You are not logged in. Please register or login.

AFM
 Rep: 0 

Re: Don't Cry music video release date?

AFM wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

Oh well, there is a plot twist. I looked in Billboard for further confirmation, and the video didn't premiere on October 12 as scheduled, but on October 20 (probably because it wasn't ready):

https://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/20/05/33/00/bb-19912.jpg

Full page:
https://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/20/05/33/00/bb-19911.jpg

Blackstar, even better. Billboard confirms October 12 as the planned date for the premiere, then offers post-confirmation for October 20.
That's great, I can't thank you enough!

EDIT: Just for laughs, here's what someone (draguns) had posted 2 days ago, in another forum:
If it's some help, I do remember it being launched around October 20th. That's my younger brother's birthday. I remember being excited to watch the video.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I always thought that Don’t Cry came out months before UYI. But I guess even back when they were actively working, there were still delays.

I have a question for anyone here that was a fan of the AFD harder sound, what was your initial reaction to them releasing Don’t Cry as a lead single for UYI?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I dunno i loved everything gnr back then

Kohd had already been out for a bit,  civil war was out on the romanian angel appeal disk, ycbm was out for T2 and then DC and the album both dropped...

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I always thought that Don’t Cry came out months before UYI. But I guess even back when they were actively working, there were still delays.

I have a question for anyone here that was a fan of the AFD harder sound, what was your initial reaction to them releasing Don’t Cry as a lead single for UYI?

I agree with Neemo, YCBM was more or less the 'lead single'. The album had much anticipation so anything new was a part of UYI. Really, Civil War came out summer '90. Great song, got alot of radio play, was sortof an advance taste, but ppl thought the album was coming out that fall, so it kinda fell by the wayside & I don't think there was a video so MTV never gave it airplay. (We didn't have cable/MTV sad )

That said, pretty sure the album came out end of Sept, so we heard it all. November Rain made the rounds to some folks via cassette tapes (44 Caliber Horticulte). To answer your question, I think I was 18 at the time, I dunno, I wasn't a huge fan of it. Hated the endings vocals (Toniiiiiiiiiii=iiiiiiii-iiiiiight) and felt it was overproduced. Didn't need to be 2 versions on the album either. Otherwise tho, a 'ballad' or softer side wasn't really a complaint, although I guess there was a 'Why this song"' mentality to it being chosen, but I think ppl knew it likely had to do with marketing/sales & out of their hands. A year later, or even 6 months, post grunge, yeah you're definitely getting a rocker. SCOM was a bit of a chick song, and ballads were big in glam rock, plus there was Patience 2 years before. I'd have preferred a different single but I don't remember people hating the song for being too soft or a ballad, if that's what your asking. Plus, Metallica had Sandman & the Black album for the harder stuff folks. Beatles/Stones.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Is this a lawyer working on a court case? Somebody murdered the day the video came out but nobody could pinpoint the exact day to put the murderer at the scene?

Pretty funny, they probably are and are thinking 'Man, what a bunch of nerds & losers on that site 16 Get a grip folks!  Guns N roses?? About as outdated as message board forums 22 "

j/k.  Yeah did you ever hear the story of the guy who was at a Dodgers game during a Curb Your Enthusiasm scene being filmed? Its crazy, apparently he was a bit rough around the edges, and like his ex-fiancee was killed. So he became a suspect, and he was just like I didn't do it, but all roads pointed to him. Gets charged, trial set etc. His alibi was just 'I hung out with friends that weekend'. Anyway while prepping for trial his lawyers are asking him about everything. I think a friend got the ticket thru a friend or something, so there was no paper trail, no security cameras back then etc (2005?). So lastly, he says 'Oh yeah, they were filming like a movie that day?" 

So the lawyer calls the Dodgers to ask like was there a film on June 10th being shot, and they checked their records and it was, HBO. So he contacts the show, and asks for all the spare footage. So theres a ton of wide shots, scenes of entire sections of fans cheering etc, and yeah, very tiny but in there and this guy & his 2 or 3 friends. Crazy, but it likely saved him from 10-20 years.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

They HAD to launch one of the big guns with the albums release.

While UYI in general had insane levels of hype...a handful of specific songs had been hyped for two years solid... including descriptions of those songs....

Don't Cry
November Rain
The Garden
Coma
Locomotive
Yesterdays
Estranged

Pick one.

The only one that makes sense as a 1st single out of that list is DC. Yesterdays had potential but isn't bombastic enough.

I'll say it til I die...in an alternate universe where Izzy doesn't immediately bail out as UYI launches, Dust N Bones has 2nd single written all over it.

Back then GNR loved doing the unexpected and going against the grain. Having a major single be a killer deep cut with the rhythm guitarist on lead vocals is right up their alley. Would've loved a video for that. Record them performing it in that hangar they were rehearsing in.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

They HAD to launch one of the big guns with the albums release.

While UYI in general had insane levels of hype...a handful of specific songs had been hyped for two years solid... including descriptions of those songs....

Don't Cry
November Rain
The Garden
Coma
Locomotive
Yesterdays
Estranged

Pick one.

The only one that makes sense as a 1st single out of that list is DC. Yesterdays had potential but isn't bombastic enough.

I'll say it til I die...in an alternate universe where Izzy doesn't immediately bail out as UYI launches, Dust N Bones has 2nd single written all over it.

Back then GNR loved doing the unexpected and going against the grain. Having a major single be a killer deep cut with the rhythm guitarist on lead vocals is right up their alley. Would've loved a video for that. Record them performing it in that hangar they were rehearsing in.

Oh man that would’ve been awesome. I’ve always liked live versions of this song better than the disc version.

Damnit Izzy...did it have to go this way?

Sky Dog wrote:

I was at the Noblesville Indiana shows in 1991...before the release. My brother and I really loved Dust N Bones and Estranged...immediately stuck out even though we obviously hadn’t heard them before. axl92

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I was at the Noblesville Indiana shows in 1991...before the release. My brother and I really loved Dust N Bones and Estranged...immediately stuck out even though we obviously hadn’t heard them before. axl92

I love those videos of them playing Estranged for the first time live. You can see what a process it was which is probably pretty obvious but you can see them take their training wheels off with their live performances of the UYI songs which is fun to see.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I saw them in July .... Shoreline Ampitheater.

The UYI hype was driving me crazy. Drooling at the thought of hearing new songs I had read about for years. I'd speculate on which songs they might play with RIP magazine as my guideline.

When AFD-Lies songs were performed, didn't care. My fandom had reached that level of insanity. Playing Brownstone as the second song? Who cares...get it over with. Please let a new one be next. It was It's So Easy...my favorite GNR song at the time. I loved it but I was thinking about new. He then introduced Bad Obsession. I virtually shit my pants. I FINALLY get to hear what this sounds like. After that...Live and Let Die, which already been turned into a MTV video of their Wembley performance.

Next song...

Dust N Bones.

Mind blown. You're absolutely right...a major highlight of the concert. It was all worth the hype we endured.

YCBM got the massive crowd pop due to being the new single.

Hearing November Rain the first  time chilling. Duff's backing vocals were great. Same with Estranged... although it didn't sound like I expected.

We got an extended version of Voodoo Child which was awesome.

We didn't get 14 Years, DC, Coma, or Locomotive. Bummer.

I found out years later that on the first night at Shoreline (we went to the 2nd show), 14 Years and Locomotive were performed.

It's weird how they weren't doing DC much in the leadup to the release. I was expecting it but it didn't happen.

I will forever regret not buying tickets for both nights. Same with Arco. I loved that little arena.... incredible sound...I saw AIC, Anthrax, Slayer, and Megadeth there a few months before the GNR show...yet didn't pull the trigger on tickets.

It will forever be my favorite show.  Youth, drugs(weed), the excitement and anticipation on the drive there....

Izzy was right....that summer 91 lineup was the best band in the world at that moment.

Board footer