You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Wrestling thread

James wrote:

One notable example of Hogan refusing to work with someone is with Rick Rude in 87-88.

They might have had a one off match here and there... don't remember...but I do know he refused to do a major angle with him.

Supposedly he didn't like the fact Rude worked really stiff. Never bought the excuse because he worked with other stiff wrestlers like Vader, Goldberg, etc.

I always had a feeling it was similar to why he didn't want a major angle with Jake Roberts...

He was worried about the crowd potentially turning on him and the heel getting loud cheers. It would've been a disaster...as he found out when Jake DDT him at one tv taping and the crowd went nuts. WWF killed the angle instantly and buried the tape.

The story I heard eons ago is if Hogan liked you, you moved up the card. If he didn't, you flatlined.

In Hogan's defense, many wrestlers looked out for their own interests and would fuck someone over.

Remember the Rick Rude-Jake Roberts feud over Rude and Jake's wife?

That's not what it was initially supposed to be. It was supposed to be Rude and Savage over Elizabeth.

Savage shit canned the idea immediately.

Jake was plan B.

In mid 80s NWA, Dusty shit on a lot of guys(Manny Fernandez, Buddy Landell) and played favorites. If someone started getting more popular than him, he'd either insert himself into their story (The Road Warriors, Magnum TA) or nose dive them down the card(Rock N Roll Express).

It's the nature of the business.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

One notable example of Hogan refusing to work with someone is with Rick Rude in 87-88.

They might have had a one off match here and there... don't remember...but I do know he refused to do a major angle with him.

Supposedly he didn't like the fact Rude worked really stiff. Never bought the excuse because he worked with other stiff wrestlers like Vader, Goldberg, etc.

I always had a feeling it was similar to why he didn't want a major angle with Jake Roberts...

He was worried about the crowd potentially turning on him and the heel getting loud cheers. It would've been a disaster...as he found out when Jake DDT him at one tv taping and the crowd went nuts. WWF killed the angle instantly and buried the tape.

The story I heard eons ago is if Hogan liked you, you moved up the card. If he didn't, you flatlined.

In Hogan's defense, many wrestlers looked out for their own interests and would fuck someone over.

Remember the Rick Rude-Jake Roberts feud over Rude and Jake's wife?

That's not what it was initially supposed to be. It was supposed to be Rude and Savage over Elizabeth.

Savage shit canned the idea immediately.

Jake was plan B.

In mid 80s NWA, Dusty shit on a lot of guys(Manny Fernandez, Buddy Landell) and played favorites. If someone started getting more popular than him, he'd either insert himself into their story (The Road Warriors, Magnum TA) or nose dive them down the card(Rock N Roll Express).

It's the nature of the business.

I have another example for you...Remember when Undertaker beat Hulk Hogan for the title with a bunch of help from Ric Flair? Hogan tried to claim backstage that Undertaker legit hurt Hogan with the piledrive to end the match. After review of the tape, it's clear that Hogan's head never hit the anything and he was well protected.

Why did he claim this? It's theorized that he was trying to derail a push for Taker as he attempted to do with many people he thought were nipping at his heels.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I read that when Taker fought Lesnar at WM, which ended the streak, he legit got a concussion early in the match and doesn't remember any of it. Basically, Brock had to carry the match, then went with him to the hospital and never left his side. And if you know the history between the two, that's a pretty big deal. And that match sent him into a big depression.

I watched Austin vs Bret Hart last night, Summer Slam 97 I think, and holy shit that was a great match.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

I watched Austin vs Bret Hart last night, Summer Slam 97 I think, and holy shit that was a great match.

They only wrestled twice (like one on one) on major PPV's, Survivor Series 1996 and the famous I quit match from Wrestlemania 13.  They are both different matches too.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I read that when Taker fought Lesnar at WM, which ended the streak, he legit got a concussion early in the match and doesn't remember any of it. Basically, Brock had to carry the match, then went with him to the hospital and never left his side. And if you know the history between the two, that's a pretty big deal. And that match sent him into a big depression.

Bret was doing his best work ever in 1997 if you ask me.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

They only wrestled twice (like one on one) on major PPV's, Survivor Series 1996 and the famous I quit match from Wrestlemania 13.  They are both different matches too.

Yes the wrestlemania match is the best one...they basically switched roles during the match. Bret went in the the good guy came out the bad guy. Austin came in the bad guy and became the good.

How often have you ever seen something like that pulled off?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

One of my fav matches ever was Kurt Angle vs Shane-O-Mac

misterID

misterID wrote:

Shane definitely took some insane bumps. I always wanted to see someone jump off the top of the titantron, and he must've had the same thought 16

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

Yes the wrestlemania match is the best one...they basically switched roles during the match. Bret went in the the good guy came out the bad guy. Austin came in the bad guy and became the good.

How often have you ever seen something like that pulled off?

No.  The "double turn" is what makes it such a classic match.  Bret Hart is really a tragic figure in wrestling.  His brother dies in a preventable accident in the ring.  He is most known now for "Montreal Screwjob".  Was banished/languished in WCW while the Attitude Era took off and thrived.  And he never got a proper end to his ring career thanks to the concussion/health issues from a Goldberg kick in 2000.  Compare that to Shawn Michaels who came back in 2002 and had sort of a second act to his career.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Bret was anti Attitude era, though. He was going on TV criticizing the WWF and the new turn it had taken with its content. I just don't see him staying in the WWF, and if he did, he would've been fired at some point. But the WCW screwed him over far more than Vince ever did.

Board footer