You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Current Events Thread

mitchejw wrote:

You supported Trump SG....you need to be held accountable.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
James wrote:

Cohen is cooperating with officials.

Something is going down....

Edit

Fuck it...I'm calling it now....

Trump resigns by Monday.

Pence isn't going to take part in the 25th. That's pretty clear.

That means they'll have impeachment drawn up and ready to go next week. I'm no lawyer, but I'd guess that by resigning he may have more of a legal hedge (if he then gets pardoned after resigning for example.) Although not sure how any of that would work. I do not see Trump resigning at all, unless it saves his ass. Or at the very least lowers the severity of the shit storm he has waiting for him post presidency.

Edit: I'm not aware of any new cooperation from Cohen, but he's been working with SDNY for a long time now in their case against trump. It would be worth it to go back and watch his testimony before he went to jail. I'd be curious to see how much of it came to fruition.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Honest question from an Australian....

I remember last year there was a protest in washington, I think it was probably BLM after the george floyd murder,  that threatened whitehouse security to an extent where they put Trump in a bunker for his own safety.

In that instance democrat leaders encouraged a BLM protest, but did not endorse any violence or anything.

Isn't it similar here?

Like Trump and Republican leaders have encouraged people who doubt the legitimacy of the election to protest. I didn't see them actually call for violence however.

Like Trump said they would walk to the capitol - he didn't say take the building or invade the building did he?

Isn't it the case that any one of the recent protests and rallies on both sides could have devolved into violence at any second had the security been similarly inadequate?

Had BLM invaded the white house would be de-platform anyone who called for police reform the same way they now seem to be saying election investigation is unacceptable?

I don't mean to be playing whataboutism, and I consider myself mild left leaning on some issues and mild right leaning on others, and I think the events of the other day are 100% unacceptable....I'm just trying to work out how the response to it should play out....as I feel like it's only chance that there hasn't been many incidents of this nature given how polarised everything has been for so long.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

You're missing the point.

One was ignited by cops unjustly killing a man.
The other was incited by a sitting President based on bs.

BLM protesters had a very valid reason to protest and was a result of dirty cops.
Trumpsters are protesting based on lies fed by Trump.

One can be justified regardless if you/i agree with it or not there is a cause there.
The other is simply unjustifiable.

Imo.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Thanks that's got me thinking some more...

Yeah for the record the footage of the cops killing Floyd was fucked up...it made me so angry just watching it - and I'm a white guy in Australia - I can only imagine how angry it would make people in the USA.

So the issue is basically that the claims of election fraud have no merit then? Like we're saying that because there's no real reason to call a rally then anything that happens at the rally is the fault of the person who called it? As distinct from situations where there's a good reason to have a rally but it goes out of hand?

I'm just trying to get my head around it philosophically...cos the way I see it there's always going to be a percentage of people who will use any protest as an excuse to start shit....so I'm wondering how much liability the organisers should have for that as long as they were not encouraging the violence.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

He created the whole scenario all because he lost the election. There is zero merit to his fraud claims as far a we know and all signs show that to be most likely. He has been getting his followers all riled up on these bs claims since the election results which in turn made his base even angrier all to come to a climax yesterday. All because of his unfounded claims.

Also this guy is the President doing this shit. The one who is supposed to be leading his folk by example. Imagine my or your prez doing similar? It's unthinkable.
The man has the US practically split down the middle, more divided than ever and on dangerous ground all because of him.

That's pretty much how I see it.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

yeah I mostly agree...but I also feel feel like the division is not entirely him...like it started the moment he was elected...and ended up with him vs the press etc...I sometimes wonder if his presidency would have been different if it wasn't Hillary he beat....people were so shocked and outraged that he won...maybe cos they were expecting a female president I don't know...that they went on the attack much more than normal straight away.

Like to illustrate my point...if one believes in left wing principles...I would argue George W Bush was a worse president - I mean he started 2 wars one of which at least was on very shakey claims, opened up USA torture camps overseas, passed the patriot act...basically did a bunch of stuff that messed up America's future and reputation and founding principles IMO as an outsider, but most people will instantly say Trump is the worst in usa history - and I wonder how much of that is because the media has been looking for problems with him from the very start. Mind you he sure gives them plenty to find too 16

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

He was mana from heaven for the media, his own fault he just kept giving them content rather than dropping social media and talking sparingly. Agree on the Bush point, but I hate all this left and right shite. To me it's right or wrong and feck who's party they belong to. That's how I've always lived, I would never pledge allegiance to a political party.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Trump was an awful President, but that doesn't absolve the media or democrats for what they've done through this shit show either. It's been seen on this board, too, people silent or making excuses for the inexcusable, because the people committing violence in the streets sort of hold your political view points, or they're against Trump. And I still can't get over those very people who either justified the violence in the streets for four years (or even the last nine months) by leftists, or just said nothing about it, are suddenly shocked, outraged, and clutching their pearls over this now. You couldn't get them or the media to even call a riot a riot. You had democrats openly calling for (crazy) citizens to harass their political foes, after a near massacre on a softball field. *crickets*

mitchejw wrote:

You supported Trump SG....you need to be held accountable.

Come off it with that shit. There's no such thing as thought crimes.

Board footer