You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Axl’s “ridiculous demands”

Sky Dog wrote:

We have no earthly idea what their current deal is with Universal/Geffen. We know they are still under contract and that is it. They have the ability to release music if they want to. For whatever reason, they choose not to. axl

Ps “they” includes the band and the label.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

It's sad but I've lost a bit of respect for him. He insisted on owning the band and then he did nothing with it. He's wasted a lot of people's time and creativity. He's wasted a lot of people's money on an aimlessness that has amounted to a 1992 Use Your Illusion remake tour.

I agree with this, although, I lost alot of respect prior to CD. Like 2004/2005 is when it was over imho. Eventually it was released, it was ok, nothing groundbreaking, too many revolving doors of a bandmates. Thanks guys, I'll put the CD up here on my bookshelf & it brought some good memories.

I think Slash & Duff originally had hopes of an album, and they probably did work on it, then when Axl kept being Axls old self, they didn't get too emotional or invested into it, and realized its just a tour & a cash grab, take it for what it is. I think they'd love to have something released, they're just not gonna get caught up in his game again & moved on in regards to new material (solo stuff etc)

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

That's been the only thing consistent.  His inability to release music over the past 25 years or so.  Can't blame ANYONE but him.  Old fart artists manage to release more than him, even some that died or whatever.

The guy just doesn't want to release music.  It's on him.  And if he doesn't it's his choice.  I'm just not under the illusion that he's working hard or whatever they say in interviews.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I don't think he's worked hard.... creatively speaking.... since 2001.

I've said it for years....the Chinese project ruined him. It was an albatross....the pressure, hype, label politics, etc was too much of a cross to bear. He threw his hands in the air just several years into the project but conveniently didn't tell his fans. From 2002 forwards, it became a bait and switch....use the mysterious 'Chinese Democracy' brand to push nostalgia....then when the 2005 reunion attempt imploded, the cast of characters started changing...the unique lineup that recorded it was replaced to be able to market the band towards a more casual audience that's drawn in by the old hits.

It's why I 'gave up' when Ashba was brought in. He was no longer bothering to pretend we were moving forward. I knew we never getting anything else.

I was labeled insane for this belief. tongue

I do believe we will eventually get some type of album to properly bookend the band. What this 'swan song' would be I have no idea.... actual new album, box set, compilation, etc.

It's not going to end at CD. He's not stupid. He's not getting any younger and has to consider his legacy at some point. His small discography is a travesty and the smallest amongst icons....no changing that...but he can finish it on a high note.

The older I (we) get....the more I believe he should've went the Billy Joel route....once it was obvious that CD wasn't happening how he envisioned it (2001), just announce he's spent creatively, finished as a recording artist, but will continue touring off and on. This would've helped tremendously....it barely changes anything discography wise and it saves him from the mountains of animosity and tension with his fan base. It would also help hide how incredibly mismanaged the band always was in the CD era.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

I don't think he's worked hard.... creatively speaking.... since 2001.

I've said it for years....the Chinese project ruined him. It was an albatross....the pressure, hype, label politics, etc was too much of a cross to bear. He threw his hands in the air just several years into the project but conveniently didn't tell his fans. From 2002 forwards, it became a bait and switch....use the mysterious 'Chinese Democracy' brand to push nostalgia....then when the 2005 reunion attempt imploded, the cast of characters started changing...the unique lineup that recorded it was replaced to be able to market the band towards a more casual audience that's drawn in by the old hits.

It's why I 'gave up' when Ashba was brought in. He was no longer bothering to pretend we were moving forward. I knew we never getting anything else.

I was labeled insane for this belief. tongue

I do believe we will eventually get some type of album to properly bookend the band. What this 'swan song' would be I have no idea.... actual new album, box set, compilation, etc.

It's not going to end at CD. He's not stupid. He's not getting any younger and has to consider his legacy at some point. His small discography is a travesty and the smallest amongst icons....no changing that...but he can finish it on a high note.

The older I (we) get....the more I believe he should've went the Billy Joel route....once it was obvious that CD wasn't happening how he envisioned it (2001), just announce he's spent creatively, finished as a recording artist, but will continue touring off and on. This would've helped tremendously....it barely changes anything discography wise and it saves him from the mountains of animosity and tension with his fan base. It would also help hide how incredibly mismanaged the band always was in the CD era.

Not sure I buy this. Axl always needed mystique to sell nu-guns. If he had publicly stated his intentions to retire as an artist and tour on Guns N’ Rose “Axl Rose Plays the Hits” I think they do their theatre tour sooner than they did. Shortly thereafter, he’s Baz, even if he still has the band name.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The strength of the discography forever prevents him from entering Baz territory.

Axl always needed mystique to sell nu-guns.

Which is why the CD name was used up until it was irrelevant....and he started dealing with half empty arenas by 2002. It became a pattern. People are interested, then it fades fast.

If he pulls a Billy Joel, it changes expectations.

It also brings on the reunion quicker.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

To me it's a double edged sword, HE NEEDED the GNR name to sell the project, but he would have been better off (creatively speaking) just going a solo route for a while, until the inevitable reunion happened.

Sad that the words he said in those late 90s-early 2000s interviews were prophetic.

Sky Dog wrote:

It’s disgusting to hear Axl thrown in the Baz territory...NOT even in the same Universe!!!!

That being said, I agree with James. Ax bit off more than he could chew with Chinese. His talent is unquestionably immense. His management skills and execution of his ideas as an artist are not top shelf. He needed strong guidance and never found it. Never found that one guy who was not just a self serving sycophant.

Sky Dog wrote:

To double up, Guns NEVER gets close to their legendary status without Axl. Period. He was the dude with the insane vision to be the Sex Pistols Stones Zep Who Skynyrd Aerosmith Elton all whipped in to one in a period of 4 years. A normal screeched metal douche can’t do that. He was the ONLY singer who could pull it off. I was actually there and he did it. axl

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

It’s disgusting to hear Axl thrown in the Baz territory...NOT even in the same Universe!!!!

That being said, I agree with James. Ax bit off more than he could chew with Chinese. His talent is unquestionably immense. His management skills and execution of his ideas as an artist are not top shelf. He needed strong guidance and never found it. Never found that one guy who was not just a self serving sycophant.

Axl and Baz aren’t in the same universe when it comes to musical contributions/success. But does the general public draw a distinction between 87-92 top-40 rock lead singers without a new album and playing old hits?

Board footer