You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: NFL 2019

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Goff is not good though.

He's not terrible. I mean, is 31/32 year old Stafford even worth 2 1st rd picks at this point in his career?  Let alone two 1st rounders AND Goff?!

Detroit could do some major damage in the draft if they have their own picks too (not sure if they do).  2 first rounders this year, OL, WR & D in the 2nd rd, next year DL, LB and OL in 2nd round. Or something like that.

Yea I mean...there's just no guarantees in the draft. The only rounds that matter are really 1-5. The 6th and 7th picks rarely make teams. Go back and check the past few years of first round picks. There are as many busts as there are players that pain out. Even in the top 10.

Yeah take a look at the Lions of the past 25+ years or even Cleveland....high draft picks on a regular basis yet still had difficulty climbing out of the division cellar.

Look at 1999 Chargers and Colts. Each had a 50/50 shot in the Leaf/Manning craze.

Imagine that the Chargers pick Manning. It alters the league completely.

Leaf to the Colts

Flutie never wastes tail end of his career in San Diego

San Diego never gets Brees or Rivers.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

I just saw the Lions traded Matt Stafford to the LA RAMS in exchange for Jared Goff and two (TWO!) first round draft picks. Holy shit... Well, good for the Lions. I've thought they needed to trade Stafford for years, but I never thought they'd get that kind of hall. Even if Goff bombs, it's basically a free young QB to take a flyer on. I wouldn't have given up on him this early, but that doesn't matter now. I

Now lets see where Carson Wentz goes. My bet is New England.

There are at lot of teams that need a good qb.  Wentz isn't likely to be traded given that they more or less chose him over Pederson.

misterID wrote:

I'll add Mitch Trubisky, also. I think the Goff trade will really throw a wrench in things in terms of perceived value. He was traded for virtually nothing, just a bow on the package, for a 30+ old QB who's never shown he can win the big game.

I just read Deshaun Watson is next.

Trubisky is a free agent.  Goff was traded and they more or less had to attach a first rounder because his short term contract is pretty bad.  DET is scheduled to pay him something like 43 million dollars in guaranteed money this year.  The Lions can cut him next year if they choose.

PaSnow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Goff is not good though.

He's not terrible. I mean, is 31/32 year old Stafford even worth 2 1st rd picks at this point in his career?  Let alone two 1st rounders AND Goff?!

Detroit could do some major damage in the draft if they have their own picks too (not sure if they do).  2 first rounders this year, OL, WR & D in the 2nd rd, next year DL, LB and OL in 2nd round. Or something like that.

Wags is right.  Goff is pretty mediocre.  I watch him play a fair amount.  He usually falls apart if he has to scan the field and read the defenses.  He looks great when the first read or option from the McVay playcall is open.  He throws a pretty pass too.  He's basically holding the Rams back at this point.

Philly already chose Hurts, they started him in the second. Why in the world would they pass up a trade when they already started and played his replacement?

I will not shocked to see the Bears put a tag on Trubiski.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

Philly already chose Hurts, they started him in the second. Why in the world would they pass up a trade when they already started and played his replacement?

Because he and the head coach had a horrible relationship and PHI chose to fire the head coach and hire a new HC that is an offensive guy.  That probably says that they'll give Wentz one last shot this year before ditching him.  And Hurts isn't the long term answer.

The Bears would be wasting their time with Trubisky.  Because you'll get a few good games, a lot of stinkers and some average games.  He's not the answer short or long term.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

I just saw the Lions traded Matt Stafford to the LA RAMS in exchange for Jared Goff and two (TWO!) first round draft picks. Holy shit... Well, good for the Lions. I've thought they needed to trade Stafford for years, but I never thought they'd get that kind of hall. Even if Goff bombs, it's basically a free young QB to take a flyer on. I wouldn't have given up on him this early, but that doesn't matter now. I

Now lets see where Carson Wentz goes. My bet is New England.

There are at lot of teams that need a good qb.  Wentz isn't likely to be traded given that they more or less chose him over Pederson.

misterID wrote:

I'll add Mitch Trubisky, also. I think the Goff trade will really throw a wrench in things in terms of perceived value. He was traded for virtually nothing, just a bow on the package, for a 30+ old QB who's never shown he can win the big game.

I just read Deshaun Watson is next.

Trubisky is a free agent.  Goff was traded and they more or less had to attach a first rounder because his short term contract is pretty bad.  DET is scheduled to pay him something like 43 million dollars in guaranteed money this year.  The Lions can cut him next year if they choose.

PaSnow wrote:

Wags is right.  Goff is pretty mediocre.  I watch him play a fair amount.  He usually falls apart if he has to scan the field and read the defenses.  He looks great when the first read or option from the McVay playcall is open.  He throws a pretty pass too.  He's basically holding the Rams back at this point.

The Bears are gonna tag Robinson...can you tag more than one player?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

Because he and the head coach had a horrible relationship and PHI chose to fire the head coach and hire a new HC that is an offensive guy.  That probably says that they'll give Wentz one last shot this year before ditching him.  And Hurts isn't the long term answer.

The Bears would be wasting their time with Trubisky.  Because you'll get a few good games, a lot of stinkers and some average games.  He's not the answer short or long term.

I think my thought process on Trubisky has changed. I agree, he's nothing special and it's sad to see a second overall pick wasted.

The problem is that you have to do the full analysis. You can't just get rid of someone and have no plan or a bad plan to replace someone. When the Bears fired Lovie Smith...I remember feeling like...yeah, ok...but what's the plan? There wasn't one. It was just fire him and haphazardly select a new coach. Mark Trestman is all the proof I need to show that the Bears don't plan thing. It's based off of bean counting.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

The Bears are gonna tag Robinson...can you tag more than one player?

The franchise tag, no.  They have the option of using the transition tag which is less but there's zero compensation.  It's more or less like an offer sheet.  With the franchise tag, you always get something in return if he signs with another team.

mitchejw wrote:

I think my thought process on Trubisky has changed. I agree, he's nothing special and it's sad to see a second overall pick wasted.

The problem is that you have to do the full analysis. You can't just get rid of someone and have no plan or a bad plan to replace someone. When the Bears fired Lovie Smith...I remember feeling like...yeah, ok...but what's the plan? There wasn't one. It was just fire him and haphazardly select a new coach. Mark Trestman is all the proof I need to show that the Bears don't plan thing. It's based off of bean counting.

They only have four options here:

Trade for someone better (Watson), trade draft picks to move up from #20 to draft one of the top 4 qbs in the draft, sign an UFA (like Jameis Winston), and stick with the same qb group like last year.

They would have to give up 2-3 first rounders, some other picks and a young defensive starter or two for Watson.  Trading up to #7 (Detroit's pick which is clearly for sale) would cost them 2 first rounders.  I just don't know whether or not they may do it.  There are like 7 or 8 teams that draft before them that need qb's.  They are going to have to move up and give up draft picks if they are looking to the draft again to solve the decades old qb problem.  Them picking the right qb is also another issue.

And honestly, trading for Watson or drafting a qb in round 1 buys the Pace/Nagy show ANOTHER year.  Going with Trubisky just wastes another year of some of those great defensive players the Bears.  The other guy I might try to trade for who wouldn't cost much (outside of cap space) would be Bridgewater.  He's boring as fuck but he doesn't turn the ball over and elimates the WTF plays I've seen from the CHI quarterbacks.

Edit: Just saw that Derrick Carr might be traded by the Raiders.  There's another guy the Bears can trade for.  Will cost less than Watson but can make all the throws and nowhere near as conservative as Bridgewater.  And the two teams' front offices obviously have familiarity with one another.

The Bears have options here, whether or not they choose to pursue them is up to the FO.  But they can't sit there and say Trubisky was the best option.  No one will believe that.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

Looks like I was wrong on Wentz and he'll be traded soon, maybe to the Bears.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Supposedly Foles will be  a part of the trade, too. I'm shocked they didn't go after Watson. Maybe they did? I thought the Patriots would be a player for Wentz. Don't see Trubisky signing a tender now.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

I think it would be awful if they have to give up much. He's not worth a first round pick to me.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

Supposedly Foles will be  a part of the trade, too. I'm shocked they didn't go after Watson. Maybe they did? I thought the Patriots would be a player for Wentz. Don't see Trubisky signing a tender now.

The cost for Watson is going to be very high and their draft position is the lowest like at #20.  Other teams like the Jets, Dolphins and Panthers have higher picks/multiple picks.  They probably inquired and didn't want to pay that much.

The thing with the Pats is I think they are going to wait and see if Jimmy G gets cut from the Niners.  That's their solution I think, otherwise they might be looking at another stopgap veteran type unless they draft one in round 1.

mitchejw wrote:

I think it would be awful if they have to give up much. He's not worth a first round pick to me.

Two things: there aren't enough good qb's in the league.  And the Bears are desperate, supposedly both Pace and Nagy are under pressure to win next year.  When you are in that scenario, you overpay.  The Bears QB coach was there in PHI with Wentz and has a good relationship.

Board footer