You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: How much has Axl worked on CD since its release?

exoterica wrote:
otto wrote:

I'm critical to death on Axl's lack of push to move forward through the years but with tidbits and Tommy's comments

I don’t doubt there was a good measure of record company nonsense but the point is these things weren’t unique to other big acts.

Instead Axl put his housekeeper in charge.

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

At some point they must have really wanted something out, to sink 14 million into it.

I suspect there was some level of malfeasance afoot by multiple parties involved. This to say nothing of the opaque yet legitimate tax write offs, mergers, what have you.

I’m not optimistic the record company wanted it out post Mar 2004 when the plug was officially pulled.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

Oh my god es un autentico cañonazo!....suena a guns?...no!...pero que coño! aveis escuchado esa apizonadora de banda y axl berreando como un demonio?....definitivamente hay gente que no asimila que el sonido de appetite se fue con ellos mismos,los illusions eran otra cosa!....que hiba a rrepetir sonido mas alla del 2000?...sabeis la de grupos que han salido en los ultimos años?....lo gracioso de todo es que chinese no esta muy lejos de un use your illusions siglo 21!....con las mejores guitarras que puedas escuchar en años!...tecnica,sentimiento y virtuosismo y diferentes estilos!.....chinese es un cañonazo epico y atemporal!....la obra de un genio loco pasandose a la dicografica por el forro de los cojones y una vez parida reune a la banda antigua para que admiren y aprendan a no cuestionar el talento que se le fue puesto en duda!.....velvet revolver?....???? me descojono!....axl win!

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

No speaky Spanish.

I listened to Chinese on EU vinyl tonight. Sounds incredible in comparison to the disc version.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
otto wrote:

I'm critical to death on Axl's lack of push to move forward through the years but with tidbits and Tommy's comments

I don’t doubt there was a good measure of record company nonsense but the point is these things weren’t unique to other big acts.

Instead Axl put his housekeeper in charge.

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

At some point they must have really wanted something out, to sink 14 million into it.

I suspect there was some level of malfeasance afoot by multiple parties involved. This to say nothing of the opaque yet legitimate tax write offs, mergers, what have you.

I’m not optimistic the record company wanted it out post Mar 2004 when the plug was officially pulled.

To be fair Axl put his housekeeper in charge way late in the game.
Before her it was Doug (a Hanger on) and Merck, a successful manager on his own before embarking on the GNR craziness thing.

I'm not AT ALL excusing Axl, I think he was the one the holding the project from achieving all the heights it could, but I also think the record company has its blame.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Merck, a successful manager on his own before embarking on the GNR craziness thing.

Merck was the worst of them all....was the manager at a crucial point in time and stupidly fell into the rabbit hole of forum politics and spent half his time sending emails to Madison and chineseblues about irrelevant bullshit.

He should've been fired a year before he was.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

Merck there’s way better songs on Chinese than IRS and Checkmate isn’t a GNR song Mercuriadis

And yeah probably but he saved the project before Azoff and his boss was a loon so he gets a pass

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

The 14 songs from the released album.

Going back to the OP question.

Have these songs evolved further? I could imagine a George Lucas aspect to it - afterall the band has done stuff like release 2 versions of Don't Cry and You're Crazy. Doesn't mean they will - but I wouldn't rule it out.

We know at least there was some toying around with remixes by people associated with the band.

There's the  DJ Ashba remix of better and the Bumble Acoustic version of better. Although both of those might have just been the members toying around with them as they both feature the released vocal tracks. Then there's the brain and melisa remix of ITW. I always thought these were slightly strange projects.

I mean Chinese is one of my favourite albums. But it's strange to me when you consider that these songs seemed to already dominate the GNR creative landscape from 1999-2008 - that then when they finally came out - only few years on that they'd be again the focus - you'd think he would have been keen to put them to bed already. Especially given how many other songs and partial songs from the era are said to exist...in a way it's odd that these songs - as good as they are to me - keep re-surfacing.

Meanwhile...more interesting to me is the remix version of This I Love - as that one uses a different vocal track! Was it made using an ancient outtake from the original sessions, or did Axl step back to the studio later and lay down new vocals for it?

If i had to guess, i notice that a lot of the style of the way he sings it in the remix sounds similar to his 2009 style voice...which makes me wonder if he did indeed record those vocals much later than previous versions. But I could be totally wrong on that.

We've also seen Slash and Duff re-arrange elements of Better live.

Who knows but I could imagine that a follow up album might see a re-visited song or two from Chinese - perhaps arranged with more of a rock feel and with Slash and Duff doing their thing, along with the unreleased Chinese stuff, and you'd assume a couple of modern slash rockers as well.

Cerulean wind
 Rep: -6 

My take on what's on CD II, the next album:

1 - "HardSkool"
2 - "Atlas"
3 - "Grace"
4 - "Elvis"
5 - "Cuban"
6 - "Perhaps"
7 - "7"
8 - "Wichita Lineman" [Glen Campbell song]
9 - "The Seeker" [The Who song]
10 - "Bennie & The Jets" [Elton John song]
11 - "Black Hole Sun" [Soundgarden song]
12 - "General""
13 - "Absurd!"
14 - "Light My Fire (Monstrosity)"

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Cerulean wind wrote:

1 - "HardSkool"
2 - "Atlas"
3 - "Grace"
4 - "Elvis"
5 - "Cuban"
6 - "Perhaps"
7 - "7"
10 - "Bennie & The Jets" [Elton John song]
11 - "Black Hole Sun" [Soundgarden song]
12 - "General""
13 - "Absurd!"
14 - "Light My Fire (Monstrosity)"

I'd be shocked if four covers were on any new album. I'd expect it to be all originals unless they are going balls to the wall unload everything, do two albums like they did when UYI I & II came out.

Also all of those covers would require new vocals by Axl... I'd expect the vocals he recorded in the 90s and 00s.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Cerulean wind wrote:

1 - "HardSkool"
2 - "Atlas"
3 - "Grace"
4 - "Elvis"
5 - "Cuban"
6 - "Perhaps"
7 - "7"