You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: BF Skinner

mitchejw wrote:

I was wondering what you all think about psychology in general and even more specifically BF Skinner. I've spent a lot of time studying Skinner over the years and his particular brand of psychology.

One thing that seemed to stick to him (whether true or not) was that Skinner was anti-free will. This is true even to this day.

The field of psychology is barely 100 years old. That makes it younger than medical science. It also seems as though there is a certain segment of society that is afraid of what psychology has revealed and that it somehow invalidates what I perceive to be old, archaic idea mostly related to god. It also seems offensive to some that anyone would even attempt to understand something that is so sacred and complex as behavior.

I've dedicated my life to the practice of Skinner's behavioral science perspectives. I remember interning at a clinic way back in 2003 and completely falling in love with its brilliance and ability to improve human life but also did not fit in at all with the snooty academics surrounding me. It was an awkward time.

Anyway...I've found it invaluable in life to identify others' reinforcers as well as my own. Although I still engage in some irrational behavior...I'd like to believe that I've minimized that over the years as I subscribed to the though process.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Never heard of him. I do like reading psychology & 'self help' type books. I'll check him out.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Never heard of him. I do like reading psychology & 'self help' type books. I'll check him out.

You've never heard of BF Skinner?

I can't verify this...but I believe he's the most cited psychologist of the 20th century.

He's dead now btw....he died in 1990.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

More so than Freud or Jung?  I haven't read Skinner but thoroughly enjoyed Jung.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

More so than Freud or Jung?  I haven't read Skinner but thoroughly enjoyed Jung.

Yea I'm not sure...he did a TON of research so that might give him the inside track. He basically has 50 years of publications under his belt.

Behaviorism is a rejection of Freud's psychoanalysis.

Board footer