You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Greatest Hits Vinyl Reissue

Sky Dog wrote:

The 92 partnership controls the back catalog so we know Duff will be involved...which is good.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
James wrote:

The past 5 years or so, the 'legacy acts' figured out that you could bring in decent money by unloading their vault in the form of remasters, anniversary editions, box sets, vinyl, etc.

You're not wrong generally but wrong specifically.

The other acts you mention have both more albums, more live performances, and more years of activity. Guns N' Roses has 1987-1994 and you could mount an argument that the year span is even further narrowed because they've always operated like a dysfunctional mom and pop operation. Some were recorded but not professionally or psuedo-professionally. They can sweeten them but there's only so much you can do.

We already know of a good chunk of B-Sides, recording sessions, etc. for the 1987-1994 era. They're not going to be pulling very many rabbits out of hats. And in the case of Metallica, they're still an active band. They put out documentaries, new albums, live releases, etc. Hetfield isn't nixing YouTube freebies or Grammy appearances because he doesn't like his gut or his double chin.

The above is the reason for: (1) the slow trickle (2) the AFD box set pricing and (3) the soon-to-be re-released Greatest Hits.

In reverse order, the reason Greatest Hits is the 2004 release plus "Shadow of Your Love" is because to release either a new single CD Greatest Hits CD with a reworked track listing or a double CD Very Best of would cannibalize future releases, i.e. the UYI box set you mentioned. To call "Shadow" a hit is such a piece of odious propaganda it cannot be taken seriously on it's face, even if you curve for the modern era of streams over radio plays, etc.

The AFD box set is and was their only significant card to play (not including finished post '94-pre '97 material). Everything is diminishing returns from there. They were perfectly happy to let the market set the price because most people don't give a fuck about listening to alternative versions of a near flawless album, so pack it with stupid reprint flyers and get what you can out of it. I can't say that I love all of Pink Floyd's legacy releases but between the band's artistic effort in their glory days and the work they did remix and remastering, to a good chunk of that specific fanbase, they're worth the investment. And they're significantly cheaper than the Locked N' Loaded abomination.

And who is minding the store? The guy who thought Caram Costanzo was better at his job than Andy Wallace and the guy who thought a no-prenup deal with a former pimp was a good idea. And again, not to beat a dead horse even though sometimes I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, even if this rogues gallery got off their ass and had the business savvy to get an operation off the ground, they'd be subject to their corporate masters' beck and call, i.e., they don't have the latitude to operate independently and get things to market quickly.

TL;DR:

Waggy out

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yes.... we're at the point in time where the band's small discography, regardless of how strong it is, becomes a negative.

Can they continually release box sets of material like the Metallica's and Springsteen's of the world?

No.

Having said that, they do have enough to take one stab at the market per album.

They already did AFD so scratch that off the list.

Lies - This might be skipped over for obvious reasons.... potential controversy over One In A Million, even Used To Love Her. They also included material from this album on Locked and Loaded.

Not much to work with here as the sessions were not long. Cornshucker....CBGB acoustic show in 87, alternate takes of songs, that's about it.

The Lies album plus what's listed above....

Two discs.

UYI -

- Rough cut of the albums Slash has raved on for 30 years.

- Adler sessions

- various demos

- the holy grail hardcores have wanted for decades....the version of YCBM recorded by the 87-88 lineup.

- the covers recorded during the UYI sessions with Izzy that didn't make the albums

A box set here.

TSI -

Now we're getting down to the nitty gritty....very little to work with but on the other hand, potential for two never heard songs.....

- Down on the Street by the Stooges

-  Beer and a Cigarette by Hanoi Rocks

- the songs recorded during the UYI sessions which may not be in contention if used for an Illusions box set.

One problem with the two never heard tracks...

They may not have vocals. While extreme hardcore fans may want to hear instrumentals, nobody else cares. Axl would need to go in and record vocals.

The two songs would be a major selling point for an album that has little interest to begin with.

This may just be the TSI album with two bonus tracks, maybe three if you include SFTD for shits and giggles.

- Live Era

A standard re-release... specifically on vinyl.

That's it in the music department.

When it comes to any 94-96 material, where does that fit? Nothing was ever done with it.

As far as video goes, they have a few legitimate options.....

- The Perfect Crime documentary

- Live at the Ritz 87 and 88

While it had the potential to be amazing, I don't think we'll ever get a Perfect Crime release. Ritz seems unlikely but it's possible.

The longer they wait to release this stuff, the less interest there will be. Within 10 years or so, no one will buy music.... they'll just stream it.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

One thing I'm not interested in is more covers from UYI. YCBM would be interesting, wouldn't that just include Adler tho?  Was it ever ready to go for AFD, or just a song/demo.

Would love to hear a rough cut of alot of UYI, just songs not completely overdone. An alternate November Rain would be great, could maybe even be a hit song again.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

One thing I'm not interested in is more covers from UYI. YCBM would be interesting, wouldn't that just include Adler tho?  Was it ever ready to go for AFD, or just a song/demo.

Would love to hear a rough cut of alot of UYI, just songs not completely overdone. An alternate November Rain would be great, could maybe even be a hit song again.

Locked N’ Loaded has November Rain just the way you like it.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

The acoustic & piano version?  Bro, I had that on cassette tape back in '90 lol 16  44 Caliber Horticulture

I'm talking like a differently put together final version, tho I love those raw versions far better than UYI.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I know. I guess my point is there are 3 versions of that song officially released...you want a fourth? Drums up, flutes down?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I want those two unreleased tunes from TSI. I absolutely LOVE the sound of TSI. It’s the best the UYI lineup (minus Izzy) ever sounded in the studio.

And if there’s no vocals recorded - as I’ve read many many times since the album came out - Axl, get your ass in the studio and cut and paste together the best vocal take you can muster and put those fuckers out.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I know. I guess my point is there are 3 versions of that song officially released...you want a fourth? Drums up, flutes down?

I guess I'm beating a 'dead horse' lol but I think this all sorta ties in with my beef with UYI from the jump. I had high hopes for NR, a killer song that might revolutionize rock radio & blow it up. Instead, it just seemed nauseatingly overdone, such a gem of a song buried beneath the layers. I felt U2's 'One' sortof outdid it for that era, and that shouldn't have heppened.

That aside, then you have 2 covers that they essentially released as singles, being that there were MTV vids for both, 2 Don't Cry's, My World (junk), GITR was ok in its day, a bit silly. Civil War is epic & might be their best song, but it was over a year old at that point. Thats like almost an entire album of things I had a problem with lol.  Gimmie Incesticide or Bleach instead.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I have to think a lot of these garbage releases and other shit in the store is a cash grab which has the Lebies’ fingerprints all over it.

I would speculate that they have some deal where they personally get a cut for their roll in trotting out this shit.  So I expect to see a continued stream of useless kitsch stuff rolled out.

But they can’t even do it properly, as others have said they completely missed the mark with the Locked n Loaded boxset from a pricing and content point of view.

I lost interest in collecting quite a few years ago and hadnt bought anything for years.  I will confess tho that I finally bought the Locked n Loaded the other day for $299. Still a rip off!

Board footer