You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: D Tune

AtariLegend wrote:

So there wasn't a thread dedicated solely to this one or as much talk, unlike Elvis/Zodiac/Quicksong/or even Circus.

I decided to give disk 4 another spin and this stands out as being very, very mid 90s. It's not grunge, but it does sound like a track from the later years of grunge in let's say 95 by a band from that era. Soundgarden definitely come to mind, kind of.

So does anything think this one was finished? Would it have stood out to Axl?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I love D Tune. Soundgarden's Spoonman clearly an influence.

Interesting how the sessions appeared to be going in this direction for awhile.

Comments from years ago with Slash and Izzy saying Axl wanted to make a Pearl Jam record. I think they just meant grunge in general as Soundgarden is more the obvious influence, not Pearl Jam.

They didn't really know what they wanted to do. That brief period of NIN stuff a head scratcher in hindsight as comments at the time made this appear a bigger factor although it was abandoned quickly.

D Tune was certainly worth finishing. Same with Curly Shuffle and The Rebel.

I really wish they had focused more on these types of songs instead of stuff like Madagascar, The Blues, etc.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I'll listen to this again later this week.

A lot of the stuff not commented on, that didn't make it into the Evo Song Archive cloisters around the mean for me.

Some is interesting but purely instrumental. Some is just average.

It lacks both the hyper creative artistry of New GNR and the swing and competence of the AFD5.

I'll see if I revise my opinion this weekend.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Songs like Devious Bastard and Dub Suplex aren't even GNR. They're a long lost pike from Giant Robot. I'd wager my left nut that Prom Violence is a Giant Robot jam. So is Sorry but they turned that into a real song obviously.

I'm in the minority who believes Soul Monster is also in this category. After listening to Zodiac more, I'm leaning towards Giant Robot as well.

These two are essentially finished tracks that have no new GNR "tells" on them....the Finckadelic sound for starters.

How about Tonto and Mustache?

Shit like Shackler's, Real Doll, Dummy are just Bucket sketches....and not the kind from Spain. bucket

Not sure what they were aiming for with stuff like PRL/Thyme.

Oklahoma is still the scorcher of the bunch.

Sky Dog wrote:

I like D Tune better than Oklahoma. Soundgarden clear as day on influence.

I guarantee D Tune got vocals. It is way too strong to be instrumental only.

Link31
 Rep: 1 

Link31 wrote:
James wrote:

Songs like Devious Bastard and Dub Suplex aren't even GNR. They're a long lost pike from Giant Robot. I'd wager my left nut that Prom Violence is a Giant Robot jam. So is Sorry but they turned that into a real song obviously.

I'm in the minority who believes Soul Monster is also in this category. After listening to Zodiac more, I'm leaning towards Giant Robot as well.

Oklahoma is still the scorcher of the bunch.

Personally I think you are out of your mind. lol. "Devious" is actually the best instrumental on it. It's so 90's and rocks hard. Oklahoma and Me and My Elvis are below average, but could be better If I heard the finished product. D Tune is fine too. Evidently, I must be the only one with this opinion, but to each his own.

Sky Dog wrote:

Nope... I love Devious Bastard as well! axlrobinbucket

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

I listened to a couple of these again.

I think Atari is onto something with "D Tune". Good post/thread, Atari.

It feels a little generic and empty at parts, like it's on the cusp of greatness, but that's a compliment compared to some of these which have no space for vocals. "Devious Bastard" is another that has a bit more space in it.

I can picture some Axl harmonizing and typical fast/slow cadence at spots like 1:18 and near the end of the song.

This is why I'm so high on "Oklahoma". It's rockin' but not so hard to alienate normies. I think "D Tune" could be it's B-Side.

Bring up the choral elements in the background, add some fuzzy distortion here and there, and of course proper, non-mopey Axl vocals, and you've got yourself a pretty killer track.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:
James wrote:

These two are essentially finished tracks that have no new GNR "tells" on them....the Finckadelic sound for starters.

I disagree immensely on "Soul Monster" but agree on "Zodiac".

It would've had to have been dialed back like "Sorry" and I'm hoping it only got tamed and that the feeling of uncontrollable electric energy was able to burst through the seams. I'm a huge Buckethead fan but outside of that track I have no reason to grade him higher than a "stunt guitarist" like Slash to Robin Finck's Izzy of bringing the meat and the potatoes to the party. This entire set of discs, he's routinely outshined by Finck individually and the band writ large collectively. Very impressive solo work, however.

"Thyme" and "Circus Maximus" both have potential but are very rough. They can be honed into good tracks with effort, the former a gothic Phillip Glass epic and the latter a smoky, noir grinder.

I'm past the point of patience with this band, it's time to package it up and put it out.

In all likelihood, the effort will fall to the Lebeis crew, a tragedy in equal proportion to the band's failure to launch.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Lost disc 4 so don’t have anything to add. Wish i could hear it again.

Board footer