You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Covid 19

Neemo wrote:

There are like 80 confirmed cases in Ontario Canada rn, and there is mass hysteria, like empty grocery stores,  fights in stores, all schools closed for 3 wka, parliament shutdown...

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:

Never seen anything like this before. I really don't understand why people get so crazy over a  flu like disease when all they have to do is wash their hands and avoid putting vulnerable people at risk. Still haven't bought supplies but I think I might try and get some stuff tomorrow, just in case. If I wait any longer I might regret it later.

Yamcha

Yamcha wrote:

AtariLegend wrote:

This herd immunity idea, seems really bad.

Seems like we gave up on the contain part, before trying.

The refusal to cancel large public events, was clearly so the organizers would do so themselves... like the FA with football. It's face saving from the goverment and just reckless imo.

There's going to be a public backlash if we end up with Italian numbers in less than a month.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Without getting political, the biggest issue with how this has been handled is the seemingly shotgun or dartboard solutioning.  There's a specific demographic that seems to be most at risk and that is the elderly and people with compromised immune systems.  I'm still waiting for the decisions to protect those people. 

Right now I cannot get on a cruise ship, which is fine.  A lot of passengers are elderly and it's a lot of at risk people in a small area.  Let's minimize that until we have a better handle on things.  What I can do though is sit in an airport with far more people than get on a cruise ship, fly across the country, walk through another airport with a different group of far more people than a cruise ship, and walk into a hospital or nursing home with actual at risk people with no questions asked.  There's no logic to the decisions being made.  It's like a dam is about to burst and someone is patching little holes with rubber cement.  People/companies are making irrational, knee-jerk reactions out of fear.  And the fear isn't that someone will die, it's that they will face public lashings for not giving into the fear mongering when someone does. 

I'm not keeping up with the death toll...I think CNN said 40ish yesterday total in the US.  Most of those were in one nursing home if I remember correctly.  You know...the at risk population huddled in small locations that anyone can walk into not showing symptoms of the illness because for many people this is such a non-issue if they get it.  This whole thing is being handled backwards and it's all because of fear of public perception and not at all by the actual situation. 

If we end up with Italian numbers, it's going to be because poor decisions were made along the way for the wrong reasons.  Stores were out of silly things like TP.  Whatever.  Now stores are running out of food because irresponsible outlets are telling people to be prepared for weeks of isolation.  If people think the healthcare system isn't prepared if there is an influx of people in the small population that could get serious illness from this, what in the world would make them think that retail could handle a run on food from the entire population?  Even people like me that think this is ridiculous and completely out of control have to wonder if we need to go buy food because other people are idiots...

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

It is all strange and random.

There was diptheria, measles and chicken pox years ago which people just let happen and people just got on with their lives. I think the fallout from closing down everything is going to hit people worse than the virus itself, and if it is a recurring, mutating thing, what happens then. And why are people buying toilet roll and pasta. I went into the shop, they said all the pasta was sold out, but the sauces weren't selling, and the shelves were still full of rice and tins. People are just so weird.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

We went shopping this morning.  Didn't stock up on anything, but did buy a couple packets of tuna in case all hell breaks loose.  Other than that we bought food for the week that we would normally buy.  We bought a couple bottles of wine as well.  For the most part the store was fairly well stocked.  They were out of some meats, some pastas and canned goods were lower than usual, but there was milk and bread.

Then we went across the street to the liquor store for a large bottle of fireball.

The grocery store and target were both out of TP. We were able to get some at the dollar store...they were low, but not out.  We bought 1 package and left the rest for others that might need it.  There are pictures on FB about stores the next town over being completely picked over; ours wasn't so bad, but we did go earlier than normal just in case.  For at least a brief moment, I have some faith in the local humanity.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

A lot of people are buying out shit and putting them on eBay, spiking the prices. EBay can take care of that. Stores need to start rationing this stuff, and I hear a lot are starting to do that, limiting two per person of the most sought after stuff.

And for some reason, church folks think this is a wonderful time to go door to door to try and convert and hand out pamphlets.

Yamcha

Yamcha wrote:

The stores here are still well stocked depending on what you are looking for. But pasta, rice, loo rolls  and soaps are not available. I just don't know who is stocking up as all the people I see in the shops seem to be calmly buying supplies for a few days. I don't see anyone buy stuff in huge quantities.

I bought several packs of noodles instead of pasta, managed to find a pack of loo rolls at the pound shop. If we do anything like what is done in Italy at the moment, the food shops will remain open so there will still be a way to get something to eat. As for soap I still have a lot of fancy ones from TK Maxx, so I don't need to buy any.

I was a bit puzzled as to why people buy loads of loo rolls when my first impulse would be to focus on food and drink and some meds. (Actually I tend to forget loo rolls and have to run to the corner shop to get them 16). But when my mum returned from the hospital and wasn't able to drive, my brother bought her like, 2 packs of 30 rolls, so I suppose that's something normal people do when they stock up.

Update: the French government has just announced that all pubs, restaurants, cinemas, discos as well certain shops will be closed from midnight onward until further notice. How long will it take until BoJo and Trump announce similar measures?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51892477

Somebody shared this on FB:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir … fFXPKmO4hA

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Quite frankly i don’t trust anyone else’s opinions about what’s happening.

Accusing people who are being cautious as giving into fear mongering isn’t necessary. Hoarding TP actually amuses me some.

Not the Least of all, I don’t trust my government right now.

Board footer