You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Wrestling thread

James wrote:

Bob Armstrong died. RIP.

Wasn't a huge fan of the Armstrong's....I couldn't stand Brad Armstrong....they were both briefly in NWA in 86-87 battling Flair for the title. It was snoozeville to me and my heart skipped a beat years later when it came out that they considered giving one of them the belt for a short title reign.

I would've changed the channel.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

Bob Armstrong died. RIP.

Wasn't a huge fan of the Armstrong's....I couldn't stand Brad Armstrong....they were both briefly in NWA in 86-87 battling Flair for the title. It was snoozeville to me and my heart skipped a beat years later when it came out that they considered giving one of them the belt for a short title reign.

I would've changed the channel.

Ha...that was a bit before my time. I remember Brad Armstrong the WCW jobber and 'road dogg' jesse james whose full name is jesse james armstrong I think.

I know they were legendary. Those territory days seem like an ice age ago.

James

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Did you see Wrestlemamia III as it happened? Just for historical significance...I hope you did.

I did.

$39.95

A LOT in those days... especially for a 12 year old.

I wanted to just have a group of friends come over to watch it with me. Unfortunately, Mcmahon was a genius and promoted the Hogan-Andre angle so well that even people who didn't care wanted to see it.

Once family members found out we were ordering it, it went from a junior high get together to a huge family event.

Even my grandma...who didn't give a rat's rump about wrestling, had to come over because she wanted to see Hogan slam Andre.

Our apartment was literally packed like a sardine can. Unreal. It was a blast though. A huge party...tons of food...

You should've heard the screaming during the Steamboat-Savage match. Everyone was into it. They recapped the whole feud before the match so everyone could get into it.

Our apartment shook when Hogan slammed Andre. I can still see my grandma laughing her ass off.

That era of wrestling was magical and will never be replicated.

Wrestlemania III is the only wrestling event in history where the entire world actually gave a shit.

A few days ago I watched a November 1985 episode of World Championship Wrestling. One of the episodes leading up to Starrcade 85. 

Pure nostalgia fuel. I know we've talked about this before but the z grade production and low rent nature of the whole thing blows my mind as an adult. The more realistic portrayal of the product evens it out though.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Road warrior Animal has passed at age 60.

James

James wrote:

FUCK.

I just saw this news when I woke up.

The greatest and most important tag team in history. They completely changed the game.

I'll never forget how menacing they were in the early years...which is the only period that truly matters. They watered the concept down too much in later years, and never really recovered once going to the WWF.

It's not talked about much anymore but the Legion of Doom initially was not just an alternate name for the Road Warriors. It was a stable that included The Road Warriors. It also included Jake the Snake Roberts and The Spoiler. I could've sworn that Bundy was in it briefly but he's not listed as a member. Weird.

Anyways, Hulkamania the exception, they were the hottest thing in the wrestling world in 1984. Every territory would bring them in just to pop a huge crowd attendance. They were heels yet crowds would mainly cheer for them. Then like Flair, they morphed into natural tweeners which is where they should've stayed in my opinion.

I will never forget their time in AWA. Pure dominance....and when they lost the belts to Garvin and Regal it was the biggest upset in history.

It also spelled doom for the AWA as they never recovered after they bailed.

I also preferred their original makeup.

Little known factoid....

They were almost in World Class to feud with the Von Erichs. Fritz was willing to pay them...but they balked at the last second when they realized that all they were being brought in for was to get their assed kicked by the Von Erichs and lose all their heat.

That would've been an awesome feud though.

It will forever be a travesty that  Crockett was too incompetent to give the world a Road Warriors vs Rock N Roll Express dream match at the Crockett Cup. Both teams were in the tournament and there was no reason not to let fans have it.

A couple highlights from the golden age....

Vs the Koloffs 1985

Where it all started... Georgia Championship Wrestling in 1983....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFtlv2soA9o

James

James wrote:

Couple more....

Highlights of the infamous scaffold match at Starrcade 86 with the Midnight Express

Tons of hype...sounded amazing on paper.... terrible execution. The concept is just too far out for wrestling.

Highlights of Wargames: The Match Beyond

Road Warriors, Dusty, Nikita, and Paul Ellering vs the Four Horsemen and JJ Dillon

I still say that this was the greatest non-conventional wrestling match of all time. Shocking that it took so many years to be invented. It's the absolute perfect concept to end a heated feud between stables.

Unfortunately, it peaked with the first one.

Without Wargames, Hell In A Cell and Chamber matches probably don't exist.

AtariLegend wrote:

r.i.p. Animal

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If You watched the The Dark Side Of The Ring episode your be fucking furious how Hawk sabotaged them right at their peak.

They were really symbolic of the difference between NWA and WWF. They were so dark, gritty and violent. Those clothes lines were brutal.

RIP

James

James wrote:

Never watched it. Other than wanting to move up to the big leagues quick or the decision to wrestle solo matches against Flair where Hawk was obviously quite capable, not sure exactly how he was sabotaging them.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

Never watched it. Other than wanting to move up to the big leagues quick or the decision to wrestle solo matches against Flair where Hawk was obviously quite capable, not sure exactly how he was sabotaging them.

Dark Side of the Ring is great. The Benoit and Hart episodes were a punch in the gut. Really well done show.

Board footer