You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Covid 19

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

So that means the benefits of any possible vaccine are also going to quickly wane.  At least one study said that 85% of those infected wore their masks all the time!

You have to wear it properly. And the longer you're out the more apt you are to make a mistake, ie, touching your face/food.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

So that means the benefits of any possible vaccine are also going to quickly wane.  At least one study said that 85% of those infected wore their masks all the time!

You have to wear it properly. And the longer you're out the more apt you are to make a mistake, ie, touching your face/food.

I’m not denying that mask mitigate transmission, but they’re not shields. Both the WHO and CDC have published and immediately retracted articles that say the virus is spread via aerosols, or it’s airborne for the layman. Masks protect spreading via droplets of fluid, which was the big distinction we were told was the primary method of transmission. Some experts, and those parroted by the media, claimed the virus wasn’t an aerosol. This is the same time they announced spread through physical contact was less likely than we were told in March.

If this thing is aerosol primarily, masks aren’t doing shit. We couldn’t breathe through them if they did. Enjoy wearing that N-95 everywhere. Again, one study showed 85% of infected patients wore the mask.

If your expectation is that people can be commanded to wear the mask “perfectly”, that’s not happening. And if it’s aerosol, masks have a negligible effect. Especially with the reality of how people wear masks in practice.

No vaccine exists yet, so no one can say for certain. I know some new techniques are being proposed. But in a traditional vaccine, the body develops antibodies to a weakened or dead virus. If the article Atari posted is indeed accurate, there’s no reason to believe antibodies from a vaccine would last longer than the antibodies developed through natural infection.

No body but the exception is cheering this thing on or wishing people to die. But we have information on who’s most vulnerable to this thing. It’s not normal people under 60. It’s the extreme elderly and people with serious medical issues. In the US, people 60-70 have a 99.5% survival rate. People our age are all but immune to its worst effects unless you have the aforementioned extreme illness. Picking ones and twos out of hundreds of thousands is not a illustrative example.

I wear my mask and try to wash it weekly. Most people aren’t. I social distance as requested, but I’m also out supporting local restaurants and businesses to keep them alive. I was fortunate enough to not be impacted by the economy. I kept my job and have worked from my home office the past 7 months. I’m lucky. A lot of people aren’t and are suffering. The damage the shut downs caused their personal lives may never recover. Children are badly missing the socialization they absolutely need by being in school. The quality of their education is being hindered. Funerals and weddings aren’t happening.

How long do we keep this going?  When do we focus measures on the vulnerable and allow the rest of us to live our lives?  No one wants to have that discussion.  This entire thing had been politicized regardless of your personal feelings. You can’t even discuss the science and evidence behind it without being assailed as some nutter. No questioning of the declared orthodoxy is permissible.

This is a question that has to be answered. Because a vaccine may never come. We get to have a discussion before we indefinitely lock our doors and hide  until being afraid is no longer an excuse to ruin lives unchallenged.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

My buddy and I talked a long time about a vaccine over beers on his deck a couple weeks back. We both lean toward not having one that’s really gonna be worth a shit. Most you have to take twice. That’s gonna be tough to get people to do, especially if side effects first time around are as bad as I’m reading.

I don’t know what the complete answer is. We’re mostly wearing masks now, shit is shut down, people are distancing, washing hands, and yet it’s very close to completely out of control. It’s gotta be aerosol, which Trump told Bernstein was the case.

A vaccine would be nice, but I hope there’s an equal push for good treatments outside of that.

AtariLegend wrote:

Apparently the UK is entering a full lockdown after Wed next week.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I bet that's gonna go over well.

I have a feeling we're going to get another lockdown here within a few months.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Canada is slowly lockimg things down again

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I bet that's gonna go over well.

I have a feeling we're going to get another lockdown here within a few months.

They almost have to.  The numbers are fucking scary.  1 million new cases in 2 weeks.  And a person dying every two minutes or something. 

And apparently, infections are up in Europe again.  Lockdowns in several countries.  Tourism and economy in those countries aren't going to be back to normal for a long while.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Everyone needs to do some major shopping. Last time this happened a lot of the shelves were empty here. That was eerie. It was a small taste of what a collapse will look like.

Tourism and economy in those countries aren't going to be back to normal for a long while.

I don't think it's ever going back to normal. Even if it did, most small businesses will be long dead. Cities are dying.

They're really pushing "The Great Reset".

Remember those old dystopic movies where the only businesses are the huge corporations and the only fast food is shit like McDonald's and Taco Bell?

Welcome to the coming dystopia....

AtariLegend wrote:

So Bio N Tech is a German company that got money from the the Germany goverment and European Investment bank... not the US.

Pzifer who seem to be getting all the credit were a partner and did not get US cash from Trump's vaccine programme.

They say it's 90% effective in the trials, fingers crossed.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Bah...going back to increased restrictions in my province come monday

Board footer