You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies

James wrote:

I've "rediscovered" this album.  Other than No Excuses, hadn't heard this album in probably 20+ years.  This is reminding me of when I rediscovered Soundgarden's Down on the Upside in 2008. It was like having a new Soundgarden album to digest.

This is all killer, no filler. Rotten Apple is a great opener. Their albums always start off with a bang. How the hell did I forget Nutshell? Wow.

The real highlight for me is the instrumental Whale and Wasp. Mind blowing. It instantly became one of my favorite instrumentals. While it's perfect as is, I wish Layne had come up with lyrics for it.

I also listened to Sap again. I've always had the song Right Turn with Cornell. Incredible. I wish they had worked together more. Got Me Wrong instantly reminded me of the movie Clerks.

I had forgot about the hidden track.

God I miss those days. There was no reason for them to release a 4 song EP between Facelift and Dirt....they just did it.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Nutshell is one of my favorites ever. The solo is great and these lyrics, wow.

“My gift of self is raped
My privacy is raked
And yet I find
And yet I find
Repeating in my head
If I can't be my own
I'd feel better dead”

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I was also listening to the self titled album and it dawned on me....their career only lasted 5 years. That's crazy.

Thank God they were prolific. We could've easily only got two albums from them in that timeframe.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

I've "rediscovered" this album.  Other than No Excuses, hadn't heard this album in probably 20+ years.  This is reminding me of when I rediscovered Soundgarden's Down on the Upside in 2008. It was like having a new Soundgarden album to digest.

This is all killer, no filler. Rotten Apple is a great opener. Their albums always start off with a bang. How the hell did I forget Nutshell? Wow.

The real highlight for me is the instrumental Whale and Wasp. Mind blowing. It instantly became one of my favorite instrumentals. While it's perfect as is, I wish Layne had come up with lyrics for it.

I also listened to Sap again. I've always had the song Right Turn with Cornell. Incredible. I wish they had worked together more. Got Me Wrong instantly reminded me of the movie Clerks.

I had forgot about the hidden track.

God I miss those days. There was no reason for them to release a 4 song EP between Facelift and Dirt....they just did it.

Considering the cover is my avatar...happy to see this post!

I think Nutshell is the song that lives on in infamy...sounds like Layne’s eulogy to himself in retrospect.

Rotten Apple is a fascinating piece of music. No Excuses is a top 5 song all time for me.

All killer no filler? Swing on This sounds like a fun track to put on the end of an album for a band that never took themselves seriously, but you could end it with Don’t Follow and it’s perfect.

Board footer