You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: You are the new manager of Gn'R, what do you do?

exoterica wrote:

> The year is 2021.
> Axl Rose gets really drunk one night.
> He signs over the rights and ownership of Guns N' Roses to you in exchange for a Chalupa.
> As part of the aforementioned drunken agreement, Fernando and Beta have been fired. Out of a cannon. Into the sun.
> You now have complete control over Axl's career and the Guns N' Roses band and brand.
> Axl is your marionette to do with as you please.

What do you do?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Before the next tour starts, I'd release a 2 disc best of that includes two new songs. One new song/video to be released as a single right before the tour starts, the second song a few months later during the second leg.

If they're interested in a new album, that would be the next priority.

I'd also give Live Era a proper LP release. Fans shouldn't have to pay hundreds of dollars on eBay.

I would also bring up the possibility of doing a residency or two in the US and Europe with the AFD lineup.

A few years down the line, some sort of release to nail the coffin shut on Chinese.

For such a major act, they have very few cards to play.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

A box set. Documentary. Release a single. Put out an album.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

1.Dissolve the band, no one needs to see this embarrassing circus in concert again.
2.Release CDII/Stay Of Execution unaltered by Slash/Duff.

This should have happened in 2010, Axl maybe wouldn't have gone out on top as far as the public/press is concerned, but he would have gone out as Axl Rose. The corporate jukebox that showed up at Rio 2011 and calls himself Axl Rose has been nothing but a disgrace, and that includes his universally praised raspy nostalgia whore shows in 2016.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Fuck the Box sets. Fuck the Greatest Hits Bullshit.

They fucking go in the studio. Record two back to back albums. With new material or any decent Chinese Democracy era leftovers.

None of this bullshitting around. Then they tour the fuck out of the album.

This band needs more material, and more original content studio albums. It's a joke that they have such few content.

And I would hire Lindsey Buckingham as the producer of both fucking albums. He knows his shit. No pieces of shit like Rick Rubin or Brendan O'Brien or any mainstream hack fuck. Lindsey Buckingham.

The fucking album is released, and promoted on Late Night shows with a tour.

Boom tour ends. Next album is dropped. Begins the next tour. After said tour more studio albums. This time they're released back to back. Try and coincide this with UYI 1 and 2 anniversary date. Boom another tour.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Ya'll are terrible managers.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

...i dunno if anything can "fix" it at this point...at least not in the way we want...the music scene is either nostalgia, pop or hipster grade one hit wonders

No one buys music anymore we live in a world of spotify,  apple music & amazon prime streaming services

And to complicate things further the 'rona' has made live events and tours,  as we know it,  a thing of the past

With that said, I'd suggest writing a book like the dirt, making a bio-pic/tv show of it and sell to highest bidder like the Crue, do the odd live event streaming to drive-in theaters like Metallica did...or a couple songs from hone like billy joe and or roger waters .... they need to generate a buzz before they can do anything else imho

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

1.Dissolve the band, no one needs to see this embarrassing circus in concert again.
2.Release CDII/Stay Of Execution unaltered by Slash/Duff.

This would be my play more or less:

1. A final album, combining 95-96 vault material and new songs by ASD
2. Rebrand CD II as WAR, Axl becomes a branded solo act, does select gigs but mostly a studio act moving forward

And bonus common sense stuff:
3. Release all CD era stuff in best quality ie: House of Blues, etc
4. Classic era stuff released regularly

I also like SundanceKids idea of bringing in someone like Buckingham. An artist working with an artist.

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Izzyjim wrote:

I'd tease and blackmail the fans with 7 seconds clips of unreleased songs. Yup, I'm an asshole big_smile

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Some sort of new content to promote the tour. Either a best-of with a couple of new tracks, or an EP, or a new album. Ideally a new album. Drop it out of nowhere on streaming services one day, like Beyoncé or Eminem do, it'd generate crazy press.

Get serious about releasing old gigs on YouTube. None of this pissing around releasing three or four songs from NITL shows and worrying that putting out official footage of Matt Sorum or Izzy will delegitimize the current band. Do what Metallica does. A release every week for a few months. Treat it as a journey through an exciting archive; have Axl or Slash or Duff or whoever record little intros setting the scene, like Lars does.

Once there's a new album out, feel free to draw on every era of the band, it won't affect the current band one iota. Ritz 88, overblown UYI gigs, Skin N' Bones tour, House of Blues with Bucket... fan-cam releases with remastered soundboard audio - fuck it, put everything out there. You're not going to make money off DVD releases anymore, the content is just mouldering in the vault at this point.

They have to own their past and stop running from it. Yeah, a biopic would probably focus on the AFD/UYI years and chart the break-up of the band. So fucking what? Bohemian Rhapsody ended with the death of the lead singer and it's revitalised Queen for the younger generation.

At some point down the line, do those UYI and Chinese Democracy box sets just to shut the fans up.

I wouldn't go so far as to do a residency with the AFD line-up - that really would delegitimize the current band. But an AFD/UYI themed residency where they bring on Gilby or Izzy or Adler or Matt (hell, why not Tracey and Roberta too?) for the odd guest spot might not be a bad idea.

Board footer