Biden/Warren.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Trump is pivoting to Health Care.  Democrats refused to even propose single payer in 2009.  He's going to be running on a better version of the ACA that allows for reasonable plans, no details given.  Ultimately, it could lead to a compromise with the House in 2021 that nixes the mandate, but expands coverage for lower income through medicaid.  That's the only politically solvent situation.  Toss in Ivanka's maternity leave bill for good will, and you have a tenable bill that can get through both houses.

The Democrats can't really wheel anyone out to say "this person was fucked by Trump" on healthcare.  It's all hypothetical.  No one wants to negotiate, so Democrats are pleading worse case scenario to voters, should no one act and SCOTUS rule a very specific way.  So when you balance what Trump is saying, versus Bernie, it becomes a hard pill to swallow.  Sure, the moderates are more appealing on Health Care to the masses, but what are they going to say that is substantially different than what Trump wants?  I'm genuinely asking.

The only realistic solution to SS is to increase taxes.  But first you'd need legislation to get through both houses.  It's unlikely the Democrats capture the Senate, about as likely as the Republicans getting the House.  So you have to be realistic on what can get through, even if you end up with a total sweep, cause of the filibuster.    And I don't know how you get a solvent bill to fund SS through taxation. 

We seem not to give a fuck about the national debt anymore.  As a nobody, I feel no impact or change due to the national debt.  Neither party seems to give a fuck.  I fully support a Warren style wealth tax, but I don't know how that gets through congress, let alone the courts.  Some issues aren't solvable until it becomes a crisis.

Board footer